PDA

View Full Version : What oil do you use?

garethcolley
25-05-08, 07:55 PM
What oil do people tend to use on LET's especially high power?
Anyone had any bad experiences with certain brands?

leenovagsi
25-05-08, 09:02 PM
hi i know a few people runnin skylines cossies evos an imprezas all swear by castrol magnatec im runnin it in my gsi 1.6 no complaints hope this helps neva use cheapo brands as they dont refine it enough ,try a motorworld store they got 20%off it at the mo

craig green
26-05-08, 09:04 PM
I hate Magnatec. MOBIL 1 is likely too thin & it'll smoke.

I use cheap semi-synth & change it often. Never let oil go black.

Stuart
26-05-08, 09:12 PM
Vauxhalls own Oil 15-40 or there abouts. As Mr green said. Change it lots.

I'm running Carlube 5/30 fully synth as its cheap as fook, but will change to something else next time (bear in mind thats in an engine that isnt old as funk lol) For any 90's or earlier GM engine I'd not drop lower then 10 for the first number

General Baxter
26-05-08, 09:27 PM
I use cheap semi-synth & change it often. Never let oil go black.

tip it in the car with the sump plug off, it bloody comes out black lol

craig green
27-05-08, 02:11 PM
tip it in the car with the sump plug off, it bloody comes out black lol

I do. I waste about a pint just trying to get the last of the crap out.

If you dont neglect the oil though, it wont be so black next time..... (sure you know that)

Stuart
27-05-08, 02:18 PM
I tend to do an intermediate filter change too, but on the nova/let/xe its tricky as you lose oil where as the 2.2 you dont :D

ck
27-05-08, 02:58 PM
i allways ran genuine vauxhall 10/40 semi in my let. chznged oil and fliter at less than 3k intervals..

mayhem
27-05-08, 05:58 PM
vmax and eds advice 10w50 or 10w60.

Stuart
28-05-08, 09:04 AM
be warned that 50+ oils tend to be a litlte thick during colder months... I ran a 10/60 fully synth oil for a year and it was perfect in summer, but in winter as the engine warmed up it was a little rattely as it wasnt warm enough to keep the oil happy..... Its fine in big 6cylinder BMW engines and well abused track cars in winter but for normal driving its not the best imho.

Clean 2.0 nova
28-05-08, 09:37 PM
I use vauxhall semi synthetic. It's supposed to be very well rated.

andrewspencer2004
28-05-08, 11:51 PM
magantec is overpriced crap, use a decent semi synth like millers 10w/40, possibly move to a 15w/40 for the winter, dont go thiner than 10w/40 on an oe engine esp if it has more than 40k or so on it

ste porter
29-05-08, 12:24 AM
i have had alot of people tell me and personal exsperiance that for some odd reason certain castrol oils tend to make xe motors smoke!

im running vauxhalls own 10/40 semi synth in my current xe but its due a change very shortly so im going to try and hunt down some morris oil amazing stuff realy is but i cant seem to find anybody that sells it anymore go in halfrauds and ask for morris oil and the spot infested 12 foot tall geek that every halfrauds seems to have will proberly stand there and look at you as if you just introduced him to running water

morris oil a few years back is what alot of race teams used to use despite having cars plastered in castrol and silkholine ect

garyc
29-05-08, 08:27 AM
I dont understand how Molbil 1 can be too thin? It is all down to the film strength of the oil not how thick it is. Synthetics have a stronger film strength one of the reasons they are so good. They also are not a mixture of compounds unlike your mineral oils, some of which easily oxidise and cause all you black crud so that means you can run them longer between changes. The thinner the oil also gets it flowing at start up so it protects your engine.

Synthetic all the way for me.

Stuart
29-05-08, 08:35 AM
i have had alot of people tell me and personal exsperiance that for some odd reason certain castrol oils tend to make xe motors smoke!

im running vauxhalls own 10/40 semi synth in my current xe but its due a change very shortly so im going to try and hunt down some morris oil amazing stuff realy is but i cant seem to find anybody that sells it anymore go in halfrauds and ask for morris oil and the spot infested 12 foot tall geek that every halfrauds seems to have will proberly stand there and look at you as if you just introduced him to running water

morris oil a few years back is what alot of race teams used to use despite having cars plastered in castrol and silkholine ect

ohhh my local olde worldy motorfactors has Morris oils in stock :D all 3 cars need a change too.