PDA

View Full Version : To be Twin 40s & AST1 cam or not that is the question

mikeoxford
09-09-02, 11:16 PM
have tehe opportunity to buy weber twin dcoe 40s and a kent ast1 high lift cam.

full rebuild undertaken, complete with manifold, all mount bolts, vacuum hoses, throttle linkage, fuel pressure reg, modded alternator bracket, trumpets, k&n filters, fuel pump.

cam is described as ast1 kent high lift cam.

price for the lot advertised at ?400

question is shall i get my 1400SR running on a weber 32/34 rebuilt with a 1.2 worked on head for extra compression, and buy the above and do it, or not basically.

or be happy with wot i got? cos i suppose it wouldnt be worth it if i didnt see much power gains, as i may as well run a boggo standard higher BHP engine right?

Cheese
10-09-02, 12:16 AM
If you can afford it, then BUY BUY BUY! 40's and a cam will give you a big increase over what you have now.. A worked head (either 1.2, 1.3, 1.4)will further increase the bhp, and a full rebuild will only help.. Basically mate, if you want more power then spend the money, it will be worth it! Or if you dont want to spend all that money, then just get the cam on its own..

Hope that helps

Ben :)

mikeoxford
10-09-02, 09:53 PM
would it be worth it? would i see much power gains, as i may as well run a boggo standard higher BHP engine right??

mix n match
10-09-02, 10:23 PM
mike
did that carb make much differance to the performance :?: ??????

just askin cos i have just re-built my 1.4 with a 1.3 head AST 1 cam and 32/34 dtml carb added to my full sportex zorst and fannymould but cant drive it till the weekend when its set up and want a idea what it will be like :twisted: .

anyway back to the topic BUY BUY BUY my m8 has just put twin 40's on his 1.3 and they aint eaven set up yet but he has trouble off the lights cos despite having 17's with 215 tyres he cant stop spinning em (his only other mod is a backbox) :lol: :lol: :twisted:

mikeoxford
10-09-02, 10:41 PM
well my first car was a very flat 1.2, think the engine was on way out.

i went from this to my 1400 SR which already had the 32/34 fitted by chris ward (previous owner)

i am going to ask my mate if i can have a bash in his standard 1.4sr, and see how i think it compares.

having drove a 1.3 standard, i can say it is a different drive, because on a normal carb when you pull and accelerate it just goes, but with the 32 34 when the second carb inlet opens up at however many revs it does, it seems to be that bit more perky and more responsive

hhmmm i REALLY wana do the twin 40s and cam, and maybe the head as well, but with al the money i just think shouldnt i just be gettin a bigger engine!?!?!

spose a rebuild and some mods is better than an engine swap but is it worth it??

Cheese
10-09-02, 10:49 PM
Im guessing you you are thinking of changing the engine to something bigger than what you have now? I guess it depends what you want mate, at the end of the day if you want a faster car then buy the 40's and the cam and do it, or if you want even more power then buy a bigger engine (1600 gte, corsa 16v, etc) and put the carbs on that.. If you are happy with what you have now, and are not really worried about going overly fast, then keep the engine as it is.. Or rebuild it and put the head on that you were talking about and maybe a complete exhaust system..
You WONT regret it if you do buy the carbs, and if for some reason you decide you dont like them, you can always sell them on again for similar money and go back to your old setup..

BUY BUY BUY! You know you want to! :twisted:

Ben :D

Jim
11-09-02, 11:23 AM
The noise that they make alone is worth the money (well, not quite ;))

?400 seems like a good price for that lot. You will notice a huge difrence in power compared to what you have now. The carbs and re-build will bring an instant smile to your face when you put your foot down :D

I've had my carbs for over 6 months now and I haven't got tired of flooring it. Probably one of the best things I've bought for my car. I don't regret buying them at all. Just be prepared to use Shell optimax for best performance, and don't be surprised if you start visiting the grage twice as much as you use to. Twin 40's drink petrol (and oil). I'd recommend regular oil changes.

Also, give the car a few minutes to warm up before you start flooring it.

Jim

CP
12-09-02, 12:20 AM
Mike.
Whether or not you get on with them is almost incidental to the deal itself.
?400 is pretty top dollar and its going to cost you a fair bit more - fuel pressure regulator, throttle linkage, inlet manifold, gasket kits etc.

However, if you decide that they aren't any good for you you will be able to sell them again without losing out.

mikeoxford
12-09-02, 12:02 PM
cheers for all you opinions.

CP mate.

i am getting all the stuff you mentioned in with the ?400 so do you think it is worth it then? recently refurbed and has all the stuff required to fit. think i said in my initial post everything that i get.

do you think if i try to sell them on i will see the same money back in me pocket?

Jim
12-09-02, 12:11 PM
?400 for a reconditioned twin 40 set up is a bargain. If you don't take the parts of this guy soon, I'm sure someone will beat you to it ;)