PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft?

xxspudxx
25-05-08, 05:20 PM
pulled my car out the warehouse earlier to paint the inside and it wouldnt move very well, jack car up both sides and the wheels dont spin freely at all, its really clunky and horrible.

Its an f13 and fitted with a Tran-x Lsd. Why would this be happening? Shafts not in correctly or dif not been fitted right? cant work it out myself

Lee
25-05-08, 05:45 PM
The car will be an **** to push unless your pushing it in a dead straight line. When your trying to spin one wheel it will be spinning the other in the same direction as well as the gears on the transmission shaft, instead of just the other wheel in the opposite direction.

I wouldnt worry about it unless your getting nasty noises when your driving it (again, in a straight line as it will clunk when cornering ass the diff will be resisting the different wheel speeds)

xxspudxx
25-05-08, 06:06 PM
right o i'll take your word for it, i knew both wheels would spin in same direction (whole point of the lsd) but just thought would spin bit more freely, but thinking about it when had engine running other day they were spinning fine, if gear box ****s it self then will just have to build up another one.....hopefully not though

xxspudxx
26-05-08, 09:28 AM
has anyone got a pic of driverside driveshaft in the gear box, doesnt look like mine is sitting in as far as it should when compared to other side

Dod
26-05-08, 11:14 AM
Is the car in gear??? Its possible that its been left in 3rd, 4th or 5th Gear....

Lee
26-05-08, 12:25 PM
has anyone got a pic of driverside driveshaft in the gear box, doesnt look like mine is sitting in as far as it should when compared to other side

They never look like theyre seated properly, but by a rule of thumb, if its not leaking gearbox oil, its in properly (provided you have the oil at the correct level).

xxspudxx
26-05-08, 02:17 PM
car not in gear, and it was leaking yesterday, so i took shaft out and put in again, not leaked i dont think but still really clunky and horrible, just doesnt seem right

Welsh Dan
26-05-08, 03:03 PM
Undo the bottom balljoint, if you can then pull the shaft out without tugging on it, its out, if you have to use the steering knuckle as a slide hammer then it was in lol.

xxspudxx
26-05-08, 04:35 PM
i can tug the shaft without pulling it out......that could sound dodgy

craig green
26-05-08, 08:29 PM
The shaft is meant to float in & out of the inner CV, as the suspension moves up & down it requires this 'plunge' to allow a change in shaft length.

So long as the shaft is properly clipped into the inner CV joint & the CV is firmly whacked into the box, all should be good, that end.

jimbob-mcgrew
26-05-08, 08:52 PM
^ yeh what craig said mate, if you dont think its in, using a big flat head screwdriver as a punch and a hammer to hit it with, give the shaft a few whacks on a solid point of the c.v (not the boot obviously), rotate it 180 degress so u can hit it on the opposing side aswel, should go in, if its being really stubborn, u could disconnect the steering rod arm, and the lower arm connections from the hub and use the hubs weight to ram into the box, doesnt happen often, but u can sometimes hear it click, good luck.

xxspudxx
26-05-08, 11:08 PM
cheers for help, am sure its all in correctly, been thinking about it tonight and started thinking maybe it could be clutch related or something, i dunno, gonna have a play about

Dod
26-05-08, 11:30 PM
Does the car drive?

xxspudxx
26-05-08, 11:38 PM
only moved it forward about 10 metres yesterday, it moves, didnt feel brilliant though, which is when i noticed the leak from the box, but stopped the leak but it still feels rough, not tried driving again though but just doesnt feel right

Dod
26-05-08, 11:45 PM
Its leaking fluid? Find out where and why.

xxspudxx
27-05-08, 12:10 AM
looked like was coming from where shaft goes in, so took shaft out and smacked it back in (buu to be fair didnt look any different) but doesnt seem to be leaking, might just take everything apart and start again

Dod
27-05-08, 09:06 AM
Best option mate.