PDA

View Full Version : Sparying side panels black

ive_had_a_novadose
25-05-08, 01:16 PM
I have recently sprayed my dash black and all turned out ok and not flaking ect.. as its a squidgy type of material but i sprayed the plastic side panels in the boot and rear bench black and now its starting to flake off is there anything that i can use like plastic primer before i put the final coat of black on it to make it bond better and not flake off this is what i mean by flaking off :mad: i am not happy lol

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u163/jay_hughes_album/P5240008.jpg

Iain
25-05-08, 01:30 PM
Did you just put normal paint on it? You'll need to prime it before paint.

Jeff16v
25-05-08, 01:52 PM
If its flaking off you may as well get it all of and start again. Plastic primer is more flexible but you normally get a special kit for dash\panels.

ive_had_a_novadose
25-05-08, 03:18 PM
yea its just the flexible vynal spray can and thats it worked fine on the dash itself but these other bits are going abit pete tong so are you saying that i need to get some plastic primer and apply that first and then the black vynal spray?

Iain
25-05-08, 03:51 PM
Don't use the flexible stuff! I tried on the mk2 fusebox cover and it just flakes off like yours has done. Prime the plastics first and use normal black paint.

ive_had_a_novadose
25-05-08, 04:33 PM
on the squidgy material that flexible stuff was bang on it hasnt flaked at all dont even come off when i scratch my nail across it but the bare plastics just dont want to be sprayed lol i think im going to just get some plastic primer give it a coat of that then spray over with flexible paint as i dont want it cracking when i come to refit

Jack
25-05-08, 05:45 PM
Make sure you give lots of light, even coats. And clean the surface well before painting, you'll probably find the sections that have flaked are where some dust or grease was on the plastic.