PDA

View Full Version : PV RWYB Tips?

Nobby
24-05-08, 11:42 AM
Am hoping to get my nova up the strip at pod but am worried incase i misread the lights or miss a gear :tard: or something lol any tips for 1st timers?? (and yes i have used KY before anyone states it) lol

General Baxter
24-05-08, 11:45 AM
get out and walk, that heavy big block my slow you down lol
start in 2nd ;)

lol i have trouble pulling away from lights in a 1.4 in second lol

Iain
24-05-08, 11:50 AM
If you haven't done RWYB before, here's what you have to do:

1) Attempt a burnout in the water patch under the tower when the start line is clear of the previous pairing. How you do this will depend on whether your car is front or rear wheel drive. This will help warm and clean the tyres. Don't attempt to burn out in 4WD cars unless you know what you are doing.

2) Roll up to the start line slowly when the starter beckons you forward. Try and stay roughly level with your opponent.

3) As your front wheels reach the start line, a pair of orange bulbs will light on your side of the starting "tree" This means you are "pre-staged" and you are just inches away from being in the right position.

4) Roll forward a fraction more, and another pair of orange bulbs will light below the first pair. This means that you are in the right starting position.

5) When both you and your opponent have all staging lights lit, you are ready to go, so lift you engine revs, and get ready to drop the clutch..the starting tree lights will flash orange and then immediately green. Now is the time to GO! GO! GO!

6) Don't worry if you mess it up- the starting official will help you do the right thing. keep an eye on him for direction.

7) You can collect your timing slip from the signing on office. There is no charge for collecting your print-outs.

5 RWYB Tips for a great ET:

Avoid wheel spin on the run.

Avoid hitting the rev-limiter.

Change gear as smoothly and quickly as possible.

Race on a warm, but not hot engine.

Remember to take the handbrake off!!!

:)

General Baxter
24-05-08, 11:55 AM
Remember to take the handbrake off!!!

how gutted would you be lol

Philsutton
24-05-08, 12:32 PM
do a massive wheel spin in the water /oil to get crap off the wheels and let some air out the tyres, I normally run without 10-15psi (although that will go up once you spun the wheels anyway)

Dicko's
24-05-08, 12:40 PM
how gutted would you be lol

whats a handbrake lol

dhdev (Oli)
24-05-08, 12:41 PM
Starting in 2nd? i always start in first in mine, i have to go steady to combat wheelspin but always felt that was best. Not sure the smallblocks have the torque for 2nd gear starts? :confused:

Lee
24-05-08, 01:17 PM
1) Attempt a burnout in the water patch under the tower when the start line is clear of the previous pairing. How you do this will depend on whether your car is front or rear wheel drive. This will help warm and clean the tyres. Don't attempt to burn out in 4WD cars unless you know what you are doing.

Dont agree with this unless you have an LSD. All you'll do is spin up one wheel, leaving the other one wet and cold, so it'll just spin that one on launch. Best way is to try to avoid the water, but at Pod they make that almost impossible.

draper
24-05-08, 01:23 PM
every car ive seen at pod that does a 2nd gear launch has always run a **** time

id say that it depends what tyoe of drag you want, if you just want to beat the car next to you - hold her steady on the handbrake, keep the revs about 4'000, as soon as the red light goes out dump the clutch and hang on - dont go all the way upto the limiter in each gear, change about 500-1'000 before

if you just want to set better times id advise letting the other car leave on the green lights, your timing doesnt start untill you break the timing beam so getting all flustered on the start line wont help

General Baxter
24-05-08, 01:49 PM
Starting in 2nd? i always start in first in mine, i have to go steady to combat wheelspin but always felt that was best. Not sure the smallblocks have the torque for 2nd gear starts? :confused:

sorry im use to over 300Lb of touque lol

Philsutton
24-05-08, 06:40 PM
Pfffft 400 lbft+ is where its at, ive done loads of second gear starts ( thats what I did at Trax for the 0-60 run). Only thing is I needed to get massive amounts of wheel spin for it to work, otherwise it came off boost an bogged down badly.

Oh an also if you dont have an lsd when doing a burnout turn the steering from side to side to force the other wheel to spin, but if you dont then you will do as lee said an spin the wheel that wasnt spinning off the line lol

General Baxter
24-05-08, 06:45 PM
bah 4x4 3.2ton wheel spins are where its at lol

Adam
24-05-08, 08:06 PM
2nd gear starts aint needed unless your running serious torque.

I also dont get why people spin the f**k out of there NORMAL road tyres. They are designed with everyday driving, at a low operating temperature. 60ft burnouts aint needed IMO lol.
Different story on slicks etc of course.

Also dont drop the clutch, that will just see you wheelspin all through 1st gear.
You need to pull away quickly but without spinning.

Count Vaux Alot
24-05-08, 08:56 PM
good thread people very useful!

Timmy
25-05-08, 12:06 AM
i hvae a spare set of tyers on wheels there shagged so almost slik will that make a difference ?
some one last eyar was talking about tyer softer will that help and where are you get it fomr
and fual additives worth it or notr ?

smcgsi16v
25-05-08, 12:07 AM
Make sure your arms and legs are covered, otherwise your not going to be going forward.

peester
25-05-08, 12:34 AM
ive never ran before,.. but my tip would be (not to be a kill joy) to do your first ever run on a more quiet rwyb day .. i will, if i pluck up the courage lol.. ide imagine ide be quite nervous if im honest, all that build up queing,.. then feathering ur way onto the line with the two yellow lights, then a good start.. suppose after that its just down to how sweaty ur palms have got..

Adam
25-05-08, 12:38 AM
Just run on the Saturday, unlimited runs so you can afford to **** a few of them up(which most people do)

turbodrew1
25-05-08, 03:36 AM
as soon as you see green lights mate f**kin nail it!

Philsutton
25-05-08, 09:15 AM
Oh also if your going to going to be pulling 110+mph terminal speeds you will need a helmet otherwise they wont let you run again. I ran a 120+mph once and without a helmet and they went mental lol

Martin
25-05-08, 09:21 AM
Oh also if your going to going to be pulling 110+mph terminal speeds you will need a helmet otherwise they wont let you run again. I ran a 120+mph once and without a helmet and they went mental lol

LOL

"i dint kno it would go that fast":roll: