PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 16v or 1.6 16v

locky
09-09-02, 05:29 PM
After christmas im going to be dropping in a larger engine, but what i need to know how much work is invloved in fitting a 1.4 16v, and a 1.6 16v, bcos whilst the engine is out, if its just as much trouble, id mite as well put the 1.6 in,
Also, i will be doing up the engine b4 it goes in (eg. cams, twin carbs, e.t.c.....)
Thanx for ne feedback

Ben (lurk75)
09-09-02, 05:42 PM
IMO i would say that both those engines are the same amount of work, as you may well know i am in the middle of doing the 1600 16v into my GSi and to be honest it has been a nightmare. But this is due to me going into it blind and not thinking about it that much. I am currently helping a guy in Caldicott put the 1600 16v into his (not phyisacally) but he has been over a couple of times to look at my car and to see where it all fits etc.
He has also just gave me the wiring diagrams i neede to complete mine.
As your only in Cardiff you are more than welcome to come and have a look at my in situ and decide for yourself. I will also explain all the plus and negatives and what to watch out for.

It really isnt that hard it was me just cocking things up that has slowed me down. would be well worth it though.

my engine is staying standard until im back from the far east but Will had already got a BTB manifold and is looking into a Mantzel power box. we have both decided not to bother with cams due to there being two ?477 worth and the gain is onlt about 3-4 BHP

Hope this helps give me a shout if you need owt else

locky
09-09-02, 09:14 PM
Thanx lurk, and thanx for the "come and see offer", does the engine bay need seam welding on either of the mods?
Also, is ther a site that tells you wot sort of work is needed to fit a larger engine?
Thanx again,

Ben (lurk75)
09-09-02, 11:38 PM
i think there is a site called valvers.co.uk or something.

As with regards to seam welding there isnt any need if your going to keep the car's power quite low but if you wanna take it above 130BHP then it is always advisable.

Basically the physical things you will need are: Engine, loom, ECU, Hoses, different altenator or bracket (whatever way round you do it), accelarator cable. I changed my mounts but there optional. there is also a discrepancy between the two exhausts depending on what car you get the engine from.

But as i said if you wanna have a look it does come a lot more obvious, i have got some pics of mine that i am waiting to have scanned in for me by my lazy brother. But if your over this way gimme a shout and you can have a browse.

Dicko
10-09-02, 09:19 AM
you can also mail me if u have any probs. iv now had my engine in 2 novas. and done a complete rebuild of the head and come across just about every problem u can do.

the exhaust is a t**t. what id recomend is to book it into an exhaust place before you plan on fitting, telling them you will need the downpipe joining to the syetm as ther not gonna be a direct fit, or for them to make you a system. otherwise, chop off the end of your system and downpipe, and use a flexipipe to join them.
iv managed to use the 16v manifold, a nova gte downpipe (at a funny angle) and a standard gte system+backbox but its a bugger and rattles on the bottom of the car.

the alternator does not need to be changed, but you might aswell if you can get the parts to do it as it makes things easier if you have problems with it (you need a nova sri/gsi bottom pulley and all the nova brackets) i have the 100amp wide belt on mine and doesnt touch on anything.

the engine itself is as easy to fit as a noba gte/gsi engine, apart from the exhaust.

you might need to get a manuakl idle valve from SBD as every1 i know thats done this conversion has had idle problems. iv also been told fitting an uprated chip fixes this.

if your looking for an engine at some point mail me becuz i should be getting another 1 in good condition this week, and i will be fitting new seals/cambelt/head gasket, and then maybe sel it on

Dicko
10-09-02, 09:23 AM
i forgot to mention, you can get cams for much less than lurk said, but most places advice against this. for a start the valve clearance is very slim, if you get a high lift cam you might b getting a bit of valve slap, or valve bendage :s
you need to get pocketed pistons if you want a high lift cam really.

and i wouldnt bother with twin carbs, by the time you have finished geting all the parts you need for this to work on the dispac you would have been far better off going for throttle bodies!!

Ben (lurk75)
10-09-02, 12:27 PM
Yeah throttle bodies were recommended to me as the best option but i aint got that sort of cash at the moment, with these engines there are loads of stuff you can do just read total vauxhall as there are loads of ads in there.

with my altenator i managed to get a corsa GSi wide belt one for ?25 and this just bolted straight on and i didnt have to bend the inner arm or anything like that. I do know a guy quite close to you (locky) who will be able to supply a altenator very cheaply.

Dicko whats that about the idle valve i havent been told about that? is it essential to the engines running or just does it improve it?

Mine should be on the road in 10-14 days :roll:

Dicko
10-09-02, 12:59 PM
basically it will keep cutting out on idle once the engine has warmed up

locky
10-09-02, 05:01 PM
Thanx for the feedback lads, very much appreciated!

brian
10-09-02, 07:40 PM
i had a 1600 16v in my last nova and had the idle prob but unfortunately over here that transplant isnt too common and i was unable to get any help bout it! :roll:

Dicko
10-09-02, 09:38 PM
its uncommon over here aswell m8, i have yet to speak to a single person that has any idea about it.
if you speak to companys that deal with them, they simply say 'stick throttle bodies on it' like thats there solution to everything, well i intend to just niot yet its alot of money.
last year when i did mine i was told a few things with people that had this conversion, well 2 people, the only 2 in the country as i knew of, and they were completely wrong, with them not doing the conversion themselves!

Ben (lurk75)
10-09-02, 11:10 PM
so what do you recomend then Dicko?

Locky: i sold a 1600 16v engine with 27k on the clock for ?300 last week complete with the ECU etc.

Dicko
11-09-02, 09:30 AM
Lurk you git sellin an engine that cheap i would of had that :)

and what do you mean by wot do i recomend?

Ben (lurk75)
11-09-02, 09:41 AM
what do you recomend for the idle control? what is the best way round it?

as regards to the engine i never rip people off i paid ?250 for it and ?50 for an hours work is fair as i did get dirty :!: plus it was a rush job that had to be done the same day.

My car has been added to the features so if your interested have a look at it, its under GSi's

locky
11-09-02, 05:02 PM
Hmm, 300 quid eh.... spose if i get the lump in first, i can then tune it, the plan was to tune it and then drop it in, but i think it'd b easier in the long run to tune it after its under the bonnet!
Id most prob take it somwer 2 get fitted instead of me doing it as i can then get an engineers report and keep my insurers happy!

Ben (lurk75)
11-09-02, 05:22 PM
good luck with finding someone who will take the job on, they are out there but they charge a bloody fortune. Like i said if you need any help gimme a shout as i will be back around the 14-15 January (maybe :lol: )

I am always advertising engines for sale and i can always source engines within 7 days (except turbos wich take about 3-4 weeks) People think that engines are a lot more than they are, can supply 2.0l 16v for ?350 all day everyday and normally get a 1600 16v for the same price (the ?300 one was a bargain)
if your looking for one always worth giving me a shout :wink:

brian
11-09-02, 08:09 PM
well dicko. thats the only thing that pissed me off bout that engine! so you have sorted that out! i intend to get big HP outta one of these engines again in the future. i currently have a 2l 16v and would prefer a 1600 16v with bigger hp. thats just my opinion and im sure only a few might agree but i know the 1600 has massive potential. my old one is now in a rally car and is puttin out 190 bhp and its not a heavy engine!. :)

locky
11-09-02, 09:34 PM
Gota b honest, id do the conversion myself, but the only thing is, is that i need an engineers report, to keep the insurance happy!
Il b doing it after christmas(feb time!), so u may be back by then Lurk!
Thanx

Dicko
11-09-02, 10:44 PM
some engine pics now up under my name.

michael dickinsons sri 1.6 16v