PDA

View Full Version : 8v small block on Throttle bodies

meritlover
23-05-08, 12:50 PM
out of interest, how many 8V smallblock engines are out there with TBs?

MC
23-05-08, 01:22 PM
Was one racing in the TOYO tyres series a few years back. Was supposed to be good.

dhdev (Oli)
23-05-08, 01:56 PM
There used to be a highly modded sport that ran tb's a number of years back IIRC.

Lee
23-05-08, 02:05 PM
Both fine examples of Turd Polishing :)

Will F
23-05-08, 02:14 PM
Both fine examples of Turd Polishing :)

tsk tsk....

Aint many about tbh, proves (ish) that the gains arent worth the extra ££ over carbs...

craig green
23-05-08, 02:21 PM
A chap local to me ran a GTE in the hot hatch race series years ago (circa 96). IIRC it was about 180bhp maybe a tad more. He won the championship in it & I remember the ad for it when it was for sale in Fast Car (back when the mag wasnt full of body kits & tits).

However I believe the result is a very peaky engine with a large torque hole below the power band. Typically tuners have managed to get a good spread of power from the twin cam lumps.

There was a discussion on here about this only a few months back.

dhdev (Oli)
23-05-08, 02:22 PM
Just dug this up from MIG (2003) a guy by the user name PaulW

''Ive got Jenvy 40-45 taper throttle bodies on my 1397 8v using dta on my Nova Sport. Ive used the Irmscher manifold for the bdies which are dcoe fitment. The Sport originally ran on weber dcoe 40 carbs as standard then i retro fitted dta to run the ignition side of things and finally last month fitted the throtle bodies. You have to fit the injection pump and tank and fuel lines from an mpi nova such as at sri/gte/gsi if the car was originally a carb or spi car. Get hold of a crank speed sensor and pulley, the bracket for the sensor has a locating spigot which goes in the side of the oil pump so you may have to swap your oil pump casing for a later one with the hole. From an e14nz or e16se with the offset alternator pulley. You also need to retro fit water and air temp sensors and fit a lambda to the exhaust manifold.
It drives like a real pussey cat compared to before with carbs even with the dta management. You can put your foot flat to the floor at 1000rpm and it pulls like a train.''

and from another post by the same user

''my sport has 133bhp at 5800 and 147lbft at 3800.''

craig green
23-05-08, 02:23 PM
Disagree's with my info. Sounds cool though.

[edit] Tony Dolley was the chap I was referring to if theres any net searching to be done.

R1CH
23-05-08, 02:33 PM
Laddo at works just in the middle of building an other motor for his Grasstracker, 1400 8v, dunno what bodies he's using but he's expecting about 150 bhp ... in the back of a Ford Ka !
Theres another guy who runs in the same class as him with some daft Mini, again a 1400 8v, its apparntly kicking out about 180 bhp, he's got about £10k+ sitting in the motor !

Will F
23-05-08, 03:21 PM
deffo easier to 'body the later c16/14se due to the crank sensor and DIS on them...

meritlover
23-05-08, 03:52 PM
yes, i appreciate the pointers, we are building one at the moment and its under pretty heavy development.
all the EFI is complete and engine is complete. the car is on stands while the shell is prepared by us.
once running we will be able to give it some dyno time to take it further.

was just after numbers of engines out there to see if it was a common configuration.

thanks
love always

Meritlover

Adam
24-05-08, 12:12 AM
147lbft at 3800.''
WTF? From a 1.4 8v with tb's?
Wheres the turbo? Lol

Lee
24-05-08, 12:39 AM
WTF? From a 1.4 8v with tb's?
Wheres the turbo? Lol

Just spotted that too lol. Impossible torque figure for a 1400 NA lol

dhdev (Oli)
24-05-08, 08:31 AM
Just spotted that too lol. Impossible torque figure for a 1400 NA lol

This was brought up with the guy at the time. He argued that it was a very strong engine and had been build to an extremely high spec. But then he did admit that the torque figure came from the mobile rollers at PV....:tard:

garyc
24-05-08, 09:59 AM
Yeah those class 5 autograss engines are well expensive. they are kicking out some serious horsepower though. I guess at that price they have steel cranks n rods, are dry sumped and are on throttle bodies. The gearboxes they run arent cheap either.

sport
24-05-08, 11:39 AM
Just dug this up from MIG (2003) a guy by the user name PaulW

''Ive got Jenvy 40-45 taper throttle bodies on my 1397 8v using dta on my Nova Sport. Ive used the Irmscher manifold for the bdies which are dcoe fitment. The Sport originally ran on weber dcoe 40 carbs as standard then i retro fitted dta to run the ignition side of things and finally last month fitted the throtle bodies. You have to fit the injection pump and tank and fuel lines from an mpi nova such as at sri/gte/gsi if the car was originally a carb or spi car. Get hold of a crank speed sensor and pulley, the bracket for the sensor has a locating spigot which goes in the side of the oil pump so you may have to swap your oil pump casing for a later one with the hole. From an e14nz or e16se with the offset alternator pulley. You also need to retro fit water and air temp sensors and fit a lambda to the exhaust manifold.
It drives like a real pussey cat compared to before with carbs even with the dta management. You can put your foot flat to the floor at 1000rpm and it pulls like a train.''

and from another post by the same user

''my sport has 133bhp at 5800 and 147lbft at 3800.''

I think that is Paul woodcocks sport.

Lee
24-05-08, 01:04 PM
This was brought up with the guy at the time. He argued that it was a very strong engine and had been build to an extremely high spec. But then he did admit that the torque figure came from the mobile rollers at PV....:tard:

LMFAO. Any rollers that exceed 100lb/ft per litre on an NA would be a laughing stock lol

Welsh Dan
24-05-08, 01:05 PM
LMFAO. Any rollers that exceed 100lb/ft per litre on an NA would be a laughing stock lol

VTEC just kicked in, yo.

Geordie-Chris
24-05-08, 05:56 PM
I think that is Paul woodcocks sport.
Sounds like it, was speaking to him a few weeks ago about it, he's still got it, Velos (sp??) did all the work on the engine before they closed down.
He's still got it and plans to resurrect it!