PDA

View Full Version : rev counter wiring

big gra
22-05-08, 08:06 PM
right, im in the middle of doing the final wiring on the nova, wired the fuel pump and ignition up, but we still cnt get the rev counter working. theres 2 plugs that went onto the old coil both with green wires on, tried plugging them both onto the neg side of the new coil, still nowt. it worked before the old engine came out. odes there have to be one of the earths or anything wired up aswel??

old coil plugs
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/biggra/21052008085.jpg

new coil
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/biggra/21052008086.jpg

Adam
22-05-08, 08:12 PM
The green on that top plug, connect that to the "-" on your new coil.

big gra
22-05-08, 08:49 PM
tried that, dont work!! the rev cdounter defo worked before the ngine came out, doing my nut in nw!!

Adam
22-05-08, 08:50 PM
AHHH
Did it used to be a spi?

big gra
22-05-08, 09:09 PM
AHHH
Did it used to be a spi?

indeed!! :confused:

Adam
22-05-08, 09:11 PM
Thats the problem then.
That green wire is wired to the spi ecu, which then sends it to the dashboard

Do you still have the spi loom fitted? If so see if theres two greens on the spi ecu plug.

If youve removed the loom, just run a new wire from the coil to dash.

big gra
22-05-08, 09:13 PM
Thats the problem then.
That green wire is wired to the spi ecu, which then sends it to the dashboard

Do you still have the spi loom fitted? If so see if theres two greens on the spi ecu plug.

If youve removed the loom, just run a new wire from the coil to dash.

aahhh right. well its just started lashing it down and the cars outside tonight so i can clean the workshop out, will try running a wire straight fron the neg on the coil, to the green wire on the back of the clocks, should that be it?

Adam
22-05-08, 09:14 PM
Yeah that'll be that.

big gra
22-05-08, 09:21 PM
Yeah that'll be that.

cheers fella, adam to the rescue again. think youv done most of the work on my car and youve never even touched it, lol :thumb:

big gra
23-05-08, 04:37 PM
right, connected a wire to the coil, and connected it to the green plug on the green wire at back of my clocks, nothing happened. connected it to the green wire on the gsi loom plug then connected that to the clocks, the revv counter went up to about 1500 but it cut the engine out?? any ideas??

AlexW
23-05-08, 04:41 PM
dodgy earth? did a fuse pop?

big gra
23-05-08, 04:54 PM
nope, fuses were fine. just sparked and wanted to cut out evry time i connected the wire.

Adam
23-05-08, 06:25 PM
Ok where did you it to on the coil?

big gra
23-05-08, 06:52 PM
the negative side. one on the left in the pic. connected it up and it wouldent run, disconnected it and it started straight up.

ck
23-05-08, 11:51 PM
what engine is it you have fitted?

Adam
23-05-08, 11:56 PM
1.6 8v i think it is.

I cant understand why its not working, thats all i did and mine was fine.
Try tapping into the green wire plugged into the coil itself(instead of that bolt terminal, assuming thats what you used today)

big gra
24-05-08, 12:14 AM
well i picked some wheels up of lee h tonight, was talking to him and riggy, and the engine loom i have is a bit wierd. theres only 1 plug for the coil with 4 wires going to it, his had a seperate 2 pin plug aswel (the long wide on elike on the original loom with a black and green wire). his has a diagnostic plug and an octane plug, mine dosent have either. on his main loom plug, there are 6 wires, mine only has 4. have i got the right loom? its all up and running apart from the rev gauge. :confused:

big gra
24-05-08, 05:46 PM
anyone? really want to get the rev gauge woring asap.

P Whack
25-05-08, 12:10 PM
sounds to me as if its a different loom seeing as theirs a lot of differences

Adam
25-05-08, 12:27 PM
Try tapping into the green wire plugged into the coil itself(instead of that bolt terminal, assuming thats what you used today)
/\

Adam
27-05-08, 03:48 PM
Just had a thought about this.
On the engine loom to car loom plug(with the red, black wires etc on), there should be a green on there for the rev counter.

big gra
27-05-08, 07:14 PM
tried that, when i connected it the engine cut out??? wa svery wierd, i put it to the green wire at the top corner of the plug that goes into the clocks.

big gra
27-05-08, 07:25 PM
aahhh really just want to get it working, so can get the dash back together then!!

Adam
27-05-08, 07:28 PM
I dont see how wiring it from that plug isn't working tbh
Thats how there wired as standard,Lol

CoupeUK
27-05-08, 07:38 PM
This was my scenario and solution.

(Car was a 1.2 SPi, then was fitted with Dispack XE)

I done basically the same as you, nothing happened. I wired the clocks straight to the XE ECU.....nothing. I tapped into every green wire and still nothing. I ran a new wire from the green revcounter output wire in the XE ECU direct to the clocks and still nothing. Snipped the green wire on the dashplug, still with the direct ECU to clocks wire connected and bingo!!!!

big gra
28-05-08, 08:57 PM
This was my scenario and solution.

(Car was a 1.2 SPi, then was fitted with Dispack XE)

I done basically the same as you, nothing happened. I wired the clocks straight to the XE ECU.....nothing. I tapped into every green wire and still nothing. I ran a new wire from the green revcounter output wire in the XE ECU direct to the clocks and still nothing. Snipped the green wire on the dashplug, still with the direct ECU to clocks wire connected and bingo!!!!

very confused, so you ran a wire from the plug to the clocks, but still with the clocks wired to the original ecu?

CoupeUK
29-05-08, 12:16 AM
very confused, so you ran a wire from the plug to the clocks, but still with the clocks wired to the original ecu?

Right, i'll try explain better as I have a bit more time.....

My revcounter is connected directly to the green of the ECU, but there is still a green wire on the SPi harness thats not connected to anything on the coil end. Obviously you still need to plug the clocks in to run everything else but it seemed like that the revcounter was confused that there was 2 wires conected to it so I snipped the green wire in the plug.

To make things more simpler........

Back of clocks>>> one multiplug with green wire snipped
one wire from back of revcounter direct to ECU

Hope this helps

big gra
29-05-08, 11:46 PM
Right, i'll try explain better as I have a bit more time.....

My revcounter is connected directly to the green of the ECU, but there is still a green wire on the SPi harness thats not connected to anything on the coil end. Obviously you still need to plug the clocks in to run everything else but it seemed like that the revcounter was confused that there was 2 wires conected to it so I snipped the green wire in the plug.

To make things more simpler........

Back of clocks>>> one multiplug with green wire snipped
one wire from back of revcounter direct to ECU

Hope this helps

i think i get what you mean now, will have a crack at it tomorrow. :thumb:

ant_tay
06-09-08, 03:47 PM
i have this exact same problem