PDA

View Full Version : Suspension question (and kits on a budget)

rubachuk
22-05-08, 07:42 AM
I have just bought a 1.3 SR exactly as I had at 17 (28 now) and I'm well chuffed to be back in the "nova scene".

I'm sure I recall from back then that GTE/GSi's came out of the factory 25mm lower than the SR's. If this is true, when I buy a suspension kit that fits all models across the range, what drop will I get? Will I get a further 25mm drop because my car was 25mm higher than the GTE/GSi?

For example - if I fit a -40mm kit, will I get a 65mm drop?

Also, I'm looking for a kit on a budget (-40mm). I know some of you guy's think that Jamex stuff is naff (and some of you don't), BUT it certainly is cheap. I'm not looking for track performance, just something for the country lanes and to look better. Is it really that bad? Is it better than standard? If it is that bad, what should I be going for on a similar budget?

Cheers

Welsh Dan
22-05-08, 08:11 AM
if you fit a 40mm kit, you'll get a 40mm drop, but on a GTE/GSI you'd get a 15mm drop.

Chris Astley had a good deal on a Bilstein B10 kit not so long ago....

rubachuk
22-05-08, 09:07 AM
But a lot of the suspesion kits I've seen just list 1 kit across the nova range. How do you know to which model the drop applies?

Chris Astley not showing a whole lot suspension wise :(

craig green
22-05-08, 09:19 AM
Country lanes are the most demanding IMO.

If you cant spend a lot, get some decent springs (Eibach are awesome) or custom ones & buy the dampers as & when. Poor suspension will leave you not wanting to drive the car IMO.

Its sad to say, but the modded car accessory market is flooded with useless tat. I've had Jamex & Pi stuff & it borders on dangerous.

Great to have you back in the scene. Any old pics?

Welsh Dan
22-05-08, 09:28 AM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93346

Stuart
22-05-08, 09:30 AM
What is your budget?

Nova_Tek
22-05-08, 09:48 AM
If you go to the manufacturers own web page you should be able to see a proper list of the cars the kits are made of in more detail. Once you see the one you need search the net for that product and you'll be sure to get the right one.

Eibach as mentioned are top quality but getting a set new for a Nova is very though. I spent the beter part of a month looking for them, in the end I setled for something equivelent which was the H&R springs also real good quality.

It is best to change the springs and shocks at the same time as that will save you time, and if someone is gonna fit them for you, some money aswell.

I spent a total of £235 for my shocks and springs.

rubachuk
22-05-08, 09:51 AM
Stuart - Budget approx £200

Welsh Dan - Cheers, couldn't see on their website, most of the suspension categories are empty. Bit pricey for me at the moment though.

Dod
22-05-08, 10:02 AM
£200 is a good budget mate, best bet it Ebay or even Ebay.de, buy them direct from Germany. In fact, at a little stretch, you might be able to get a set of Coil overs allowing you to adjust the ride height whenever suits, from between 30mm and 80mm

rubachuk
22-05-08, 10:10 AM
I remember there being coilovers on ebay a month or so back for just over £200 - not any more though :( (I'm sure someone can prove me wrong tho). At that price though, whats the quaity like? Aren't these the sort of tat I should look to avoid?

Great to have you back in the scene. Any old pics?
Battled with Photobucket for the first time but it won't let me post pics til I hit 15 posts. I'm a newbie (and proud)

rubachuk
22-05-08, 10:23 AM
Proved myself wrong already.

What are Gmax like? £191.99 on ebay.

I can't understand ebay.de though. Shame cos it looks like there's some stuff on there.

Dod
22-05-08, 10:28 AM
Meh!!

Not too many GMax Supporters in here mate. Seems expensive for a set though. You try Ebay.de? Use the Google Translator. You're looking for Opel Corsa A stuff, type in Opel Corsa A and look for the first Suspension pic you see, open the link and copy and paste the title. Then put it in the search function.

rubachuk
22-05-08, 10:51 AM
Have tried ebay.de with the translator. There's certainly a few options on there but I've no idea if any of its any good. TBH I'd be much happier buying from the UK

Dod
22-05-08, 10:59 AM
Is it for handling or looks you're going?

TBH, Coilovers seem to be the ideal compramise, although I have no experience with them, most on here cant fault them.

Welsh Dan
22-05-08, 11:01 AM
http://www.janspeed.net/framefix.asp?ProductCode=BSK107&PID=317025

rubachuk
22-05-08, 11:12 AM
Welsh Dan - Thanks for that, looks decent.

Is it for handling or looks you're going?

TBH, Coilovers seem to be the ideal compramise, although I have no experience with them, most on here cant fault them.

A bit of both I suppose, but if its going to get a bit of stick occasionally on the lanes the I suppose thats what I need to aim for with the suspension kit. Looks will come by default when lowering anyway.

Coilovers would be the ideal compromise but they cost more, and to be honest I don't need the adjustability. Kits in my range on ebay.de I've never heard of so quality/performance would be unknown and at those prices I'd fear the worst.

Stuart
22-05-08, 11:50 AM
save up another £200 and get some Gaz coilovers...

rubachuk
22-05-08, 01:10 PM
Would probably be wasted on me.

Can't bring myself to pay more for suspension than I paid for the car. Had a hard enough time talking the missus into that and that was a whole car!

craig green
22-05-08, 01:15 PM
I think the Rennsport coilovers for £200 are allegedly pretty sound.

From ebay I believe.

BIGS
22-05-08, 01:26 PM
here's a link to a place. and offer them £200 deliverd as they do accept it !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COIL-OVER-COILOVER-VAUXHALL-CORSA-A-B-SUSPENSION_W0QQitemZ170221259916QQihZ007QQcategory Z40192QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

rubachuk
22-05-08, 01:55 PM
I think the Rennsport coilovers for £200 are allegedly pretty sound.

From ebay I believe.

Couldn't find on ebay, just a load of motorbike tyres. On the Rennsport site they only list Gmax kits and they're well over £300. Maybe worth a phone call though. I'll keep checking to see if they get relisted anyhow.

here's a link to a place. and offer them £200 deliverd as they do accept it !

Does anyone know if these "european" kits are actually any good? Has anyone tried them?

BIGS
22-05-08, 01:58 PM
tbh there the same as the ones ive got just from a different place. and i rate the very high for the money. even going to buy another set

or ive also found these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Janspeed-Coilover-Suspension-Kit-Vauxhall-Corsa-B-NEW_W0QQitemZ110252816255QQihZ001QQcategoryZ40192Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ck
22-05-08, 02:42 PM
bigs has the rennsport coilovers, there feel very good for the money. not too stiff yet still a very nice ride and good handling. i recently fitted a set of the janspeed colovers to a friends car and they were A1 aswell. slightly better in design the to rennsport ones just they didnt have some of the fancy blue alloy bits and the janspeed ones has 2 spanners lol..

if your on a budget but want some half decent suspension i woul prob go for the janspeed ones tbh. otherwise any of the suspension kits at that price range are pretty the same . bilstien blacks arent supposed all that great. there only slightly uprated from standard.

it all depends on your budget. for me id go for the janspeeds, a good price and they seem really good for the money. im gona buy a set myself in the near future for my nova..

FUSION X16XE
22-05-08, 03:10 PM
i have a renspeed kit and its brill for the money, think they missed something out tho so i had to mod the tophat but thats not a problem just a simple washer. nice ride and good handeling, great kit for the money.

rubachuk
22-05-08, 03:13 PM
Is the RennSpeed kit the RS-1?

Paul
22-05-08, 04:59 PM
billy's for £200 IMO

craig green
22-05-08, 05:17 PM
billy's for £200 IMO

If thats the 'streetline kit' with black dampers & PI / TERRA springs. Avoid like the plague! :roll:

Paul
22-05-08, 05:24 PM
yellow's

Welsh Dan
22-05-08, 05:46 PM
The one I linked is blacks.

rubachuk
22-05-08, 09:48 PM
Cheers, to all.

Guess in the end it looks like the RennSport or the Janspeed Coilovers.

Rich
22-05-08, 10:19 PM
To be honest if your just going for looks and bit of fun on the handling side i cant say the gmax kit is that bad. I bought a set -60mm with shocks and springs, thought they were ok. They arent the best yes, but they are cheaper. If your going out on track then maybe you will want somthing a bit better