PDA

View Full Version : still wont tick over

big gra
19-05-08, 04:36 PM
got my 1.6 gte engine in the new nova. before it went in i flushed it out, new plugs, leads, head skim, gaskets etc. wouldent tick over in the old car., still wont tick over in the new car. tried adjusting the timing on the dizzy but makes no difference. engine revvs up but dies if you let go of the accelerator? dont think its a tooth out as it revvs fine. any ideas? im losing pacience!!

just fitted a fuel pump from a mk3 astra mpi so its not the fuel pump. would the engine run if the fuel and the return lines were mixed up?

big gra
19-05-08, 04:51 PM
just took it for a drive up our private road and its missfiring to death. :(

Adam
19-05-08, 04:52 PM
Dizzy cap?
Coil?

xxspudxx
19-05-08, 04:55 PM
bad earth?

big gra
19-05-08, 05:00 PM
its had a new dizzy cap, not sure about coil as i havent much money to splash out on a new one. which earth would it be, ive several?

is there anything on the t/b that i can adjust the idle with?

Adam
19-05-08, 05:05 PM
You can adjust the throttle stop yes.
But it wont idle atm because its misfiring...?
Why was the head skimmed? Snapped belt or something? Sure no valves are bent?

Id check 100% the camtiming is right.

Shame your so far away as i have spare coils here depending which one your engine has.

big gra
19-05-08, 05:07 PM
the head was skimmed because i bought the engine in bits and didnt knoew the history of it, so for peace of mind i had it skimmed. the problem is i have no timing gear and the plastic casing at the bottom of sump with timing marks on has been ripped off. gonna try moving the cam belt 1 tooth either way and see.

Adam
19-05-08, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't go adjusting cam timing hit and miss as you could damage something.

The arrow on the crank sprocket should point to a notch on the oil pump.
And the cam mark points 12 'o clock, Vertical up.

craig green
19-05-08, 05:16 PM
is there anything on the t/b that i can adjust the idle with?

The idle screw. Anti clockwise to raise the tick over.

Maybe remove TB & degunk the idle air channel. Have you cleaned the ICV? Its bolted to the back of the cam carrier like where a carbs fuel pump would be.

big gra
19-05-08, 05:31 PM
yea, cleaned the icv. will have a go at cleaning the tb. played with the timing, moved it 1 tooth, it would tick over for a bit but wouldent revv. think its gonna have to be booked in the garage :(

ck
19-05-08, 05:53 PM
sounds like timing is out 1tooth on the crank pulley, had this before. couldnt get the pulley off an xe so guessed it, ran perfectly except when you drove it the more the pressed the throttle the more missfiring. if u reved it on the spot it sounded perfect just not driving. managed to get the pulley off and realise it was 1 tooth out, put it on proerly and it drove perfect...

big gra
19-05-08, 05:57 PM
sounds like timing is out 1tooth on the crank pulley, had this before. couldnt get the pulley off an xe so guessed it, ran perfectly except when you drove it the more the pressed the throttle the more missfiring. if u reved it on the spot it sounded perfect just not driving. managed to get the pulley off and realise it was 1 tooth out, put it on proerly and it drove perfect...

that sounds exactly right. gonna keep trying but have tried it in so many different places im getting back to were it started. :confused:

big gra
19-05-08, 06:28 PM
yay, kind of success. took timing belt off, found the markers on the bottom pulley, and set the top pulley at 12oclock (like you said adam) and woof, away it went. still a little lumpy on tickover but i think the idle and mixture needs setting. :thumb:

craig green
19-05-08, 07:42 PM
Just take it to a garage & ask them to set the CO levels as per MOT testing.

big gra
19-05-08, 08:04 PM
Just take it to a garage & ask them to set the CO levels as per MOT testing.

will do cheers :thumb: