PDA

View Full Version : Helicoils - Threaded Spark Plug Hole

JonL
19-05-08, 01:02 PM
First off, apologies for a non Nova specific problem!

Right, my daily drive Renault 19 (ugh!) blew out a spark plug the other day, due to the spark plug thread in the head being threaded by the looks of it.

I'm trying to get a helicoil kit for it, but all thats available is an M14 kit as far as i can see, and the spark plugs in the 19 are M10. There's normal M10 kits, but not the spark plug specific one.
As its a 16v head I really need to get the spark plug one as its deep in the middle and I don't want to take the head off if i don't have to.

Am I missing something, is there a reason why they only do M14 kits?

Any other ideas for solutions for this problem?

Welsh Dan
19-05-08, 02:01 PM
I guess they're M14 because you need to drill and tap the hole out to M14, so that you can fit the insert that is M14 externally and M10 internally.

JonL
19-05-08, 02:39 PM
Thanks, Hmmm, i had actually thought that, although I'm worried that if it doesn't work I'll have made the hole much too big to ever fix...

craig green
19-05-08, 03:23 PM
Surely you cant do this in situ? You'll have a combustion chamber full of swarf & a recipe for broken valve guides....

JonL
19-05-08, 03:35 PM
Well, i was worried about this, but I've read a lot of stuff from people who've done it and it seems like if you coat the tap with a load of grease this should catch most of the swarf. After that its just a case of tidying up the tiny bits that are left. Any of the tiny bits of aluminium left shouldn't do any major damage...

craig green
19-05-08, 03:36 PM
Theres hope. Personally I wouldnt tap a hole with a greased tap. Paraffin is the best cutting agent for alloy.

I've never had to do it though, so my comments arent worth a dime tbh.

draper
19-05-08, 04:33 PM
i wouldnt be drilling anything on an engine while its still in situ tbh

craig green
19-05-08, 05:17 PM
Fixed the spark plug......... ruined the engine!

JonL
25-09-08, 08:27 AM
Just found this old thread, just thought I'd add that for anyone that has to do this, I Helicoiled it in situ, and it was fine. Just was very careful about it.