PDA

View Full Version : Rocker cover paint, any recomendations?

CoupeUK
19-05-08, 12:19 PM
Thinking of doing my rocker cover and cambelt cover Matt black, can anyone suggest any decent paint I can use that wont get distorted with heat?

How do I prepare it for painting, Nitromors??

Can I reuse the gasket?

How easy to remove cambelt cover?

Cheers :)

Dod
19-05-08, 12:25 PM
Stove Matt Black Paint, available at any Hardware Store

Power wash it, or remove it and wash it in the sink with a scrubbing brush, hot water and Fairy Liquid

No, these are like 2 or 3 quid new and in stock is most Auto Factors

Its not terrible difficult, but awkward. The Front cover comes off no worries but the rear is a bit of a bitch. Some are blocked by the Cam pulley, and the bolts below and behind the pully are a cun7 to get at.

CoupeUK
19-05-08, 12:35 PM
Cheers for that.

Power wash it, or remove it and wash it in the sink with a scrubbing brush, hot water and Fairy Liquid

Mines covered in some kind of odd yellow wax stuff, bits of it have chipped in places- will a simple wash and scrub suffice?

Can I paint the plug cover in the same paint? No primer needed I take it?

chimp007_uk
19-05-08, 12:51 PM
I've got the old nitromorse if in doubt :)

Whatever you do... dont use the silver non drying paint thats all over my rocker cover!!

CoupeUK
19-05-08, 01:00 PM
I've got the old nitromorse if in doubt :)

Whatever you do... dont use the silver non drying paint thats all over my rocker cover!!

I knew you'd pop up somewhere ;)

I hope to be using quick drying, not non drying!!

I got another job for you and Stubs when we catch up, bought some guages ;)

AlexW
19-05-08, 01:24 PM
that orange stuff is so easy to remove, i got it off with my fingernail, was all over my engine bay too?

are you doing the rocker box black too?

Dod
19-05-08, 01:28 PM
Just out of Curosity, what engine are you talking about?

CoupeUK
19-05-08, 01:29 PM
Just out of Curosity, what engine are you talking about?

XE, its in my sig ;)

Dod
19-05-08, 01:32 PM
Sorry, for some reason i thopught you were talking about an OHC. Thats a different kettle of fish.

Your Cam Cover, and Plug cover, whip them off, give them a clean, a wet and dry sanding and if you're happy enough with the finish you've no need for Primer although it will help you a bit.

Pretty much any paint should do the trick, but High Temp stuff is ideal. As for the Cam Cover, that'll come off easy enough.

chimp007_uk
19-05-08, 01:35 PM
guages you say?

My dial surround fell off again... Tempte dto wire in ym Tacho and fot the shift light then. The digi dash Tacho is poo!

Back this weekend hopefully, get the car welded and cage in...

oh yeh.... gigerty gigerty

CoupeUK
19-05-08, 01:43 PM
guages you say?

My dial surround fell off again... Tempte dto wire in ym Tacho and fot the shift light then. The digi dash Tacho is poo!

Back this weekend hopefully, get the car welded and cage in...

oh yeh.... gigerty gigerty

I randomly bought some guages off MIG, oil presure, air/fuel and volts ;)

What, the dial surround you silicone sealed to the digidash???lol You dont need a revcounter, you only need to know how fast your going!!

Your not welding this time then no?

Gigerty? Explain :confused:

CoupeUK
19-05-08, 01:44 PM
Sorry, for some reason i thopught you were talking about an OHC. Thats a different kettle of fish.

Your Cam Cover, and Plug cover, whip them off, give them a clean, a wet and dry sanding and if you're happy enough with the finish you've no need for Primer although it will help you a bit.

Pretty much any paint should do the trick, but High Temp stuff is ideal. As for the Cam Cover, that'll come off easy enough.

Ha ha, my fault, I should have explained at the start!

I'll give this a go tomorrrow. Thanks mate!

Dod
19-05-08, 02:39 PM
:thumb:

chimp007_uk
19-05-08, 02:42 PM
no, hopefully getting Lloyd to pop down and weld mine and paul's :) job's a goodie! Can't really afford to hit Swansea this weekend now, the Nova is crippling me! Need to get the Pug ont he road asap!

You need to watch Family Guy if you didn't get that... :)

mayhem
19-05-08, 02:50 PM
i did mine with heat resistant matt black from motip, not that the cambelt cover needs it, but i wanted everyting in the same matt black ;)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/mayhem22/SP_A0893.jpg

chimp007_uk
19-05-08, 02:52 PM
Thats nice... I was thinkking black with the red plug cover... But it can all wait till i have time and money. Not needed at the moment :)

craig green
19-05-08, 03:34 PM
Any form of Radiator enamel (shiny) or BBQ paint will be ideal. Hammerite (bbq) sounds like the best stuff.

CoupeUK
19-05-08, 04:00 PM
Cheers all!

Stuart
19-05-08, 04:02 PM
you can get the crackle finish black/red stuff from Frosts

R1CH
19-05-08, 06:35 PM
Any old paint will work fine, mine was painted with (cellulose) car body paint, been done for about 2 years now and is still fine.
Cam cover doesnt get that hot really, not much hotter than your car bodywork will do when left in the sun all day.