PDA

View Full Version : PV08 preparation

Cormac
19-05-08, 12:08 PM
Well im off this week and want to get cracking at getting the car gleaming for the show, Im usually the type of guy that autogleems everything, but for PV i want the car looking as good as i can possibly get it. Im looking for some polish recommendations, also good stuff for cleaning and slicking up round the engine bay, plastics, interior trim etc etc

Cheers

Dod
19-05-08, 12:19 PM
Meg stuff for the paint work, Turtle Wax Bumper gel for the plastics and rubber bits, and for the engine, a good steam clean and some Chrome, Metal Polish to give it a good buff. I cant remember the stuff i use for it but it can be gotten in Letterkenny. Ace stuff at that.

Jack
19-05-08, 12:29 PM
Megs stuff usually wins for me. I'll refrain from posting the legs pic AGAIN lol

Purple Haze is a damned good wax too (or if you have light paintwork, try Light Fantastic), which you apply with your hands - i.e. no application pad - and gives a great shine to paintwork. Plus, feeling up your car at a show always gets you noticed lol

Stuart
19-05-08, 12:33 PM
the first 2 megs steps are ok, the 3rd is a bit poor on the longevity stakes...

I'd wax with either collinite 476s or some poorbaoys world Nattys red (for a red car), or the plain white stuff from them.

plastics... hmmm I've got poorboys slick n shine which does "ok" but they do an explicit plastics tarter upper. Look at elite car care and detailedobession for that kinda stuff.

Ernie
19-05-08, 02:29 PM
I mite stretch to chucking mine through a car wash to get the bird poo off it lol.

Cormac
30-05-08, 10:46 PM
I was quite productive yesterday and removed front headlights and bumper + washer bottle-header tank and coil and gave the front end and in round chassie legs a good polish, I know no one will have they're heads in behind the headlights but no harm in having it all shined up..

A mate was telling me to use 3M hand glaze after polishing, ment to leave a really good shine?!!

Mike
30-05-08, 10:47 PM
You mean to say people actually clean cars before going to a show??? lol lol

I turned up at USC last year in't Nova and it was bladdered in grime & 1k miles worth of bugs/flies/pedestrians etc :D

Cormac
30-05-08, 10:55 PM
Im not usually that bother tbh but they mk1 will be gleaming this year!! will need cleaned again when i get there after a 220mile trip!

ade
31-05-08, 12:04 AM
I find Autoglym super resin polish is great for paint work.

And for faded bumpers and plastic trim try peanut butter!

Seriously - use the smooth stuff obviously but I guarantee that the oils in the peanuts bring plastic back like you wouldnt believe! Any they stay restored alot longer than any after market stuff.

Simply wipe on and wipe off - Karate Kid style...

plus once finished you can have a sandwich.

Wouldnt recommend using the stuff youd wiped off your car though

Lee
31-05-08, 12:37 AM
I mite stretch to chucking mine through a car wash to get the bird poo off it lol.

Amen brother. Mine will jet a blast from the jetwash and maybe a quick wipe over on site as the trailier tends to spew everything from the tow vehicles back wheels all over it lol

Rexy
31-05-08, 07:56 AM
you track whores are pure filth.... I'm converted to the way of the wax now :D Gleemy gleem.

Cormac
02-06-08, 01:08 PM
I find Autoglym super resin polish is great for paint work.

And for faded bumpers and plastic trim try peanut butter!

Seriously - use the smooth stuff obviously but I guarantee that the oils in the peanuts bring plastic back like you wouldnt believe! Any they stay restored alot longer than any after market stuff.

Simply wipe on and wipe off - Karate Kid style...

plus once finished you can have a sandwich.

Wouldnt recommend using the stuff youd wiped off your car though

You taking the piss about peanut butter? I think autoglym bumper gell will do fine..

Anyone ever use 3M hand glaze? top stoff for leaving a show shine!!

krobinson
02-06-08, 06:41 PM
Cormac, Claybar the paintwork, then hand glaze, then polish and finally wax.

Should give an awesome lasting shine! We'll be working on terri-ann's corsa on thursday/friday, so call out for the craic :)

Benn
02-06-08, 10:44 PM
lol i've just spent 90quid on waxes to top up my collection.. ;)
Have the next 4days off for cleaning fun..

ade
02-06-08, 11:48 PM
I was planning on doing a full day on my car but the wife has got other plans for me - all housey unfortunately!

Might be able to wangle some time...weather permitting...

Stuart
03-06-08, 09:02 AM
lol i've just spent 90quid on waxes to top up my collection.. ;)
Have the next 4days off for cleaning fun..

any good ones or is it megs stuff? lol

Benn
03-06-08, 07:48 PM
any good ones or is it megs stuff? lol

Nothing wrong with megs, but i've order some dojo jucie purple haze, and some mother metal polish too

Stuart
03-06-08, 07:56 PM
megs seems ok for swirl removal/prep work... The hova is getting a light (I was heavy handed with the vx waxing) coat of Collinite 476S, nice and durable so saves me washing the fecker :D

General Baxter
03-06-08, 07:58 PM
dirt and muck, show LESS dents and scratches lol

Benn
03-06-08, 08:17 PM
megs seems ok for swirl removal/prep work... The hova is getting a light (I was heavy handed with the vx waxing) coat of Collinite 476S, nice and durable so saves me washing the fecker :D

I find megs leaves a good finish, but have been reading good things about the dojo jucies stuff too, thatr collinite seams good as a fine coat, i'd like to try it.

Stuart
03-06-08, 08:19 PM
its nice and hard wearing (good for lazy mofos like me) and can cope being hammered with dirt/pressure washers.

If I remember I'll bring the tin and you can sniff it / nick some lol

Benn
03-06-08, 09:21 PM
Ah cool, mines waxed weekly so..lol

Yeah please do!