PDA

View Full Version : Door hinge pin removal (the bottom one!)

kevw
19-05-08, 10:40 AM
I've searched and can't find anything relevant.

I've got a door hinge pin removal tool, the type that you put the threaded rod through the pin and pull it out that way.

This is fine for the top hinges and I've got them half out.

The bottom ones seem to not be hollow so I can't get the rod part of the tool through, I've never come across this before and I'm a bit stuck now, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

chimp007_uk
19-05-08, 10:51 AM
cant you get at it from underneath with a small punch? I had a similar problem, and you can't knock it down, it hits the door lol

Lee
19-05-08, 11:00 AM
The pins normally have plastic end caps Kev, Id guess you have half of one still wedged in there. Get a nail and bang the fecker out :)

craig green
19-05-08, 11:05 AM
Best method, cut off a section of Nova bonnet stay, & beat that through. Its perfect for the job.

Should be able to do it with the curly end. Its is ideal for beating the long part, but the curly part will go into the centre of the hinge.

Dod
19-05-08, 11:29 AM
Off topic slightly, where did you get the Door Pin Removal tool, have you pictures of it?

jimbob-mcgrew
19-05-08, 11:48 AM
i used a suitable size allen key to get mine out ages back, only thing i could find that was small enuff to fit in there and be able to hit it with a hammer

kevw
19-05-08, 11:49 AM
The pins normally have plastic end caps Kev, Id guess you have half of one still wedged in there. Get a nail and bang the fecker out :)

I thought similar but I tried whacking a tent peg (lol) through but it seemed pretty solid, will have another go later and report back :)

Off topic slightly, where did you get the Door Pin Removal tool, have you pictures of it?

I've had it for years, just one of them things you buy but harldy use, I just googled and it looks like this:
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Door-Pin-Extractor-Tool-4pc-Sealey-VS801;jsessionid=0a010b421f43154fb8707c9845e9bf41b d5b88be7123.e3eSc38TaNqNe34Pa38Ta38Rb3v0

Works excellent as long as you can get the rod through and then screw the end back on. Sometimes you get the rod through but the thread gets crud in it (from inside the pin on the car - they're a good fit) and it's difficult to get the threaded bit back on, especially in the confined working space there is!

Lee
19-05-08, 11:50 AM
When we got Dans doors off I made one using a bolt, a nut, and a lot of grinding lol. Worked a treat! Trouble is, I think Ive lost it, and we ned to get the SR doors off next weekend :(

moffat
19-05-08, 11:54 AM
i need to get my bottom one of on my white door (car is red) and i got it out half way using a suitable bar but cause the door has a bend in it i cant get the bar in enough to get it out. so im in the same position

Dod
19-05-08, 12:14 PM
Cheers mate.

L33 LEG
19-05-08, 12:34 PM
i had this problem with a scrap nova i had. we ended up getting a saw and cutting the door off the actual pillar lol

Dod
19-05-08, 01:20 PM
Works well though. If its a scrap car and the dopor coming off the good car is scrap as well.

kevw
19-05-08, 01:23 PM
i had this problem with a scrap nova i had. we ended up getting a saw and cutting the door off the actual pillar lol

This is not an option lol

craig green
19-05-08, 01:33 PM
bonnet Stay!

twin40s
19-05-08, 01:41 PM
Tools are rubbish the best thing to use is a cut up bonnet stay as craig says and wd-40 oh and a hammer watch your fingers though :D

paul james
19-05-08, 03:00 PM
Those tools are crap, the pins are a nightmare to get out, even soaked in wd40 you'll most likely need to whack the hell out of them. The little screw on bolts of the tool are weaker than the pins, and just end up getting stripped, I've worn out two sets of the damn things.

L33 LEG
19-05-08, 03:35 PM
This is not an option lol

i guessed lol

id like to know how to do it tho cos now iv got a pair of mint doors awaiting to go on my nova but iv got the pins stuck inside of them :cool: