PDA

View Full Version : C16XE wont start. No fuel or spark

craig green
18-05-08, 07:38 PM
Probably something really obvious or noobish, I've put a C16Xe in my Nova GSi. I've wired the C16XE engine loom directly to plug straight off the existing engines loom plug.

I've been told me to check for voltage at the black wire going into the ECU/loom... Its got 12v there. I've also put 12v off the battery onto the blue/red fuel pump wire at this plug in the engine bay & it runs the fuel pump. So the fuel pump wiring can be ruled out as being at fault.

It cranks but the pump doesnt run & the plugs dont spark!

Dunno what to try or look for next. So far this weekend I've battled with a snapped off spark plug & a brand new heater matrix that has dumped all my coolant and antifreeze into the footwells. :confused: :mad: :tard: :cry:

Adam
18-05-08, 07:39 PM
Replied on mig

General Baxter
18-05-08, 07:41 PM
my mate had a corsa with a afm but it allso had the transponder and chip thingy!

check the millions of earths lol

craig green
18-05-08, 07:44 PM
Aye. Checked Earths.

General Baxter
18-05-08, 08:00 PM
i had the problem, mine was, the earth strap from the box to the chassis leg! lol

Will F
19-05-08, 08:43 AM
Sure you have already checked... FPR?

Got a EML on dash etc?

Only other thing that controls both spark and fuel is crank sensor...

craig green
19-05-08, 10:38 AM
How would I 'check' the pump relay Will? Volt meter on what pins?

I'm such a retard when it comes to wiring. I'm pretty confident in how its wired in though, so my guess is the crank sensor is at fault tbh.

I'm going to try & get the EML sorted this evening. Take it from there.

Will F
19-05-08, 11:31 AM
Hard to tell without the EML, as thats the way I have always checked... have you not got another you can try?

Or if you get someone to hold the relay when you turn it over - it should click...

ck
19-05-08, 11:37 AM
1st thing is to fit an engine managment light tbh.

ck
19-05-08, 11:56 AM
only physicaly need a couple of wires to start it. main ones are all the earths in the engine bay, main ones are above alternator and one on the passenger end of mantzel.
then main ones at ecu end are the black & red and the red/blue fuel pump wire.

one way is to wire a bulb into the fuel pump wire and to an earth then turn it over this way u will know if its switching the pump on..

just tryin to think of anythin else easy to try

craig green
19-05-08, 01:42 PM
Or if you get someone to hold the relay when you turn it over - it should click...

Seeing as it appears the ECU is blatantly dead (no life) I dont reckon the relay would 'click anyhow'.

only physicaly need a couple of wires to start it. main ones are all the earths in the engine bay, main ones are above alternator and one on the passenger end of mantzel.
then main ones at ecu end are the black & red and the red/blue fuel pump wire.

one way is to wire a bulb into the fuel pump wire and to an earth then turn it over this way u will know if its switching the pump on..

just tryin to think of anythin else easy to try

I actually refreshed the earths on the inlet before attempting any starting etc, so I'm sure they are fine.

Black & Red wires were on main ECU plug yeah?

Tonights task is sort out the EML. Care to run through that with me?
Car is a Nova GSi so did have working EML with last engine.

Will F
19-05-08, 01:57 PM
How comes the ECU is dead (as in fecked)?

How can you tell, not as if it has a red LED on it! lol

craig green
19-05-08, 02:10 PM
Well the ECU doesnt appear to be doing anything. Needs more investigation tbh (& EML)

craig green
19-05-08, 02:23 PM
Adding this for reference;

These are the plugs on the 16XE loom.
Blue & Red plugs are for ECU. The square black plug in fore ground is the main power wires & revs signal/temp etc. And the other plug is spare/ignored so I've been told many a time.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/NovaGSi-WIP_pics/work_in_progress082.jpg

I converted the main feed plug to this Nova plug, so the XE would simply 'plug in'.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/NovaGSi-WIP_pics/movein033.jpg

ck
19-05-08, 05:25 PM
craig i just remembered the corsa had a stoopid bloody alarm on it, most alarms have you tap into the engine loom for the imobiliser part. check futher up on the ecu end to make sure the tampered wires are connected back up colour to colour. i think that could be it, im sure i remember cuttin 2 wires further up...

craig green
19-05-08, 07:43 PM
craig i just remembered the corsa had a stoopid bloody alarm on it, most alarms have you tap into the engine loom for the imobiliser part. check futher up on the ecu end to make sure the tampered wires are connected back up colour to colour. i think that could be it, im sure i remember cuttin 2 wires further up...

Ace! Thats something that had crossed my mind. Will you be online for a bit if I get pics of them?

Just at my parents - on net. But live 1 mile away.
CG

ck
19-05-08, 07:56 PM
yeah should be mate..

craig green
19-05-08, 08:18 PM
Just uploading now.....

Not much to see except maybe it'll jog your memory. Theres 2 spurs off the loom, both are a pair of black wires. 1 pair I reckon are joined & the other pair are just snipped off. I actually put some heat shrink over the ends a few weeks ago.

craig green
19-05-08, 08:22 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/NovaGSi-WIP_pics/WIPmay2008037.jpg

1st pic showing an over view of the 2 spurs that come off the wiring.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/NovaGSi-WIP_pics/WIPmay2008038.jpg

Close up of 2 blacks that were taped together. I pulled off my heatshrink & unwound the insulation tape that was on there.

Adam
19-05-08, 08:28 PM
Thats almost certainly the problem then

craig green
19-05-08, 08:30 PM
Hoorah. Maybe the problem then.

It just seems odd to me that 2 black wires run parallel along the loom & end together. Surely they were for something before someone boshed an alarm onto it?

Still need to sort the EML. Can't find my Dads test light.

Adam
19-05-08, 08:31 PM
Borrown the rear numberplate bulb for a test light
You'll probably find those two wires used to be joined together(just in a loop)

ck
19-05-08, 08:32 PM
lol, pull them back and see what there joined to. should be a case of removing those small black wires and then colour to colour :) im glad i remembered that lol. hope it starts :D

manifold done now?

get a video if it does mate wanna hear it again, must have been close to two years now lol

craig green
19-05-08, 09:02 PM
get a video if it does mate wanna hear it again, must have been close to two years now lol

Its having the exhaust system made to fit on Wednesday morning, so any vids will be after that. Prtetty sure it'd sound pants off my camera mic. lol

Off home to try it.

ck
19-05-08, 09:03 PM
effectivly when the alarm woudl have been fitted they woudl have found one of the black switched lives in the engine loom. they would have cut it in half then soldered a new wire on each end which woudl have gone to the alarm. hence those 2 wires.

im pretty sure you can simply join those two together and then it will work...

but as i said earlier its worth tracing them back to see where they go and remove them fully if they have been sliced into. making it look factory again :D

ck
19-05-08, 09:03 PM
good luck mate :D im off out now but my number is 07972121835 if u need anythin

chris

craig green
20-05-08, 09:18 AM
Got it running, cheers boys!

Connected the chopped alarm wires (2 blacks) & cranked it & nothing still. Wired in the EML as per Adams last post (mig), turned on ign & the light stayed on for a considerable length of time. Cranked it over & it fired. (fooking loud off manifold). Removed the wiring I rigged up for the EML & tried it again & it ran again. Bit odd but happy none the less.

Beers all around.

Riggy
20-05-08, 10:31 PM
good news craig :thumb: