PDA

View Full Version : straight cut gearboxes

novajoe20
17-05-08, 05:20 PM
What they like to live with on a road car, cus i fancy one but everyone said it would do me tits in, or are they stupid on the road.

trackdaynova
17-05-08, 05:22 PM
They're great, depends if you're a pansy or not.

I have a road going (albeit not my everyday car), but I love it on the road.

Ipods do help though, if the journey is 3 hours + lol

walshc
17-05-08, 05:32 PM
Id imagine it would drive you crackers on a daily drive yeah lol
They sound like superchargers on speed lol
Plus you`d have all the local dogs chasing you

BUT they are awesome :cool: :thumb: do it :)

novajoe20
17-05-08, 08:01 PM
i just keep getting more and more tempted, i love the sound, think it gotta be done. i'll let you know how nuts it sends me hahaha.lol any recommendations on were to get one, i looked at quaife for them, who else.

Lee
17-05-08, 09:00 PM
The noise isnt your worst enemy, the 5th gear ratio on motorways is lol

AlexW
17-05-08, 09:25 PM
*cough* whats a straight cut gearbox? :S *caugh*

Asa-James
17-05-08, 10:08 PM
rather than the teeth on the gears cut chevrons ( \/ ) they are stright cut . the chevrons help reduce noise and make the shift easier as they mesh better iirc. pioneered by citroen, hence the double chevron badge. i'm not entirely sure on the benefits of dog boxes, but i'm guessing big gains in motorsport. revers gears in cars are usually stright cut with no synchro, thats why you get a little crunch from reverse now and again

piccy of "normal gear" minus a few teeth...
http://www.platonoff.com/auto/i/20060615.Fifth_gear.jpg

and a straight cut gear...
http://www.ram-gear.com/art/spur.jpg

why do i feel like someones gonna make a fool of me now?

CP
17-05-08, 10:22 PM
Apart from the points others have made, ordinary quaife type 5SCCR boxes utilise straight cut gears mated to the std synchro sets off a std gearcluster so they operate in exactly the same way as a std 'box. The ratios are much closer together which makes for more enjoyable "sporty" driving if you like chasing up and down the box with the revs way up. Top end speed is dependant on FD ratio and wheel size/wear as well as revs but as Lee says tend to be lower.

What I think you maybe hearing about is the use a "dog box" on the road. Dog boxes have massive (large, wide and large toothed) straight cut gears (bigger than SCCR) with no std type synchro sets. The gearbox housing has to have material remove from the inside to accomodate the larger gears! These are usually fitted in rally type cars with low final drive ratios and (very) limited slip diffs. They are hardcore and made to be indestructible in extreme competition situations. You can do stuff like full throttle changes with or without de-clutching.

These are quite few more notches above in intensity than the 5SCCR type box that most track/road peeps use and not really appropriate for road use