PDA

View Full Version : CHEAP WELDERS

carltoncrazy
06-09-02, 09:10 PM
dont hink cheap welders exist,
any how my boot needs ALOT of welding,tho i can weld,i aint to happy bout doing it on this thin metal.
so anyone know of the cheapist place to get it welded?
and plz no stupid suggestion,like "scrap it",
it aint an option,so dont say it,ok,
so b blunt but its taking the piss,i know its gonna be expensive

CP
06-09-02, 11:32 PM
The cheapest portable welders are stick welders but they aren't really suitable for welding thin stuff. The best is a small mig but this needs to run with gas - CO2 or Argoshield or similar and 0.8mm or less wire. You should be able to hire/borrow one of these as they are fairly common.
The best techique is to spot weld new bits in after fully prepping the area to be patched down to the bare metal thats completely free of rust, paint or sealer. I personally find that using mulitple spot welds around the patch allows you finally to use longer runs - maybe 10 -20 mm to finish it off as then there is enough metal to avoid the worst of burning thru. Its a question of being patient. The metal warps with heat so have a small hammer handy to tap it all into place as you gradually weld it up.
If you can weld you should be able to do it OK. Check that you have a bucket of water handy and double check whats on the underside of where you are welding as the sealing compounds on cars burn very readily as do petrol tanks and fuel lines! :o

carltoncrazy
06-09-02, 11:41 PM
yeh i can weld,but to be honest its got more to do with me being scared shit of it(welded land rover chassis etc but there ALOT thick),and really i dont have much time.you advice is right
but id prefere to pay for this to be done,no its stupid,no its gonna be expensive but i dont have the time

Ben (lurk75)
07-09-02, 12:41 AM
welding is the same as spraying, your not relly paying for materials your paying for experience.

my old man is a welding inspector and spends his life on oil rigs and refinaries, and he has told me all about how dangerous dodgy welding can be. ok its a bit different on a car but just check out whos doing your work :o