PDA

View Full Version : Roof lining fluff removal

Iain
15-05-08, 10:38 AM
Couldn't find this question asked when searching...

Any tips or tricks for removing the fluff left behind by the roof lining deadening? I was lucky with a few pieces falling off but others (front mainly) have left a lot of fluff stuck to the roof.

Any products that can be sprayed/painted on which won't drip and damage the seats/paintwork below?

jimbob-mcgrew
15-05-08, 11:02 AM
could you do me a favour please mate, and get a picture of the roof with the lining off, interested to see what it looks like underneath. any idea how much weight reduction from the process ?

Iain
15-05-08, 11:12 AM
Sure lol Shows how much manky fluff stuff is left. I weighed the padding and material with metal supports and it only came to 2kg. Baxter says he weighed his (saloon) and it came to 4.6 though. :(

http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/RoofLining.JPG

jimbob-mcgrew
15-05-08, 11:13 PM
cheers man, you got a good shot there, looks like your going for it, stripped out all over - deffo a future job for mine i think.
i know it sounds a bit cowboy, but have you tried flashing a lighter at the fluff, flames might flow along and thin it down a bit, then maybe rubbing it with a bit of petrol or some sort of thinner, then a wax on/wax off polish to finish it off ?

draper
15-05-08, 11:13 PM
haet gun/hairdryyer and a scraper

Dod
16-05-08, 09:26 AM
Petrol and a lighter. Burn it off but put plenty of Ice on the roof of the car to prevent Paint bubbling.

Iain
16-05-08, 10:15 AM
Don't fancy the sound of setting fire to my roof lol

Rubbed some petrol on the rear half and picked/scraped with a credit card at the front half and got down to this. Petrol seems to remove the glue nicely :) Looks a bit better anyway...

http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/RoofLining2.JPG

Dod
16-05-08, 10:41 AM
WOW!!!

You took me seriously?

AlexW
16-05-08, 10:43 AM
WOW!!!

You took me seriously?

1st time in how many years? lol

Dod
16-05-08, 10:53 AM
Yeah, its worrying to say the least!!

jimbob-mcgrew
16-05-08, 11:06 AM
gandalf - wielder of the flame lol

looking good there ian, that leftover glue looks like proper stubborn stuff, might need abit of heat and scrape styles to get rid of that.

edit, edit, edit

Iain
16-05-08, 11:20 AM
WOW!!!

You took me seriously?
:confused: I didn't set fire to my roof? I just rubbed in a bit of petrol to get rid of some glue.

Dod
16-05-08, 11:32 AM
Ok, you missed the point

You thought my suggestion was a serious one. It wasnt.

Why not gather the glue and fix the leak? I've some i can send to you.