PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge has gone mad!

fix
15-05-08, 09:17 AM
Hi ive just fit some new clocks into my nova and every now and again the fuel gauge just goes all the way round like theres loads of fuel in when theres not.

I assume theres dodgy connection somewhere but i dont understand why they work sometimes and why my old clocks worked fine.Its only one big connector to the back of the clocks so cant see whats gone wrong

I posted this in Migweb and got told its a dodgy earth wire from the tank but all wiring under the rear seats has tubing over it so i cant see if anything wrong.

After driving it yesterday most of the time the gauge is wrong but then sometimes when i go round a corner it returns to normal!

Can anyone help? ta :thumb:

AlexW
15-05-08, 09:23 AM
Had this problem with mine, it just disapeared after a short time, but i was taking the dials out all the time, Just try poping out the dials and wiggling all the wires and pushing them in. Then try it again

fix
15-05-08, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the reply,yep id have though it'd be a problem at the dash end rather than the tank as thats the only area thats been messed with.

Il take the dash out and have a wiggle see if it helps :D

paulnova
15-05-08, 12:26 PM
fault fuel guage i suspect, mine did the same, went right round to full even though i had an empty tank lol, i just put a new fuel guage in!! try putting the fuel guage from your old clocks in

fix
15-05-08, 12:35 PM
Its not that the gauge shows full it shows way way over full! Like as far as the needle could possibly go

Did your faulty gauge stop at the full mark?

paulnova
15-05-08, 12:41 PM
no it went all the way round as far as possible like yours is doing, if there standard nova clocks then its only 3x 8mm nuts to swap the fuel guage!

mikey14sr
15-05-08, 06:18 PM
If it's six-dial clocks you need to remove the temp gauge first as one of it's legs holds the circuit board for the fuel gauge.

fix
15-05-08, 06:58 PM
Cheers im hoping i dont have to remove the gauges tho! If the temp gauge goes all the way past full and alot further would this happen if it was faulty?

mikey14sr
15-05-08, 07:17 PM
It would certainly happen if the wire had come off the sensor and was earthing out on the engine.

fix
15-05-08, 08:28 PM
Isnt the sensor inside the tank then the wire goes through the car to the clocks?

mikey14sr
16-05-08, 02:18 PM
Isnt the sensor inside the tank then the wire goes through the car to the clocks?

For the fuel tank yes, but my last reply was for the temp gauge?

If the temp gauge goes all the way past full and alot further would this happen if it was faulty?

fix
16-05-08, 05:03 PM
Lol ive lost you,theres no wire come off behind the clocks but where should i be looking for a wire loose by the sensor,is it where the fuel pump would be? ta

fix
18-05-08, 08:35 AM
Anyone?

mikey14sr
18-05-08, 09:32 AM
Fuel gauge sensor or sender unit is fitted to the back of the tank, look for a circle shaped bit with a wiring connection on it.