PDA

View Full Version : Why are people in the motorsport business so unreliable?

t45_ste
14-05-08, 06:50 PM
As title. Been waiting for 5 items from various places.

Block back from balancing - November - Local engine builders
Part of wide track kit - November - Clarke motorsport
Wide arches - March - Magnum motorsport
Diff and solid mounts - March -

None of them phone to update me and when i phone they usually bull **** me!

draper
14-05-08, 06:58 PM
how do you know there giving you bull when you ring them ??

t45_ste
14-05-08, 07:18 PM
I recieved the wide track kit 3 months ago. I sent part of it back as the quality was ****e. They keep telling me they have re made the parts, will get them sent out tomorrrow? They never arive!

Wide arches firstly told me a couple of weeks, thought fair enough. Their latest excuse was we have sent them, followed by ohhh we sent them to the wrong person. They just dont sound convinceing over the phone.

Engine balancers. You will have it for next week. Thats EVERY week.

Supose im being a bit unfair to chris. Im just in one of those moods, sick of waiting for parts. Would be nice to be contacted just to let me know i havnt been forgotten about.

draper
14-05-08, 07:20 PM
can see where your coming from then there matey, as for the engine if there local can you not call in and see whats happening ??

t45_ste
14-05-08, 07:56 PM
I used to call in every week just to see the block sat there. Sick of wasting fuel chasing them. Hey ho

draper
14-05-08, 07:56 PM
ive just read on corsasport chris astley is a member of staff down and uber busy

shy witness
14-05-08, 08:17 PM
i now exactly how u feel mate.

i've been waiting a month now for some bits from autovaux.............and i do appreciate that the bits might be a bit hard to get .........but i think i've been powder puffed just from 1 week .....too the next.

i've phoned more times than enough.........and got answers on some occasions...

trhen theres the"we'll ring u back "........lol........(no comment on that 1 to be honest)

i'm still waiting ...and have been told that it should all be sorted by the end of the week.(however they definatly cant get 1 of the ordered parts now)

i'm an easy goin guy............in general......but my car need s mot'd...and i've lost over a months summer driving outta it now over this.

hya just have to keep the chin up i guess

ben21
14-05-08, 08:38 PM
Took me 10 weeks to get 2 seats of Magnum Motorsport which they said would take 5 working days mate. Keep pestering them and they'll get done in the end!

Stuart
14-05-08, 08:43 PM
Motorsport businesses have to keep competitors happy then "normal" users come 2nd as you havent got race meets to attend etc.

They also tend to not make massive profit so stuff gets priorotised accordingly (ie most lucrative first) rather than first come first served.

This is the very reason why I refuse to work in the motorsport industry as they pay crap and demand silly hours off you to solve these problems

craig green
14-05-08, 08:48 PM
Tbh. In my time fettling cars I've found the whole motor industry is the same. If you book your car into a garage (stopped that years ago) it takes longer & costs more.. If you order something, it never arrives when you are told.

I always plan for longer delays & higher cost than what I am led to believe.

Sounds like 'I told you so', but its just the way my mind operates after knowing such inreliable & inconsistent companies....

The only consollation is that it will all be worth it in the end....

Stuart
14-05-08, 09:17 PM
we are bad as Tier 1's and OEM's but we are a damn site better than the motorsport arm of the industry. Mainly as we get huge fines from the customers rather than getting a simple "fcuk you I'll go elsewhere" from a rally driver lol

CP
14-05-08, 09:59 PM
Although i've had my fair share of being let down on time for stuff to arrive and the old "we'll ring you straight back" I've also had plenty of good experiences

I've only had a problem with Demon Tweeks once. Otherwise its a piece of piss and stuff almosty always arrives next day as stated by the operative. The other day I ordered a seat and a mirror early pm. It was at my workshop at 8.30am next morning - you can't say fairer than that. Ok stuff can be a bit more pricey but thats the trade off- you cant have everything.

I've ordered cam kits direct from Piper - been with me in a couple of days

I've ordered stuff from Eurocarparts - been with me next day although they have sent the wrong stuff on a couple of occasions.

I regularly order stuff from my local auto factors Bedford Battery and more often than not it arrives same day! (Though at the moment they are a few days late on a present orderlol )

I ordered some new nova wings from Parts panel - they arrived next day.

I've numerous engines worked on at several machine shops including having special valves etc and its mostly been done when agreed.

Not being critical just put the other side for a bit of balance:)

mowgli
14-05-08, 10:21 PM
the main problem with parts suppliers is that the majority of parts people are failed mechanics, & they get thrown into the stores.
I did nearly 10 years in the parts trade, the wages are terrible, the margins are huge.....at main dealers.
there truly are some idiots doing the job, I once had a row with a parts bloke because I wanted a 600r9 trailer rim & he kept telling me he needed the tyre size before he could order one, & I kept telling him it was 600r9
I worked with digger, tractor & lorry parts, cockups are not tolerated when someones livelihood is in jeopardy because of a broken part. I once got dragged out of a pub at 1030 to fix a combine harvester
I once sold a crank to a bloke in new zealand & it got there in three days!!!

These people need a bollocking, if you have given money, then get legal at the county court, if you have sent components demand their return.
If they get shirty, quote the sale of goods & services act, which states things need to be fit for the purpose, & delivered within a reasonable timescale.

stark
15-05-08, 11:27 PM
I dont think its fair to tar 'everyone' with the same brush.

The problem is, 80% of companies with the word MOTORSPORT in their title have nothing to do with motorsport. Query what actual competition work they do and you soon realise that they're really only a part pusher. Anyone can sign up to distribute parts but it doesnt make them an expert in motorsport...

Clarke Motorsport are effectively the renamed Walden Engineering who were known to take a while to deliver goods. Same staff, different name. Nigel who used to own WE but now works for CM is a very experienced and knowledgeable guy.

Some companies are full of excuses and others are totally honest and upfront. If they're short staffed or whatever then they shouldn't take on so much work, simple. But to be honest, theres very little you can do except vote with your feet and dont put business their way.

mayhem
16-05-08, 10:20 AM
try ordering @ chris astley motorsports when youre from the netherlands..

focking 2 months and still nothing,

Dod
16-05-08, 10:58 AM
Ok, i used to work in a Builsers suppliers and found 1 method very very effective.

Phone them up, give them X amount of time, and tell them, you're calling on that date for either your money or your goods. Tell them to make sure whoever is working, Managers etc are made aware of this as you're fed up waiting and being fobbed off. I know this isnt going to be easy for most people but its is very effective.

t45_ste
16-05-08, 01:22 PM
try ordering @ chris astley motorsports when youre from the netherlands..

focking 2 months and still nothing,

Im waiting for parts off him too (6 weeks) dont think he has them in stock though.

EDIT Recieved Diff and mounts woo hoo