PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Timing on Nova Sting

gunner1x1
13-05-08, 10:34 PM
After passing my test, I have just got my first car, a 1989 G reg 1.2 Nova Sting.

After the old girl who owned it stopped driving, it's been sitting in a garage for about 5 years, and is running a bit rough. When first stated from cold it wants to stall and just does not sound right (although when warm it sounds fine) and is only doing about 26 to the gallon.
Anyway I need to set the timing and although the Haynes manual says set it to 10 BTDC, the womans husband says that because of the change over from 4 star to unleaded around 1989/90 Vauxhall recommended that he retard it by 3 degrees to 7 BTDC. Does that sound right?

I know that this is all very basic stuff for you guys but remember its my first car and I don't want to ruin the engine ( not until I can find something with a lot more poke to drop in there):roll:

Any other advice about the way it is running?

Cheers

Mike

General Baxter
13-05-08, 10:36 PM
step one,

give a good service

nova258
13-05-08, 10:38 PM
on idil its mis fiering? it can be plugs too

mikey14sr
13-05-08, 11:23 PM
The 1.2 ohc engine was designed to run on unleaded from the start, keep the timing at 10 degrees, and make sure the dizzy cap and rotor arm are in good nick (most likely not if it had been stood so long).
Also check the plug leads, plugs, if there's a fuel filter that it's clean, might be worth taking the air filter off and giving the inside of the carb a blast with carb cleaner.

Failing that lot, you have worked out how to use the manual choke properly haven't you?

Edit: also, if it's sat for that long without being touched I'd strongly recommend changing the cam belt, water pump, thermostat, oil and filter, air filter, and give the cooling system a good flushing out.

big gra
14-05-08, 12:16 AM
mikey14sr is dead right, plugs, leads and even coil could do with changing. check the vaccum advance pipe isnt blocked up with sh!t.

have you put fresh petrol in?

Stuart
14-05-08, 08:09 AM
take it to a Krypton tune type place and get them to set all the emissions/ign advance up to std levels... then enjoy.

gunner1x1
14-05-08, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys. Maybe I should have told you what I had already done to the car and saved your time.
For obvious reasons (and because I have heard horror stories) one of the first things I was change the cam belt. I also gave it a service and fitted new leads, plugs, oil and air filter, dizzy and rotor arm. I flushed the rad out and replaced the anti freeze, and also drained the tank and filled it with new petrol.
The front brakes also seized up the day after i bought it and in the end I had to change the master cylinder. At the same time I overhauled the front brake calipers and fitted new disc's and pads. I am going to have to do the rear drums at some time, because if you leave the car standing for more then a couple of days (we have real cold nights up here in Scotland), you can feel/hear the rust on the drums/shoes, which clears after I have used the brakes a couple of times.

As Mikey suggests I will have to get some carb cleaner. Someone recommended that I pour some Redex in there, is this stuff any good?

Mikey you say to set the timing to 10 BTDC, but what made me think the old guy setting of 7 BTDC might be right was in the back of the Haynes manual it states that 1.2 engines after 1990 should be set to 5 BTDC. Unlike my car which has only one notch, it shows that these cars have two, one for 10 BTDC and one for 5 BTDC, so if as you say the 1.2 ohc engine was designed to run on unleaded, why the change?
I am NOT saying you are wrong, I am just worried that if he has been running it at 7 BTDC and it should have been 10, the engine might be damaged already, is this likely?

Anyway as you can see I have done most things, but it is still sounding rough on cold start and the mpg is very low. Thats the reason why I want to make sure the ignition timing is set right.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Mike

mikey14sr
14-05-08, 02:13 PM
All redex does is cause the engine to smoke for a bit in my opinion, certainly doesn't do as much cleaning as a proper strip-down and re-build with thinners and small brushes.

As I said earlier, you are using the choke correctly aren't you?

Stuart
14-05-08, 02:27 PM
running 3deg of retarded ign shouldnt be a huge issue, bar the exhaust valves getting excessively hot... but you would REALLY know if you had burnt one of those out.

You did get the engine timed up properly after the cambelt change didnt you?

gunner1x1
14-05-08, 02:33 PM
Mikey, I think striping the carb down is a bit behond me at the moment. So if Redex is no good, what about just spraying it with carb cleaner for now?

As for the choke, I pull it out to start the car and push it back in gradually until the engine is running alright without it, is that right?

Cheers

Mike

gunner1x1
14-05-08, 02:39 PM
Stuart,

I changed the belt myself, and just timed it backup to the tippex mark the old guy had put on there.

Cheers

Mike

Stuart
14-05-08, 02:54 PM
I mean the CAMBELT timing (as in the engines physical timing not the Ign)... you did get all the marks in the right place for that?

If it is all timed up right I'd just take it to somewhere that does Krypton style tuning (emissions and ign setup to factory settings) and get it running right. Its not likely to need stripping down etc.

gunner1x1
14-05-08, 03:40 PM
I see what you mean Stuart, yes I just followed the Haynes manual.

I think I will do as you suggest and take somewhere to have tuned. Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Mike

mikey14sr
14-05-08, 04:10 PM
Very rarely do you need to use full choke, I've found pulling right out and pushing halfway back in enough to get my 1.2's started over the years