PDA

View Full Version : 2ltr engine

SGA33
13-05-08, 01:25 PM
i have just dug out a 2ltr 16v engine that has sat in the shed for years.The engine does have water and oil in.I want to see if its still ok and turns over but do not want to strip it down as i dont have the space.What do i need to do?
Any help would be great.:)

Dod
13-05-08, 01:56 PM
Turn it by hand, if it turns freely, you might be ok. Has it got its starter in place?

Check the oil isnt ****e, might do no harm to pull off the cam cover and pour a little oil round the cams and head, but remove enough oil so as not to over fill it.

CoolTiger
13-05-08, 02:21 PM
it will prob be ok, my grandad had a old cavalier engine sitting in his back garden for about 3 years under 1/2ton of sand lol, the engine blew on is cav so he dragged this out brushed it down and worked fine for the rest of the time he had it ended up getting scrapped due to body tho

SGA33
13-05-08, 03:32 PM
Turn it by hand, if it turns freely, you might be ok. Has it got its starter in place?

Check the oil isnt ****e, might do no harm to pull off the cam cover and pour a little oil round the cams and head, but remove enough oil so as not to over fill it.

The starter is not on it so will try and turn it by hand. cheers:)

nova258
13-05-08, 10:43 PM
first chinge the oil and cline the sump and top cover if the starter was wit watr is stuked , treed to turn the engine with hand? remove the plugs to be shor that the engine is free , to not have the ristriction of the compresion

Dod
14-05-08, 09:11 AM
As above. If the flywheel isnt very free, use a Pry Bar to turn it. After sitting for a while, some of the oil may have gunged up and stopped it turning, with a little force it might turn.

SGA33
14-05-08, 01:05 PM
Finally got it turned useing a bit of brute force and a lot of swearing.It now seems to turn ok,so its getting jet washed today and painted. I will be seeing if i can persude the other half that rebuilding a nova on the driveway is a good thing,after the last attempt which took two years.lol pv2010 here i come.

Stuart
14-05-08, 01:27 PM
odds on the bores will be corroded to funk... bet the rings wont last long

Dod
14-05-08, 01:27 PM
Get a Starter onto it first. Take out the plugs as mentioned. Make sure its well Lubed and give it a few twirls with the starter. No Point in spending a **** load of time and money getting ti all cleaned up if its gonna sieze when you get in put into a motor.

Adam
14-05-08, 04:57 PM
Finally got it turned useing a bit of brute force and a lot of swearing.It now seems to turn ok
Thats pretty much fooked then.
Should be able turn it with a normal spanner by hand, even with the head on/plugs in etc

craig green
14-05-08, 05:07 PM
Spray some WD down the plug holes, change oil & cam belt & give it a blast. Be a shame to fit it & then find its junk but my guess is it'll be ok. Prolly down on power for a bit due to rings & bores.

Old farm machinery stands for years between being used. Abuse the hell out of it if it does go. It'll be one of those legends of how badly an engine is treated & how long it kept going on for......

SGA33
14-05-08, 09:55 PM
Jet washed it tonight and it is now sitting in the back of my focus to be sent to get the thing checked over.Thanks for the help,i am useless with engines just normally use pure luck fixing them but have bit the bullet and it is going to a local engineering company.:)

Nova_Tek
14-05-08, 10:26 PM
Nice one. get it sorted and you'll have a good engine.

Is it an XE or an XEV?

SGA33
15-05-08, 12:54 PM
Nice one. get it sorted and you'll have a good engine.

Is it an XE or an XEV?

It is a xe out of a calibra.

craig green
15-05-08, 02:56 PM
it is going to a local engineering company.:)

Cue potentially massive & un necessary bill.

I'd check for a Coscast head whilst you are at it, might come back with a GM head.....

SGA33
15-05-08, 03:36 PM
Cue potentially massive & un necessary bill.

I'd check for a Coscast head whilst you are at it, might come back with a GM head.....
The lad doing the work is a the brother of my mate so hopefully he wont muck it up.It has a coscast head on. He has worked on vauxhall engines before and at present has a drift style toyota starlet with a red top in it running on twin 55's.:)