PDA

View Full Version : Rennsport Coilovers

Mike B GTE
13-05-08, 01:02 PM
Hi! Has anyone had any experience with the above? anybody use them? anybody's mate use them? anybodys mates brothers half cousins dads step sisters lovechild use them?

saw them on the bay for £200, you get coilies for the front and dampers springs for the rear. TUV approved apparently.

just weighing up my suspension options just now before i buy anything. some form of adjustability would be good but i want something half decent, not really after budget stuff TBH - just thought id ask considering the silly low price.

Dod
13-05-08, 01:09 PM
Well at £200 they're not gonna be WRC Spec but then on the other hand, £200, you'd not get much more of a suspension kit for anyless!!

I say give it a shot. Worst case senario, take them out and sell them!

Mike B GTE
13-05-08, 01:17 PM
oh i know they wont exactly be up to KW or Gaz standards, just wanted to know whether they were complete gash and last about 3 weeks or if they were actually ok.

BIGS
13-05-08, 01:28 PM
yea ive got a set, there really good not to hard not to soft just enough for a firm ride, but the only problem is the back only go to 70mm not 120 like they say

Mike B GTE
13-05-08, 01:43 PM
the ebay add says -80mm max. but to be honest i wont be able to go that low on my wheels, dont know how low i can go - hense the reason i wanted something i could adjust. maybe give these a try come payday then. easy enough to fit BIGS?

BIGS
13-05-08, 02:49 PM
yea really easy, mine was harder as im using adjustable top mount and havent set them up propley haha. and ill get a pic of my car so you can see how low the front is and back ect

bigbened
13-05-08, 02:58 PM
ive heard good things about these as i know allot of the vw lot are using them, mine will be on order soon aswell

Nick
13-05-08, 03:03 PM
They'l be good for the VW scene as it's all about slamming the hell out of a rusty A reg shed. :)

You get what you pay for.

They'l probably be pretty poor. I'd save up another £200 and get some AVO's.

Mike B GTE
13-05-08, 03:03 PM
ive heard good things about these as i know allot of the vw lot are using them, mine will be on order soon aswell

looked at the guys feedback on the bay, a few nova/corsa ones but a ton of Mk1 / mk2 golfs using them. think i'll go for it. order in 2 weeks, then we'll see. :thumb:

Mike B GTE
13-05-08, 03:06 PM
You get what you pay for.

They'l probably be pretty poor. I'd save up another £200 and get some AVO's

no use to me mate - Keira Knightly is probably sh!t in bed - never been there though

BIGS
13-05-08, 03:07 PM
this is the front, can still go another 25 - 30 mm

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/the%20saloon/thesaloon006-1.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/bigs012.jpg

this is the rear without the adjuster so as low as it will go

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/the%20saloon/thesaloon010.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/the%20saloon/thesaloon008.jpg

Nick
13-05-08, 03:19 PM
no use to me mate - Keira Knightly is probably sh!t in bed - never been there though

Fair enough. Use your own judgement then, I certainly wouldn't buy some :thumb:

Mike B GTE
13-05-08, 03:35 PM
wasnt having a go mate, just wanted to hear from people who actually had used them. not really that sure on them after a little bit of research. Avos may be the ticket - wasnt a case of saving up the extra, quite prepared to pay Avo money, was just curious to hear how people found these for half the price.:thumb:

(probably do get what you pay for)

craig green
13-05-08, 04:00 PM
Speaking with BIGS at a regional meet, he seemed impressed.

I'd never buy cheap suspension again, but its worth a gamble if you can afford to lose some money after shifting them on perhaps.

As much as I despise crap suspension, I'm all for being pleasantly surprised by budget gear. It cant be that hard to make it right?????

BIGS
13-05-08, 04:31 PM
As Craig said i think they are great tbh. i will be buying another set to go on the gte. and if anyone is unsure and can wait to after pvs to get a set. your more then welcome to have a go in mine at pvs to see what they are like. is it worth waiting to save £300?

Mike
13-05-08, 06:13 PM
IMO there a bargain set of coilovers that offer simple upgrades when funds allow.

I.E, removable inserts :thumb: at a later date purchase Bilstien Tarmac inserts & custom springs. Hey presto.

Everyone is all to fast to knock cheap stuff, however look at the real world where bills have to be paid and food has to bought :thumb:

FUSION X16XE
13-05-08, 07:09 PM
ive got some on my corsa, nice and easy to fit, front and back got fitted in about 45mins, took a few days to set up to how i wanted tho. one problem i did notice is that the shock was rising up out of the topmount i think due to a missing washer but i fabricated some spacers and now there pukka.

Adam
13-05-08, 07:11 PM
lol lol lol lol lol

SRimon
13-05-08, 10:19 PM
Ive also got them on mine.

Good from what i've found so far, need to raise the front, catches for a past time.

SRimon
13-05-08, 10:21 PM
Oh and pics on a hatch...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/syep2001/Nova/IMG_1105.jpg

bigbened
14-05-08, 03:38 PM
how low down is the back of that mk1?

craig green
14-05-08, 04:38 PM
Everyone is all to fast to knock cheap stuff, however look at the real world where bills have to be paid and food has to bought

BUT & its a big BUT... Whats the point in spending on coilovers, for the sake of having COOLOVERS if the ride is poor, the road holding crap & the handling dangerous.... Cheap suspension is just a no-brainer.

I've been there & strongly recommend people dont waste money on bouncy crap that curls up & cries at the sight of a bump or depression in the road.

This reply is not aimed at these coilovers in particular.......

SRimon
14-05-08, 04:43 PM
how low down is the back of that mk1?

60ish

Adam
14-05-08, 04:43 PM
Looks about 60mm

Adam
14-05-08, 04:45 PM
Theres one situation id consider buying those coilovers, if i wanted ride height adjustable on a budget(even though the rears dont adjust lower than 60mm)
If your more bothered about handling your better off with a good shock/spring set(thick piston Bilsteins for example)