PDA

View Full Version : Bump Strips/ Rub Strips removeal advice.

hello147
12-05-08, 09:55 PM
Hey,

I have a 1.2 nova merit 5 door, and was wondering if the rub strips are pinned on or glued on?

If anyone could help would be a great help, currently grinding out rust and if i can remove this as soon as possible i will now if there is any rust underneath.

Cheers

JAK

Nevo
13-05-08, 11:17 PM
Yourite mate i took my side strips off my nova today if they are the same style as mine they are like double sided tape sort of stuff if your carefull you wont cause any damage . just pull them off then have fun cleaning the glue , dont worry its not that hard and they arnt pinned or owt ... :thumb:

PS: I found that little grey stripe just under the windows very fookin hard ta get off mind ya , lol

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/nevison_01/Image006.jpg

Dod
14-05-08, 09:52 AM
Heat them with a heat gun or Hair dryer, then get a hold of one end and slowly prize it off.

matt_vaughan
14-05-08, 08:40 PM
Yep took ages but definately worth it!

Jim
14-05-08, 10:13 PM
I was going to write a guide on doing this but never got round to it. I used a heat gun usually used for stripping paint from woodwork within the home. It has 3 settings, to I used the lowest setting so that I didn't cause the surrounding paintwork to get too hot and start to bubble.

Apply heat to the beginning of the rub strip for about 15seconds, then very gently peel it back about 3-4inches. Heat up the next part of the rub strip and pull back the same amount. Do this all along the section of the rubstrip to be removed.

Chances are you'll be left with some glue or even foam residue on the car. Apply heat in the same way as before, but for only about 10 seconds as you'll be applying heat directly to the paint now. Peel away as much of the residue as you can with your finger nails or a cloth of sorts. The more you can remove at this stage with the heat the easier it'll be in the long run.

Once you've removed as much of the residue as you can use tar remover to get the rest of it off. It'll take a fair bit of elbow gease to get it all off, but it's about the best way of doing it without buying special drill attachments that proffesional bodyshops might use.

Get yourself a Meguairs clay bar and detail spray to get any small bits off the car.

Give the car a good clean and use some paint restoring polish or similar on the panels as chances are the paint under the rub strips will be a different shade so you need to try and restore the exposed paint to match as best you can.

That's about it. Take your time and you should be alright.

Jim.

Nova_Tek
14-05-08, 10:20 PM
Or use some Methylated spirit to get the rest of the glue off. Took me a long time to get my grey bumpstrip-wannabe-vinyls off but did the trick and no harm done to the paint.

be carefull or you might get high on the stuff

dave_bates
14-05-08, 10:36 PM
forget elbow grease or chemicals, There is a tool specifically designed for the job and its less than a tenner!

rubber abraisive wheel, other wise known as a toffee wheel, caramel wheel, fudge wheel as it's a toffee colour, you stick it in the end of a drill it spins , you stick it on your car and hey presto, no more sticky stuff and perfect paint! save hours. as long as you dont hold it in one place for too long your laughing.

check it out here:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STRIPE-ERASER-WHEEL-TOFFEE-WHEEL_W0QQitemZ160240356335QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3092 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dod
15-05-08, 09:12 AM
You mean the same one as mentioned above by Jim?

They seem to be very good, I never tried one but I'm definately going to get one. Even if its ****, its sub 10 quid.

Jack
15-05-08, 10:57 AM
As per OP's other thread, guide is here (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93819)

Nova_Tek
15-05-08, 08:28 PM
forget elbow grease or chemicals, There is a tool specifically designed for the job and its less than a tenner!

rubber abraisive wheel, other wise known as a toffee wheel, caramel wheel, fudge wheel as it's a toffee colour, you stick it in the end of a drill it spins , you stick it on your car and hey presto, no more sticky stuff and perfect paint! save hours. as long as you dont hold it in one place for too long your laughing.

check it out here:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STRIPE-ERASER-WHEEL-TOFFEE-WHEEL_W0QQitemZ160240356335QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3092 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Why didnt anyone tell me this when I was taking off my stips?

would have saved me about 5 hours, 10 quid in methylated spirits and a hangover from al the fumes lol

General Baxter
15-05-08, 08:36 PM
as long as you dont hold it in one place for too long your laughing.

:roll: :D