PDA

View Full Version : lost power xe nova

xe Dan
12-05-08, 07:36 PM
help my car seems to have a flat spot and in fifth pulls to 80 then strugles to even hit 100 seems to pull better if i dont completely floor it could this b air flow meter any help would be good cheers

Nova_Tek
12-05-08, 09:46 PM
Have you check all the usual stuff? Filters, dizzy (if any), leads? Check spark plugs as they sometimes can give you signs if the engine is running ok. Have you got a cone filter? They can give flat spots.

Check fault codes see if theres any faults logged that might give a clue. Check all air hoses

Just a case of elminating things to get to the problem.

meritlover
13-05-08, 12:45 PM
80 is fast enough for anyone on the road.

Dod
13-05-08, 01:11 PM
Is the car ok up until 5th gear? Will it pass 80 in lower gears?

xe Dan
14-05-08, 02:46 PM
its got flat spots i all gears. if i give it stick through gears every time i change it hezertates also it goes thorough gears till 5 thousand rpm and once it gets past that it pulls like it should apart from 5th where it wont pull much above 4000 rpm its got a cone filter but was fine last week it just as said trial and elimination i will let u no how it goes peps cheers

xe Dan
14-05-08, 02:47 PM
o yes and any thing over 80 is on my private race track lol

Dod
14-05-08, 02:55 PM
Ok, theres a Rubber hose from your Air Flow Meter to the SFi Box, examine it for signs of cracking, or being ****ed. Let me know what shape its in.

Stuart
14-05-08, 03:23 PM
easiest way is to spray the hose with easystart at idle... if the revs increase then youve got a fuggered pipe.

Dod
14-05-08, 03:44 PM
Or open the bonnet, look in and see?

Stuart
14-05-08, 03:53 PM
Or open the bonnet, look in and see?

you cant always see the cracks/holes in the pipework unless you go over every sqmm of it with a fine toothcomb.

spraying easystart/other solvent on the hose shows it up immediately and you can then throw it in the bin/look else where lol. saves tons of time :D

xe Dan
14-05-08, 04:01 PM
rite checked pipe looks fine cleaned it inside and out also cleaned all induction hoses and air filter i no this is a diffrent question but what does the
screw on the air flow meter do?

Dod
14-05-08, 04:55 PM
Its an adjustment screw, leave it alone!!!

It sounds like a timing gueling fault mate, you tried Plugs and Leads?

craig green
14-05-08, 05:13 PM
How recently was it serviced, plugs/leads & cap, fuel filter etc? (dont forget plug gaps)

Remove the CTS (blue sensor) & buff the brass sensor tip back to a mirror. Also check the wiring to this sensor isnt chafed.

Has it been using more fuel than normal?

Check the timing marks on cams match the engine at TDC. Use a screwdriver down plug hole no1 to find TDC (you cant rely onm bottom pulley as the rubber can move giving a false position)... FFS find TDC by hand using bottom pulley & spanner/socket. You want the pointers all in line at TDC (top dead centre)

Lastly.. My fave. Earth the alternator tensioning bracket to the batteries -ve terminal. This may help eliminate the misfire/flat spot. Its easy & often very effective.

xe Dan
15-05-08, 03:42 PM
new symptem if i rev it it some times takes ages to come down the revs this mite not be related to the problem it could be my idle control valve needs a clean. its gettin me down now i want full power again i tryed to play with a miestro turbo but got left for dead but when i raced the same one ages ago in my corsa red top showed him a thing o two.

CoupeUK
15-05-08, 04:27 PM
What fuel pump you running? My XE was on a 1.2 pump for ages, wouldnt go over 110.....changed fuel filter and fitted MPi pump and it'll go way off the 130mph clock!

craig green
15-05-08, 04:29 PM
What fuel pump you running? My XE was on a 1.2 pump for ages

Good point....

Be nice if the chap would pop on say he's taking our advice & some progress.. :thumb:

xe Dan
15-05-08, 04:40 PM
sorry lads thanks 4 all the advice its runnin an external pump my mate said its a gte one but not sure is a nova gte one enough to run a red top was told the car had new plugs leads dizzy and all that a week before i got it and ive had it a month but im goin to change it all again this weekend. what else could i get an external pump off as mine is a bit noisy aswell im goin down the scrappy for some bits any way?

xe Dan
16-05-08, 05:55 PM
right caes got worse it wouldnt start this mornin so new plugs leads dizzy cap rota arm and goin scrappy for a fuel pump will let u no how i get on

craig green
16-05-08, 11:45 PM
Make sure the pump is off an MPI engine (injector per cylinder). Make sure the plugs are gapped correctly. See HAYNES for XE.

Have you earthed the -ve terminal to the alternator bracket?

xe Dan
17-05-08, 10:12 AM
doing everything today will let u know how it goes cheers

xe Dan
17-05-08, 01:14 PM
rite put new leads plugs dizzy cap rota arm on started ok buts still very flat some times wants to go then holds back so maybe a lose conection goin to do the earth thing in a min i may b bein stupid wots the cts sensor o yes got a fuel pump aswell

craig green
17-05-08, 01:48 PM
CTS sensor is the 'coolant temperature sensor'. Its mounted in the stat housing at the front where the hose comes off the head to the top of the rad (drivers side). Blue plug with 2 wires. Unscrew it carefully & slowly, yopu'll lose coolant & avoid snapping the sata housing.. happened to mine.

xe Dan
17-05-08, 04:08 PM
rite just been to me mates doin some bits and put his afm on my car and it seems to have solved the problem fingers crossed. i was also goin to do that earth thing and there seems to be an earth already fitted but insted of goin to alternator it goes to the inlet manifold is that the same sort of thing that i was asked to try couple of jobs done couple of thousend more to do lol thanks for the help to everyone cheers