PDA

View Full Version : Sri loom removal

novanum1
11-05-08, 11:42 PM
Hi all.

After blowing a hole in the block today. its time to get the engine out. all the engine ready to be droped but i cant get this loom out for nothing its all stuck with the car loom. im puting in a Gsi engine in.

So am i right in saying i need to split the engine loom from the car loom then etheir cut the wires back or cut the ecu blocks out and pull it thru.

Then wire the Gsi engine loom to the nova car loom.ie engine temp, starter

Any hints and tips

The Simps
11-05-08, 11:52 PM
I know when I went to convrt my SRI to XE I cut all the unwanted loom out. Pain in the ass and time consuming with a haynes manual but you will have plenty of permanent, ignition and earths behind the dash for stuff like guages.

Or you can curl it up behind the glovebox and just join the few wires you need.

Or you can get another loom from another model nova.

novanum1
12-05-08, 12:08 AM
Bagsy the wire cutter lol anyone want half a SRI loom then lol.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/thunns/IMAGE_078.jpg

the reason why. i was nearly at the beach awell at cromer lol

The Simps
12-05-08, 12:18 AM
getting out to my neck of the woods then! I'm from fakenham but live in norwich now.

novanum1
12-05-08, 12:29 AM
argh some one local if i get any problems doing my engine change wayhey lol

Dod
12-05-08, 09:25 AM
In a word, NO.

Disconnect the ECU, (behind the Glove box, this needs to come out as well)

IIRC (as I've been working on Astras and Cavs lately) there are probably a few Relays that could do with being unplugged.

Have a second person in the engine bay slowly pulling the Loom outward as you inside the car feed it out to him.

Dont remove it from the engine as its a good reference when putting your new engine in as most of the plugs are similar and in similar postions.

novanum1
12-05-08, 04:28 PM
thats easyer said than done, That worked when i took a loom out off a cav. because it wasnt with the car loom. so there was like 2 looms that went in the car. but on the nova Sri its all in one. and i dont realy want to have to take the whole loom out if i can just match them up.

Dod
12-05-08, 04:40 PM
Wont it split once out?

Adam
12-05-08, 05:06 PM
No they dont split into car/engine loom.

Its permanently connected, and wrapped in one same as SPi looms.

novanum1
12-05-08, 07:13 PM
Yeah thats its
so its going to be match and join then,

Does anyone know how many wires there is to join it to a GSI/GTE loom.

Adam
12-05-08, 07:32 PM
About 6/7

novanum1
12-05-08, 08:39 PM
easy peasy then, Anyone knows which ones ie colour or what for??