PDA

View Full Version : hazard switch

General Baxter
11-05-08, 08:02 PM
if this is only an on/off switch, why does it have so many connections?
and is there anyway to fit a simple rocker switch?

Jack
11-05-08, 08:14 PM
No, the whole indicator loom goes thru it ;)

[edit] You could probably wire up a rocker switch, but it would require a fair bit of wiring, as you'd effectively need to delete the hazard switch (and in process rewire most of the indicator loom), then splice a new one onto the remainder of the loom.

General Baxter
11-05-08, 08:15 PM
how ghay, think ill have to make my own then lol

General Baxter
11-05-08, 08:19 PM
iv taken apart a mk1 switch, and looking at it, when you activate the switch, it connects, 30 and 31 together,

ill bridge them across with a switch inside the orginal switch, and see if it works lol

am i right in saying the mk1 dont have a little light in lol

Jack
11-05-08, 08:22 PM
Look in Haynes, but I don't think they do...

General Baxter
11-05-08, 08:22 PM
Look in Haynes,

dont have one, never needed one, i take things apart with hammers lol

General Baxter
11-05-08, 08:40 PM
red is permantly connected with the switch on or off, just slide
blue connects to pins then you pull the switch out

so im going to solder 2 wires to the blue line in the holder, push the swtich all the way in, so its all connected bar the blue one, then connect that to a switch, then glue it all together lol

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/switch1.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/switch2.jpg

staggy_gsi
11-05-08, 08:42 PM
i think its more than just an on off switch because when you turn it upside down the ignition comes on

General Baxter
11-05-08, 08:43 PM
not on a mk1

Jack
11-05-08, 08:48 PM
....because the Mk1 has pins in the wrong place.

Why are you doing this btw? If you're keeping the hazard switch, which I assume you are seen as you're modifying it, is there a point to it? lol

staggy_gsi
11-05-08, 08:50 PM
not on a mk1

oh yea!! lol

i even knew that, ive just got mk2's on the brain!!

General Baxter
11-05-08, 08:51 PM
becasue im having no dash, just a plate with switches, and dont want to codge a switch on the side

the orginal switch will be tucked up behind the plate

got the mk1 loom pluged into it

the switch when pulled out connects black to green/black and green/black/white

loggyboy
11-05-08, 09:04 PM
Its complicated because it has to disable the left right indicators, otherwise they would clash.

The only way to replace it with an on/off swith would be to use a combination of relays and or semiconductors.

General Baxter
11-05-08, 09:31 PM
Its complicated because it has to disable the left right indicators, otherwise they would clash.

The only way to replace it with an on/off swith would be to use a combination of relays and or semiconductors.

but wont that be removing the switch all together, looking at what razerjack just sent me,

when activating the switch all it does is joint a live to the turn stalk & flasher :thumb:

tom reid
12-05-08, 04:02 PM
Simple really.
Use two 3 pin relays, one for each indicator, wired to two switches, one for each indicator, then if you need hazard lights, enable both switches at the same time.
Iv'e done this a few times on rally cars, would advise using metal switches though.

Clean 2.0 nova
12-05-08, 10:31 PM
I've got rid of the hazard switch in mine. I used a relay or 2 with multiple poles to get round it all. At first there does look like a lot of wires but they all do something (obviously). You basically have a section the gives power to the flasher relay from either switched positive or permanent positive depending on if the switch is in or not. The other section joins / disconnects both sides of the cars indicators when required. You then have another switched part just for the internal bulb to be on / off / inbetween.

If your stuck and need a diagram to bypass it give me a shout.

Iain

General Baxter
12-05-08, 10:33 PM
If your stuck and need a diagram to bypass it give me a shout.

Iain

shout lol

nova258
13-05-08, 09:33 AM
you can work ezely with a combinations of relays and can make an ordanery switch

Stuart
13-05-08, 09:38 AM
you can use a DPST switch to do the job..

nova258
13-05-08, 09:42 AM
i dont think its work case ther are a lot of combinations in that switch

Stuart
13-05-08, 09:45 AM
erm no not really...... its two switches thrown by a common lever. All you need to do is read the wiring diagrams and it will become clear ;)

nova258
13-05-08, 10:08 AM
its ezey to make it but it have a switc over to fed the hazard lights too

Clean 2.0 nova
14-05-08, 11:30 PM
Here we go then, how to replace a hazard switch using relays (4 poles are required).
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x198/iaingra/hazardswwiring.jpg

An explanation of what is going on.

Scenarion 1, Ignition on only. A feed is sent to the 'flasher' relay and the switch bulb is lit up dimly. The output from the flasher is only used if the indicator switch is used (not shown on this diagram). The flasher relay can only be heard to click when it is driving current to indicator bulbs - spooky!

Scenarion 2, Hazard switch on. All poles switch over, this gives the feed to the flasher relay form the permanent supply (i.e so the ignition can be off). The flasher pulse is recieved and sent to A) LHS indicators B) RHS indicators and C) Hazard switch bulb via no resistor i.e. it lights up brighter than just when ignition is on.

You can save on one pole if you don't use a bulb on the hazard switch, but as I used a doctored switch out of a vectra I thought I may as well use the bulb.

That's seven wires which should be coloured the same as those to the original switch. job done.

General Baxter
17-05-08, 10:52 AM
just had ago, its reather easy if your keeping the orginal switch like im doing

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/hazard.gif

leave the orginal switch off and taped in place, took it up behind the dash somewhere,

put some twin core cable in between pin 9 and pin 49Q, volia, hazard switch on a simple rocker lol

MC
17-05-08, 11:08 AM
I did it on CP's car with a double pole, single throw toggle switch. The haynes manual diagram shows how the standard switch works and it effectively operates two circuits in one action. I'll put a guide up on Monday.

MC

Jack
17-05-08, 08:25 PM
just had ago, its reather easy if your keeping the orginal switch like im doing

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/hazard.gif

leave the orginal switch off and taped in place, took it up behind the dash somewhere,

put some twin core cable in between pin 9 and pin 49Q, volia, hazard switch on a simple rocker lol
That picture looks familiar lol

Clean 2.0 nova
17-05-08, 10:50 PM
I did it on CP's car with a double pole, single throw toggle switch. The haynes manual diagram shows how the standard switch works and it effectively operates two circuits in one action. I'll put a guide up on Monday.

MC

I can see this method could work if you supplied the hazard relay with a permanent feed and only switched the flashing signal coming back to the LHS indicators (pole 1) and RHS (pole 2).

If doing this I would confirm that the now permanent supply to the flashing unit wasn't taking too much current that could lead to a quicker flat battery. (Thus negating pole 4 on my earlier drawing). A seperate way is to feed the flasher unit from the switched (black) wire, hazard lights in this case can only work with the key in the ignition.

Pole 3 was just to produce the flashing lamp in the switch but again not really needed.

Just to be picky you suggest the haynes manual shows the switch works in a double pole manor, I would say otherwise. I assume you came to this conclusion because 3 of the 4 common's of the internal switches are linked, and hence you only see two commons (I know this may sound like double dutch to some).