PDA

View Full Version : door pins

michael squeak
11-05-08, 05:10 PM
hey people any one on here no of any tricks to get the door pins out?
ive been smashing and banging for hours
thanks
mike

Rexy
11-05-08, 05:18 PM
door pin removal tool :D

paul james
11-05-08, 05:27 PM
Door pin removal tools are crap, at least the ones from halfords are, I've wrecked two sets trying to remove doors. Infact I've still got a bit of it sitting in a door pin now.
Apparantly the bonnet strut is perfect for using, if your taking off totally rotten doors, personally I'd just cut the damn things off with an angle grinder.

twistysnovagte
11-05-08, 06:26 PM
Door pin removal tools are crap, if your taking off totally rotten doors, personally I'd just cut the damn things off with an angle grinder.:confused: then you still have to take the pins out once youve cut the doors off!there are different removel tools for different hinges on cars. the correct tool which is around a tenner on ebay, halfrauds,etc.will do the job no problems.

dan23
11-05-08, 06:34 PM
use a screw driver with a lentgh of bonnet welded to it
otr maybe just a lentgh of bonnet stay

carlos24
11-05-08, 08:51 PM
Just removed one this weekend using a door pin removal tool (draper) same as at halfords but cheaper elsewhere (£15).

Top pin not an issue, but bottom one you have to use the tool upside down due to the curve of the bottom of the door. As I had the door trim off I used the tool through the wiring loom hole whilst someone else held it tight then used a long socket and hammer hitting upwards to push the pin out. The pin was rusty so would advise soaking it in WD40 before hand. Hope this helps.

BIGS
11-05-08, 09:01 PM
tbh the best way i find is to use a flathead and hit it with a good size hammer. make sure you hit right on the edge of the pin untill you can start to see if come out the bottom. once you have done that use a long nose pliers between the gap ( get a good firm grip ) and use the sid eof the pliers on smack down with the hammer. But once you have one pin out you might want to get a jack to jack the door up abit as there will be abit of weight on that one pin and may be tight. oh and it may help to spray some wd40 or gt35

CP
11-05-08, 09:44 PM
main thing is to get whatever punch arrangement you use long enough ie 8- 10 inches and with sufficient bend along its length to allow you to get it in and onto the pin

CP
11-05-08, 09:45 PM
oh yes and dont just tap it - get a decent weighted hammer and hit it hard. Have rag around the area to protect the door etc

Dod
11-05-08, 10:49 PM
Has anyone got a picture of the above mentioned tools?

Ernie
11-05-08, 10:58 PM
If you have a spare bonnet stay (from a nova) and cut it down they work a treat for knocking the pins through.

Matt GTE
11-05-08, 11:17 PM
As has been said, cut down bonnet stay and big hammer ftw. Doesn't hurt to give the hinges/pins a liberal dose of WD40 before you start either.

michael squeak
12-05-08, 10:11 PM
thanks guys i have been to halfrauds today they didnt have one. what do you mean cut the bonnet down is there a certain piece to use? i have a spare dented 1

Dod
12-05-08, 10:29 PM
The Bonnet stay, the bar at the front to hold the Bonnet open. Use it.

twistysnovagte
19-08-09, 12:41 PM
first off hope this isnt a issue of bumping threads!,ive used the search and came across this thread therefore ill post on here to save starting new threads etc etc. soon i will be replacing pins,but first of i will be Removing a door.
now i dont have a removel tool,therefore im going to follow what has been said(bigs/chris(ernie) in the earlier comments!,but if im to fail which i dont like to say because once im onto something i plan to get it done.
BUT like i say if im struggling is it a option to then get the drill out and drill the pins out?
ifso and theres no issues could someone please give me the right size dimensions/diameter's of the pin,so im wont damage the hinge itself?

andy

GRUNT 16V
19-08-09, 01:05 PM
http://www.diseno-art.com/images_3/door_pin_removal_tool.jpg
THIS IS THE SAID TOOL (THE BASIC ONE )
YOU CAN GET AIR FED ITEMS TOO

twistysnovagte
19-08-09, 01:30 PM
THIS IS THE SAID TOOL (THE BASIC ONE )
YOU CAN GET AIR FED ITEMS TOO
i dont have this tool mate, that is why i ask the above!?

Southie
19-08-09, 01:32 PM
If your wanting to maybe buy one once you have the right size, then here is a LINKYPOOS (http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Door-Hinge-Pin-Tool-Heavy-Duty-Sealey-VS803) :d

L14MNP
19-08-09, 01:35 PM
That Draper tool was useless for my Nova. Bonnet stay FTW.

michael squeak
19-08-09, 03:33 PM
in the end i used a long 6mm iirc drill bit and hit them thru. then bent it anp pulled it out. tap it straight and so on

twistysnovagte
19-08-09, 04:25 PM
NBC ive seen a few of these hinge removel tools,but im gonna take option 2 and use the methods mentioned other than the hinge remover,thanks anyway mate.
right so are we saying cut a straight section out of the bonnet stay and punch it through with that(im asuming its the same diameter as the pin?
(that simple!?)?
im gonna have a go at this tommorow so just wieghing up my options.
tools i should be taking with me?
wd40
flat head screwdriver
lump hammer/clawhammer
junior hacksaw(for any possible cutting,cutting a peice of bonnet stay)
mold grips/long nose pliers
drill(for possibly drilling the pins out!)size?

mowgli
19-08-09, 08:20 PM
oddly enough, i bought a laser tools one like the piccy and have had no problems whatsoever... maybe i'm lucky

twistysnovagte
20-08-09, 02:26 PM
If you have a spare bonnet stay (from a nova) and cut it down they work a treat for knocking the pins through.worked a treat thank you very much:d ,cut it of the nova i was getting the door from:d took the bottom one off first(knocked upwards) 5 mins(put a nut and bolt in it just to hold it in place,
then the top one(knocked downwards) which was slightly more awkward as i had to prop the door up on ten tyres:) 10 mins.
all in all around 25-30mins i had the door off,nice one for the improvisations:thumb:
who needs removal toolslol

Guderian
20-08-09, 05:11 PM
That's a sykes pickavant one isn't it? I had no problems doing astra and cav doors with it; is the nova more tricky for access..? Wouldn't have thought so... Need a 3 or 4 pound hammer for this.....light taps with a big hammer are always less fraught than belting away with a 12 oz hammer and smashing your knuckles in.

Christ if you think vauxhall roll pins are bad try getting late model fiesta SOLID pins out. They are evil! Even the special tool has been known to snap the pin at it's flange!

twistysnovagte
20-08-09, 09:44 PM
1,wd40(good spray all round the pins top and bottom)
2,piece of bonnet stay(hacksaw to cut it down to size) as mentioned around 6"long
3,A claw hammer(as the lump hammer was to bulky)in the gap available)

Andthat was it the only awkward part i had was holding/balancing the door on a stack of tyres,getting the pins out was pretty straight forward,didnt even break a sweat lol
just to think the last lot of doors i took off i burnt off with the burning tackle:roll:

jimbob-mcgrew
20-08-09, 11:33 PM
a suitable size allen key and a hammer has always done the trick for me. holding the long end, and using the short end as a punch with the hammer to break the seal, then spin the allen key lengthways to push the pin all the way thru. removed the doors from 3 nova's this way. never had decent results with proper punches.

G-nova
21-08-09, 01:56 AM
i have just taken 2 doors of at scrappy and the 2 off my car using this tool -
I took wing off and kept door closed had alot more room for a better swing with hammer plus you dont need anybody to hold the door untill you come to puttin one back on. I soaked them in WD40 for about 5 min and found the top ones really easy a few big hits and it pooped out. The bottom ones you dont have as much room to swing hammer also you are hitting upward this also is not so good - thus making bottoms harder, i was on about 10 mins with one of the bottom pins. Warning wrap tool with teatowel as it knacks hands days after, mine feel brused on my palms just below thum and it hurts when i clench my fist. This by far the best way as it dosent damage anything.

twistysnovagte
21-08-09, 11:17 AM
i have just taken 2 doors of at scrappy and the 2 off my car using this tool -
I took wing off and kept door closed had alot more room for a better swing with hammer plus you dont need anybody to hold the door untill you come to puttin one back on. I soaked them in WD40 for about 5 min and found the top ones really easy a few big hits and it pooped out. The bottom ones you dont have as much room to swing hammer also you are hitting upward this also is not so good - thus making bottoms harder, i was on about 10 mins with one of the bottom pins. Warning wrap tool with teatowel as it knacks hands days after, mine feel brused on my palms just below thum and it hurts when i clench my fist. This by far the best way as it dosent damage anything.
you realy dont need them tools, the bonnet stay is around 1mm smaller than the pins themselves,plus it cost you nothing!
plus you realy dont need to "swing"the hammer!(just a few taps see them out)
why wrap the tool in cloth/teatowellol your only tapping the(my way)the bonnet stay around 10 times,so shouldnt be damaging your hand for whatever reason!
i would definatly say this isnt one of the better way(sorry to put your fire out mate)
the way i mentioned,you just cant go wrong so so simple,plus you dont damage anything and all labour/tools are free:thumb:

G-nova
21-08-09, 11:36 AM
if i end up having to do it again i will be giving your method a go thanks for the info