PDA

View Full Version : Back to Bare Metal... What did you do next?

ck
11-05-08, 03:36 PM
Right then when i start restoring my nova im going to be going over every seam, taking all the sealer off back to the bare metal.I want to do this to make sure i get rid of every single bit of rust and to hopefully seal it all back up better than factory.

The order i think i would do it in would be like this.

once striped back to bare metal and all rust has been removed.
1. a coat or two of acid etch primer
2. seam sealant liberaly coating each seam
3. several coats of your basic grey primer
4. quick coat of paint to seal the primer up
5. thick coating of stonechip/underseal
6. final coats of body colour paint.

Thats the way im thinking of doing the whole under side, and then the inside & engine bay would be the same just without the stonechip/underseal.

does anyone have any ideas or comments on how should do this, and also what products would you recomend for each stage?

no doubt im sure this would help other people out as and when they restore or make repairs to their own cars..

cheers chris

simonr1
11-05-08, 04:09 PM
no need for number 4 on your list mate

Lee
11-05-08, 04:23 PM
no need for number 4 on your list mate

There is unless you use red oxide primer :thumb: Normal primer is pourus and will let moisture in if theres a long gap between prime and paint.

Adam
11-05-08, 05:43 PM
As above/\

Primer is really just to stop rust/prepare the surface so it will take paint.

simonr1
11-05-08, 09:09 PM
umm its not for stopping rust chap!

meritlover
12-05-08, 09:11 AM
no, but its hygroscopic so it draws the moisture into the primer, then if you leave it too long you seal it in with the paint and it leads to blisters and pop marks after a while in the sun.

dont do underseals until the paints are finished, any oily waxy mist on the bodywork will cause havoc when it comes to painting over the top. stone chip is ok tho.

craig green
12-05-08, 09:56 AM
Most has been covered. If you feel minted, you could always have the shell acid bathed & then E-cotaed as per Keiths build.

When I had mine seam welded back in 2002 I used red oxide brush on primer followed by UPOL seam sealer. All those welds & seams are still fresh & showing no signs of (further rot). Quite pleased about that.

Dod
12-05-08, 10:20 AM
I was told that the car's paint would react to the Red Oxide?

Its pretty tough stuff, all my RSJ's in my garage were done with this, its like a rubber paint. Top stuff though.

Stuart
12-05-08, 10:25 AM
have a look on the bilt hamber website for their restoration pretction products.

Adam
12-05-08, 05:08 PM
umm its not for stopping rust chap!
Painting primer onto bare metal will stop rust :confused:

draper
12-05-08, 06:13 PM
im going with red oxide when i do mine

benthehash
15-05-08, 09:09 AM
i used seam sealer and hammeright is that bad idea for a road car as this is what my mate uses on his ralley car?

mikey14sr
15-05-08, 06:22 PM
i used seam sealer and hammeright is that bad idea for a road car as this is what my mate uses on his ralley car?

Thats fine for underneath the car, but not if you want to spray on top of it, as the thinners in most car paints cause the hammerite to bubble and blister.