PDA

View Full Version : Emptying fuel tank

Nova_Tek
10-05-08, 06:44 PM
When I have the time I will be dropping the fuel tank to firstly clean the thing and the surrounding floor, secondly replace the breather hose and other pipes and thirdly maybe see what the problam is with the sender and fix it if possible. So theres a few jobs that need to be done.

What it the best way to empty the tank? Rather not drive around till it runs out coz even when my guage is reading zero theres still alot of fuel in there I'd say at least 7 litres, plus its a right hassle.

Ideas? :thumb:

General Baxter
10-05-08, 06:45 PM
injection or carb?

Nova_Tek
10-05-08, 06:47 PM
Carb-ohydrate (sorry :D )

Stuart
10-05-08, 07:10 PM
screwdriver through the bottom :D

on a serious note... get it as low as possible then jack the car up from the beam.. take off the rubber hose for carb supply line and drain.

MK999
10-05-08, 07:26 PM
or do it the chavtastic way with a hosepipe in the tank and suck on it til it starts flowing into another car? tasty :D

simon1
10-05-08, 07:39 PM
or buy a proper hand pump from a motor factors that will do the same job and mean you dont get a mouthfull of petrol

~~joycey~~
10-05-08, 07:42 PM
if you take the fuel pipe off the carb under the bonnet (after the pump and where it joins the carb) then find a way of makeing sure the free end is in a jerry can or wotever, and then turn the engine over and it will pump the fuel through pretty fast but just make sure you have a boaster pack or something on it otherwise the battery will die :)

General Baxter
10-05-08, 07:50 PM
and then turn the engine over and it will pump the fuel through pretty fast but just make sure you have a boaster pack or something on it otherwise the battery will die :)

good idea, fuel vapour and sparks :thumb:

Nova_Tek
10-05-08, 07:57 PM
why couldnt they put a drain plug on the tanks?

Well I mite be changing the rubber hose that connects the fuel filler pipe to the tank, so in theory if I cut a hole into that rubber hose, put a jerry can under it and tilt the car to its side via a jack and empty it that way, Or will the anti syphon ball thingy stop that?

I dont really wanna turn the engine over and drain it that way coz Im using my bro's battery on my car for now and he'll beat me up.

Stuarts idea or speding some dough on simon1's pump method might be the other way.

Nova's are so easy to work on mechaniclaly but certain things weren't thought through :)

Lee
10-05-08, 09:04 PM
if you take the fuel pipe off the carb under the bonnet (after the pump and where it joins the carb) then find a way of makeing sure the free end is in a jerry can or wotever, and then turn the engine over and it will pump the fuel through pretty fast but just make sure you have a boaster pack or something on it otherwise the battery will die :)

LMFAO. Delco starter motors V mucho cranking = FAIL + lots of burning goodness lol

I also agree, using a pump is the best bet :)

Nova_Tek
11-05-08, 09:07 PM
So my idea won't work then?

Suppose its off to look for a hand pump.

Nova_Tek
11-05-08, 09:13 PM
found one and a bargain too

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEALEY-TP95-Air-Operated-Fuel-Tank-Drainer-with-Mobile_W0QQitemZ180217900840QQihZ008QQcategoryZ633 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp16 38Q2em118Q2el1247

General Baxter
11-05-08, 09:14 PM
the the pipe off the carb, take the fuel pump off, 2x 12mm bolts, then just push the bar in and out, about 500times lol

Nova_Tek
11-05-08, 09:15 PM
lol sounds like an easy task

Nova_Tek
11-05-08, 09:17 PM
might just have to drive till I cant hear any fuel in the tank, a good few miles when the dial hits empty. Take her home and do what you just mentioned come to think of it.

Dont really wanna spend any money on equipment I will only use once.

Infact I've got an old pump so I could just use that rather then take off my current one.

Maybe long but its the cheaper option :D :thumb:

General Baxter
11-05-08, 09:20 PM
put it up on stands and rev the nuts off it, in gear, just for the fun factor lol

Nova_Tek
11-05-08, 09:25 PM
put it up on stands and rev the nuts off it, in gear, just for the fun factor lol

Yeh but that means im burning the fuel, would prefer to be able to re-use it, every little helps remember ;)

Dod
12-05-08, 09:35 AM
Yeh but that means im burning the fuel, would prefer to be able to re-use it, every little helps remember ;)

But you're looking at a £580 fuel Sucker on Ebay??

Get a spare Water Jet Pump (for the windsrcreen wipers), it a piece of pipe to the bottom of it, feed the pipe into the tank through the filler (this may need to be held open if its a late spec Nova with the Green Filler Protector in it) connect it to a Car Battrey and have a small length of outlet hose and a Jerry Can. Sounds stupid but works very well and very fast.

Mike
12-05-08, 09:54 AM
God you lot love making work for yourself's!!!

Get yourself a inj fuel pump from a srappers (£10) and a car battery + lenght of wire.

Disconnet the fuel pipe TO the carb, route it to the inj pump, a bit of pipe from the 12v to a jerry can etc and connect the pump to the battery. Sit back, relax and smoke a fag lol 10mins later your tank will be empty.

meritlover
12-05-08, 09:56 AM
Mr Dod, the windscreen washer pump will melt with the fuel!

if you jack the car up at the back and disconnect the plastic pipe from the fuel pump suctin side, remove the clips from the bulkhead and stick it into a can on the ground and it syphons out. the other way is to remove the RETURN from the carb, extend it out with another piece of pipe, stick that in a can and let it tick over, it soon empties the tank, and uses very little fuel in the process.

Dod
12-05-08, 10:16 AM
To be honest Meritlover, I've used this method many times and emptied full tanks a few times with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

meritlover
12-05-08, 12:14 PM
Dod iam suprised by a large amount! but if it works fine for you then great. ive used washer hose as a temp fuel line before on grandfathers scooter, and after a while the plastic goes brittle and bad. it is all well that ends well.

Dod
12-05-08, 12:20 PM
Was the scooter run on High Octane Rocket Fuel? I really want one of those. LOL

meritlover
12-05-08, 12:39 PM
no it was just unleaded pump gas. single carb 2 stroke.

Nova_Tek
12-05-08, 07:59 PM
I've made up my mind, gonna use as much fuel as poss and use my old mechanical fuel pump connected the the fuel line and manually pump whats left out.

Not gonna bother running around breakers finding a old electric pump etc, no point buying more shizzay just to use once, yeh it might take 30 mins of pumping to finish it but oh well just means one hand will be massive and the other Jeremy Beadle lol

You've given me plenty of ideas anyway

Thanks Muchly :thumb:

meritlover
13-05-08, 12:38 PM
:wtf:

Dod
13-05-08, 01:11 PM
Ugh, todays youth!

~~joycey~~
14-05-08, 05:22 PM
LMFAO. Delco starter motors V mucho cranking = FAIL + lots of burning goodness lol

I also agree, using a pump is the best bet :)

its worked ok for me in the past :roll: