PDA

View Full Version : Won't Stop Running!

MC
09-05-08, 11:40 PM
Hi,

I got the 1.6 16v on TB's running tonight, but couldn't stop it.

I'm using DTA, as far as I,m aware wired correctly.

The engine continued to run after I had turned the ignition off and after I pulled the battery earth lead off! Any ideas?

MC

Lee
09-05-08, 11:58 PM
sounds like the ecu is not on a switched live mark, best way to test is to try to connect the ecu to your laptop with ignition off. If it connects you've connected it to a constant live. You need to pick up a black wire from the fusebox :)

MC
10-05-08, 12:06 AM
Thought the same thing, but.. The fuel pump primes when the ign is turned and stops if i turn the ign off...and should it still go when the battery earth lead is off? Not sure how long it would have continued for coz I pulled the injector leads off.

I will investigate more on Monday when I have more time, but it's bugging me now.

Lee
10-05-08, 12:11 AM
with no power to the ecu, the engine will stop, so it must be getting a feed from somewhere lol might be an ignition fault?. When you disconnect the batt it will happily run off the alt :)

MC
10-05-08, 12:16 AM
It's gonna be a long weekend!

Stuart
10-05-08, 08:27 AM
Has Dicko been wiring your car for you? lol

Sounds like the ign relay isnt deactivating properly. Start there :)

meritlover
10-05-08, 11:12 AM
has the DTA got a turbo timer input that may be enabled?
failing that, its a wrong switched feed as previously mentioned

Adam
10-05-08, 01:07 PM
Can be caused by a dodgy alt too sometimes.

meritlover
10-05-08, 03:12 PM
just because mr car runs with his batter disconnected doesnt mean the alternators u/s.
when the coils are excited and its charging, disconnecting the battery will mean the charging circuit is effectively exciting its own windings through the voltage regulator and continuing to supply the loom with 14.5v to keep mr engine running. You shouldnt do this for long though, as the diodes can keep trying to step up the voltage to make up for the drop with the large current suddenly placed on the charging circuit after the battery is removed from the party and soon burn out.

check your swiched lives.

MC
12-05-08, 07:24 PM
Was a sticking relay! Was running too much current throught the master relay.

All sorted now.

Cheers all.