PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Leak

muzzy
09-05-08, 11:24 AM
My nova has a fuel leak from the pipe that comes out from the sender under the rear bench. i dont want to have to drop the tank (unless i really have to) so can anyone tell me where this pipe goes as i cant see from under the car.

Cheers

Iain
09-05-08, 11:49 AM
What is the tank from? Carb, SPI or MPI?

muzzy
09-05-08, 11:52 AM
1.2 spi

Iain
09-05-08, 11:55 AM
Under the rear bench is the fuel pump, accessible by removing the plastic plug thing. The pipe goes from the pump, down the front of the tank and underneath the car and runs next to the return pipe.

muzzy
09-05-08, 12:00 PM
cheers will go for a scan now

Dod
09-05-08, 12:02 PM
These always leak at the fuel pump, chances are you may have to remove the tank to repair it. 2x 13mm Nuts and thats it. You'll need a jack and axle stands though. Preplace the complete rubber section, fuel line is cheap, iirc a few pence per meter.

chimp007_uk
09-05-08, 12:16 PM
I was driving the Manta around at uni last year, filled the tank up and drove home, (15-20mins) got back and the car stunk of fuel... Look down the road and there was a line of petrol... :( you could follow it all the way to the petrol station lol they have rigid pipes with a small section of hose under the driver's seat. it had split and emptied the contents...

I ended up with fuel burns trying to repair that, it was a windy day :(

Dod
09-05-08, 12:27 PM
Whats a fuel burn?

chimp007_uk
09-05-08, 12:30 PM
i got fuel all over my arms and hands, it was flooding out... and as it evaporates quickly and witht eh wind my arms felt like they were burning. i had massive red patches like burns up my arms for days... very unpleasant.

"Fuel burn" is just what i called it. i dont normal react to fuel.

muzzy
09-05-08, 12:33 PM
on closer inspection i will have to drop the tank to do it, best part is that both the bolts are seized and rounding

i love nova's :roll:

Dod
09-05-08, 12:45 PM
Heat the bolts and cover them with WD40. They should loosen ok, but if you're still concerened, give them a run with a wire brush first, they cover them with wd40 and slacken them SLOWLY. If they break, cut the bolt flush with the body, try and drill through where it sits, add a new bolt and washer. Should do the trick.