PDA

View Full Version : new rear arches?

jon_boy
04-09-02, 06:58 PM
is there any way to replace the rear arches cos mine are a bit rusty and could be cheaper to replace than keep repairing. cheers, jon

carltoncrazy
04-09-02, 07:53 PM
it can be quite expensive to do,
can u take pixs and post em on here so we can all have alook b4 we make staments?
also make sure ya boots solid,and the sills

Ben (lurk75)
04-09-02, 11:01 PM
replacement arches are cheap as sh*t the art is fitting the boys and making them look good!

Are you going to be carrying out any other bodywork? as this would be the time to do it as they can fit em at the same time :!:

jon_boy
05-09-02, 11:17 AM
cant get hold of a digi camera at the mo so no piccy's. its not too bad but if i get the car sprayed or summin is the rust gonna keep coming back? might just get some super hardcore rally slag wide arch kit. then just hav to work on the engine......hhmmmmm, how much are the wide arch kits and how much to fit em as well? cheers

Ben (lurk75)
05-09-02, 06:11 PM
magnum motorsport's wide arch kit is ?400, and will cost more to fit as needs a bit more tarting around, ask brian about the pro tec kit as his was a bast*rd to fit :!:

Chris LR
07-09-02, 01:38 PM
I've got a brand new O/S rear wheel arch, ?10

sparky
08-09-02, 08:18 PM
My mate and I did my arches on my GSI but he's good at welding but that's all it comes down to. make sure you grind all the rust off and put rust treater on it afterwards, before you weld the new arhes on.

Rich Dale
08-09-02, 10:56 PM
I did both rear arches on one of my previous Novas......the prep work and welding doesn't take that long but the smoothing/filling after can take ages to get right.

It was worth the effort though as the car was transformed....then I went and sold it and got a GTE with knackered body work...doh!

CP
09-09-02, 03:24 PM
You may want to consider replacing the rear quarters rather than just the arches. I was advised that the reasons for that are:
1. If you look a the inside of a wing or wotever thats got just a bit of rust showing on the outside in a few places you'll be amazed to find how much of it will be covered in the stuff. This provides a ready source of re-infection no matter how good your welding/filling is.
2. The cut/weld points can be done neatly into the door and rear pillars greatly reducing the amount of weld warp and re-finishing work required.
3. They are not that much more expensive and probably overall cheaper cos you will save on consumables and time.

In short you will get a better looking result, easier for probably less money and with virtually no prospect of rust re-emerging in the forseeable future. Its how the professional bodyshops generally do it