PDA

View Full Version : Am i doing this right, help :) paint/preparing

NatJK
08-05-08, 10:24 AM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk79/NatK89/Image008-1.jpg

sun is shining, it's my day off so thought i would start some work preparing my donor wings for respray. My first time in doing so, so ami doing thisrightoram i ruining it and should stop????
Wiped clean with panel wipe and am now rubbing the paint surface off???

craig green
08-05-08, 10:28 AM
Panel wipe after rubbing....... doesnt hurt before hand though.

The final finish is all about the rubbing back or flatting.

Btw. Top tip. Dont use Halfords aerosol paints.... They are toss!

chimp007_uk
08-05-08, 10:30 AM
Btw. Top tip. Dont use Halfords aerosol paints.... They are toss!

If craig could offer one piece of advise for the future...

Flatten it back and make sure there's no blemishes in the surface.

NatJK
08-05-08, 10:31 AM
no halfords at all lol.
well i'm sort of doing it right then? woop!
can get back to it now!
Thank you :D

chimp007_uk
08-05-08, 10:33 AM
I wish i had a day off to work on my car... :( So much to do, so little time...

Dod
08-05-08, 10:35 AM
What you want is to have the panels as flat and smooth as you can, if you have dents or deep scratches, fill them and sand them down til they're perfectly smooth. Apply a few coats of primer, then sand with wet and dry. Let the lot dry, give it a wipe round and you're ready to paint.

NatJK
08-05-08, 10:40 AM
I wish i had a day off to work on my car... :( So much to do, so little time...
well ive got like a couple fo spare hours today for the first time before i have to trek it down to st albans.
lol so much to do yet your sitting at a computer on the internet??!!

NatJK
08-05-08, 10:42 AM
What you want is to have the panels as flat and smooth as you can, if you have dents or deep scratches, fill them and sand them down til they're perfectly smooth. Apply a few coats of primer, then sand with wet and dry. Let the lot dry, give it a wipe round and you're ready to paint.

got all that sorted, got panel wipe, primer, thinners and wet n dry. had to get some help buying it, didnt have a clue what i was doing! first things i brought payday :D
i shall take pictures and ask for more help i'm sure lol

chimp007_uk
08-05-08, 10:54 AM
Trek it to St. Albans...?!? My neck of the woods. What you goign there for?

NatJK
08-05-08, 10:57 AM
Trek it to St. Albans...?!? My neck of the woods. What you goign there for?

Used to go school/6th form there, so visiting a friend. My neck of the woods!

craig green
08-05-08, 11:16 AM
Back on topic.... Halfords primers seem OK to me, but I never get good results with colour matched paints.

When its ready for paint (ie primed) put a rough/light splattered coat of black over it. This is called a guide coat. If you rub it back again, any black spots left will highlight the low areas that any sanding of filler has left, showing you where further filler is needed.

What colour is it going to be?

NatJK
08-05-08, 11:26 AM
Its going to be white.
All the bits i've got are from an actual paint place. So i'm guessing they should be good, reccomended to me so i'm hoping :D

Dod
08-05-08, 11:48 AM
[quote=craig green] I never get good results with colour matched paints./quote]

Agreed. I got an aerosol tin to spray 2 Cav mirrors and the colour match on the Tin was A1, but when painted it miles away.

MK999
08-05-08, 02:16 PM
Last time I asked halfords to mix up paint they found the 72L (I think) paint code to be a burgundy colour called flame red, useless lol

Jack
08-05-08, 02:51 PM
Last time I asked halfords to mix up paint they found the 72L (I think) paint code to be a burgundy colour called flame red, useless lol
72L is Satin/Baccara/Marseille red, which is indeed a burgundy red colour.

MK999
08-05-08, 03:31 PM
ahhh it'd be 79L just looked it up, we did get their own flame red rattle can for the paint code and another paint shop looked it up and mixed it correctly. Just couldn't remember the paint code off the top of my head lol The guy in halfords also assured us that it was definitely flame red while looking at a paint pot full of burgundy :roll:

Martin
08-05-08, 03:36 PM
Mehh theres nothing wrong with halford paint matching..

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/Martain_novalicious/DSC01403.jpg

LMFAO..

craig green
08-05-08, 04:02 PM
Halfords flame Red is the pure reason I think there match is poor. I've never had an acceptable match or finish in all the years I've tried.

I find the primers fine. The spray nozzles are a gamble too. The other day a new one was spitting, chucked another used one on & it went on far nicer.

L33 LEG
08-05-08, 04:07 PM
i've found glacier white from halfords is a spot on match.

craig green
08-05-08, 04:08 PM
Well I never! They can get summat right.

Martin
08-05-08, 04:10 PM
Halfords flame Red is the pure reason I think there match is poor. I've never had an acceptable match or finish in all the years I've tried.

I find the primers fine. The spray nozzles are a gamble too. The other day a new one was spitting, chucked another used one on & it went on far nicer.
this wing i did on that side was nearly right but stil abit light... and then a tin from the same batch(i got them on the same day just didnt use 1 for a week or so) and it was that dark WTF lol

L33 LEG
08-05-08, 04:13 PM
well i only sprayed a grill lol

il find out how good they are when i spray the whole car :tard:

Jack
08-05-08, 05:00 PM
Bear in mind Nova paint will be 15 years old at best. Its going to be quite faded, especially the reds which have a habit of fading very badly.

Matched up to factory fresh paint, its probably a spot on match, but up against paint thats been subjected to 15 years of rain, sun, wind, dust, bird poo etc its going to appear different.

Martin
10-05-08, 08:58 AM
Bear in mind Nova paint will be 15 years old at best. Its going to be quite faded, especially the reds which have a habit of fading very badly.

Matched up to factory fresh paint, its probably a spot on match, but up against paint thats been subjected to 15 years of rain, sun, wind, dust, bird poo etc its going to appear different.

jack was that a reply to the pic i posted up? surely it cant be.. flame red from the factory cantof been that dark?

Jack
10-05-08, 09:05 PM
That does look a bit more like Mexico red in that pic, but its quite hard to tell without seeing it in person