PDA

View Full Version : Sr Bumber and grill bit,original colour info?

NatJK
08-05-08, 07:43 AM
Right, looking at some other pics of sr's i can't decide something. Should the back bumper and front bumper be dark grey and the grill bit be black? My back bumper is looking a bit ming, sort of faded light grey ish. Is there a way to darken it up, or is that how it should be????

Jack
08-05-08, 08:05 AM
They should all be the same shade of grey (the outside edge of the grille should be grey, the inner slats should be black). Try some bumper cleaners/colourants like Simoniz.

Nova_Tek
08-05-08, 08:19 PM
Or get a heat gun and carefully go over the bumper, this will restore the bumpers original grey colour without any chemicals. You can then just use bumper products to get an even better finish on it.

Or paint it your desired colour

NatJK
08-05-08, 08:22 PM
what do you actually do with the heat gun? Knowing me i'll probably set my car on fire somehow, doesn't seem such a wise idea :)

Nova_Tek
08-05-08, 08:27 PM
Well I have never done it, wish I actually knew about the process before I painted my bumpers but a few people have given it a go on here and there are some pictures aswell.

It involves using the heat gun to heat up the bumper which will make it release the new layer of fresh oily goodness unerneath the faded layer, in essence make it look like its a new bumper.

But yeah, as you mentioned you must be careful not to melt it lol

I will try find the pics if I can.

white2lSR
08-05-08, 11:56 PM
smooth peanut butter. cheaper than bumper care products and the natural oils in it tend to last longer.

try it;)

Dod
09-05-08, 10:45 AM
Riiight.

Heat the bumper from a distance of approx 30cm. Heat it gently and slowly and be careful not to melt or burn the bumpers. After you have that done, get some Turtlewax Bumper Gel, comes in a black container. Plaster the bumpers with it, give it a quick wipe round and thats you sorted for weeks.

NatJK
09-05-08, 07:02 PM
smooth peanut butter. cheaper than bumper care products and the natural oils in it tend to last longer.

try it;)

I don'tlike peanut butter, i'd probably end up gagging and being sick!! lol, might still give it a try. Bit worried bout using a heat gun, i can see it all ended wrongly! :cry:

Lynsey
09-05-08, 08:41 PM
I heat gunned mine. The back one came out great but the front one didn't :( but I have the all-in-one bumper/ grille so the slats were hard to get into.

NatJK
09-05-08, 09:35 PM
have you got any pics?? give me a better idea of what i might possibly be doing?