PDA

View Full Version : altering the camber

Ben (lurk75)
04-09-02, 06:09 PM
right as some of you know i am bashing round in a 1.2 til my GSi is back up and running....

this afternoon my neighbour nocked on the door and asked if i knew that my front tyres were down to the metal?
Oh sh*t went out and the inside half of the tyres are non exsistent, the guy i bought it off lowered it cheaply by 60mm (springs only). I take it that this has pushed my camber way out and this is why my tyres look like duncan goodhew.

How can i reset my camber to accept the new ride height, im not after comfort or quality i just need to stop shredding tyres as am off on holiday very soon!

cheers Ben

brian
04-09-02, 07:02 PM
pressuming nothin is bent, take out each shock and slot the holes that the strut bolts into. when you bolt everything back in and are tightnin these 2 bolts pull the strut towards you and you will loose the camber. you will have to get straight to a garage to get trackin etc done but it works perfectly. also if the car is very low don't loose too much of the camber in case the wheels scrub the inside of the wings :wink:

Ben (lurk75)
04-09-02, 10:57 PM
ahh sod it sounds to difficult for me! i will stick some cheap runners on and just take it easy as afterall only a few weeks left to go now!

Aragorn
04-09-02, 11:14 PM
u finally getting the ecotec online?

how'd u manage it?

Ben (lurk75)
04-09-02, 11:29 PM
lol no not yet, this is on the shed that im driving round at the moment, looks like a bit of progress with the other one... see the topic FAO dicko in the general chat for details.

i took some pics of it yesterday will post them tommorow so you can see what its looking like :!:

Anonymous
06-09-02, 09:11 AM
slotting the holes as described will take you bugger all time, you dont even have to take the shock off the car.

Saying that, providing the tracking is right unless you camber is a long way out the increase in wear shouldnt be hug if its got a bit of neg anyway.

Chip

Dicko
06-09-02, 09:21 AM
do it m8, took me 45 mins with a dremel.

mines lowered around 50mm, and i moved it 7mm out, then went to get tracking done and it felt much better, steering was more responsive and car pulled better.

i measured out the 7mm with a tape rul and put a small line using a sharp screwdriver, then put 1 line each side of the current holes to this line so i knew where to cut out, ill take a pic of it if u like.