PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Velos?

dave_bates
06-05-08, 09:39 PM
I can remember a few years back i used to spend hours on the velos website deciding what i was going to spend thousands on ( could never afford it though!lol) and had a Mk3 astra at the time that i blew up anyway!

Still see their name popping up in peoples spec sheets now and again. and i remember total vauxhall once doing a 2 page spread on their 16xe inlet.

Anybody know what happened to them?

Lee
06-05-08, 09:41 PM
Chris T had one of the last Velos XE heads on his engine, which is now sat under my bonnet :) W00t

Stuart
06-05-08, 09:47 PM
iirc they got bored and retired....

CP
06-05-08, 09:49 PM
The 2 blokes who ran it, Alan & Rob, went their different ways and the business was wound up. I think it was a mutual split to do with business mainly. One of the big problems was they couldn't really utilise their rolling road properly cos of noise restrictions. The last I heard Rob got involved with building himself a house and Alan, who had been spending increasing amounts of time at his cottage in the Shetlands(? I think) moved up there more or less full time. Dan might know more than me.

It was a pity cos they were sound blokes and always very keen to help. They were a couple of boffins at heart and whilst they knew their stuff I never really felt they were much into the cut and thrust of being in business. Building and tuning engines that go well is 1 thing, making a successful business at it is entirely a different thing.

dave_bates
06-05-08, 10:03 PM
The 2 blokes who ran it, Alan & Rob, went their different ways and the business was wound up. I think it was a mutual split to do with business mainly. One of the big problems was they couldn't really utilise their rolling road properly cos of noise restrictions. The last I heard Rob got involved with building himself a house and Alan, who had been spending increasing amounts of time at his cottage in the Shetlands(? I think) moved up there more or less full time. Dan might know more than me.

It was a pity cos they were sound blokes and always very keen to help. They were a couple of boffins at heart and whilst they knew their stuff I never really felt they were much into the cut and thrust of being in business. Building and tuning engines that go well is 1 thing, making a successful business at it is entirely a different thing.
Couldnt have asked for a better answer:thumb: Pity though!