PDA

View Full Version : MOT - VIN plate

Andrew V
03-09-02, 11:57 PM
right long story but basically today my car failed it's MOT because it didn't have a vin plate. I was a little annoyed but to be honest I thought there were worse things it could fail because of.

When I was told about the problem I thought oh well I'll go down to vaux and get another made up.....no such luck :twisted:

I turn up and ask to order another and it turns out that I need to

1. Report the vin plate missing to the police and get crime number
2. Go to vaux with all my documents
3. pay ?85 + VAT !!! to order another
4. Wait at least 5 weeks more realistically 8 for it to arrive!

You can imagine the mood I was in when I was told about this. 8 weeks without the car I was realllly annoyed. I argued my case that the details were on the car as in the test it simply says registration plates and VIN numbers. Luckily vaux were helpful and offered to check the rules for me, it turns out that having it stamped into the chassis IS enough and when I confronted the MOT test station they have agreed to pass the car (phew) but with advice to get a new VIN plate.

Now what I want to know is where can I get a new VIN plate? If you remember the 25k nova in Max Power a couple of months ago it has a carbon VIN plate so I would have thought this would be fine. Could anyone clear this up for me? Also any ideas on where I can get a new one made up (it doesn't have to be carbon!)

Lastly does anyone else have any MOT horror stories?! :D

Andrew

Ben (lurk75)
04-09-02, 12:01 AM
the test station should be able to advise you where to get one from, other than that contact the ministry of transport and ask them for advice as going to Vauxhall is always going to be expensive.

Dicko
04-09-02, 12:26 AM
go to liverpool and ask at a garaghe for a 'personalised VIN plate' lol, im sure they can 'knock' one up for you on thr spot ;)

Ben (lurk75)
04-09-02, 08:48 AM
lmao

yeah and you can have any engine number you want on it as well! :wink:

Andrew V
04-09-02, 10:08 AM
lol I've got the certificate now, the stress levels have gone down!

I'm seriously considering getting one knocked up it would be so much less hassle!

Ben (lurk75)
04-09-02, 10:48 AM
well its ok for 12 months now, and next year just take it to another test station and blag another year etc....

carltoncrazy
04-09-02, 11:57 AM
i got the stamp tool thing..............sumwhere.
its in the place i call the garage and others call the dump.
il do one for u m8,
wont look brilliant but b legal
long as it disply revent numbers.i.e engine chassis ya legal

Andrew V
04-09-02, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the offer although you are quite a distance from me, could just take the car back and blag it next year. Didn't get anything telling me I should get it done so they prob won't remember next year! :D

Thanks for the help lads

Ian
04-09-02, 10:24 PM
bretts was fine and passed mot with piece of carbon and stencilled info on it.

carltoncrazy
04-09-02, 10:48 PM
tho it shuldnt fail on that,
MOT is to check for safty,
it probley failed coz he culdnt be assed ot lift bit of carpet and get number,
give em the old certifcut next time.there prolbey jus copy it and not even look

Ste_Nova
09-09-02, 05:34 PM
there is a co in the autotrader who will knock them up.... bretts are attached to the floor...