PDA

View Full Version : Random MOT question

Jack
05-05-08, 07:41 PM
This may sound a bit daft, but I've had a search through the manual and can't find anything about it.

Would my car fail an MOT if the speedometer didn't work (for "didn't work", read: "wasn't connected")? If I draw a blank finding a new speedo cable in the next few days it could put a proverbial spanner in the works of getting the Nova to PVS.

Lee
05-05-08, 07:42 PM
Feck that, ill whoop the one out of the SR mate. Problem solved :)

Welsh Dan
05-05-08, 07:44 PM
Corsa B speedo cables fit.

Adam
05-05-08, 07:48 PM
No you dont need a working speedo

staggy_gsi
05-05-08, 07:50 PM
as far as im aware (i work in a test station), the speedo isnt a testable item, therefore it wont fail. the tester doesnt exactly drive the car, well, not fast enough to register anyway so chances are they wouldnt even notice it doesnt work....

brucer
05-05-08, 07:50 PM
dont think.considering all they should be doing is driving the car on the ramp etc,shouldny involve over 10mph.

Nova_Tek
05-05-08, 07:53 PM
^^ My thoughts aswell, the car only sits running for 10 mins and they dont drive during the test.

Jack
05-05-08, 08:00 PM
Cool :D Handy info on the speedo cable Dan, I think the local scrappy has a few corsas in as well as the odd nova. Lee, if I can't find one it might be wise to bring the SR cable - I can guess speed in the Celica but I don't trust myself in the Nova. And if I tried to use the sat nav on my phone, it would probably only just have picked up satellites by the time I arrived at the test station lol

Car gets driven on an MOT if its 4WD btw :p

Lee
05-05-08, 08:03 PM
lmfao, you still wont have a clue with a Nova speedo :p

Ill bring it anyway as the bolt that holds it down is obscure as feck so we'll need that as it is!

brucer
05-05-08, 08:21 PM
Car gets driven on an MOT if its 4WD btw :p

yeh because you use a tapley meter.:thumb:

Saloony
05-05-08, 09:14 PM
Come on lads think about it.. in theory a 2.0l nova would get tapley tested, as there is no recorded brake testing weights for a 2.0l nova as there wasn't one made, come on play the white man.

L33 LEG
05-05-08, 09:52 PM
you def dont need a speedo, my corsa didnt fail on it and the tester even drove the car and didnt say anything.

getting it mot'd next week, the mileage hasnt changed in 3 years lol