PDA

View Full Version : *HOW TO* Fit a Mk2 dash into a Mk1

Jack
04-05-08, 07:15 PM
This guide details how to remove the nasty Mk1 dash and fit the nicer, more modern Mk2 dash to your Mk1 Nova. The test vehicle used was a 1987 (E) base spec with a 1991 (J) GSi dash going in, although the process and wires should be the same for any Mk1 and Mk2 Nova.

I prefer to crimp my wires together, as this is easily removed later if you want to change some of the wiring or in case you make a mistake. Plus its a lot easier than soldering!

NOTE: I have written this guide mostly from memory and by poking at my currently semi-dashless saloon, hence no pictures. Consider it to be a rough guide, you may find one or two small things I've left out - if so, please post. HOWEVER, the wiring should be kosher as I've just spent most of two days with my head in Haynes checking all the wires, and have wired said test vehicle as such

Tools required:
Flat bladed screwdriver
Philips screwdriver
Star/Hex keys
10mm spanner or socket
Crimp connectors
Crimping tool

Items required:
Mk2 dash with all cowling
Mk2 heater cables
Mk2 steering column shroud
Mk2 switches (Headlight, Foglamp, Hazard, Centre Heater/Blower) with plugs and wires
Mk2 centre console (not essential, but recommended)
Mk2 heater ducting (all 3 pieces) if you want the side vents to work.

Step 1. Removal Of Mk1 Dash Attachments.
Remove the under dash tray (if present). Undo the three screws on the lower portion of the steering column shroud, and remove both bottom part then the top part (top may require some jiggling to get round the ignition barrell but it will come out). Mk1 dials are not held in by any bolts, so you can just push them out from behind - you'll need to undo the connector block and speedo cable. Remove the glovebox, this has four screws on the front - 2 above the door (open it to see them) and two below. Remember to undo the glovebox light as you remove it! Undo the heater control rods from the heater end, one blue clip either side. Remove the radio if required.

Step 2. Removal Of Mk1 Dash.
Undo the two philips screws either side of the dash (open the doors to see them). Undo the two 10mm nuts holding the top of the dash in place, these are located one behind the glovebox and one behind the dials, both just under the windscreen. Withdraw the dash slightly, and reach behind to unclip all the switch and light plugs.

Step 3. Connecting Mk2 Switch Plugs.
With the Mk1 dash removed from the car, its time to concentrate on the switch plugs. There are four main plugs: headlamp, hazard, heated RW/blower control and foglamp.

Headlamp
The Mk1 headlamp plug fits the Mk2 headlamp switch - HOWEVER, the Mk1 plug does NOT fit the Mk2 cowling. You need to chop the Mk2 plug on, but all the wires swap like for like.

Hazard
The wires are the same, but in different locations. Chop the Mk1 plug off the loom, and attach the Mk2 plug colour-for-colour.

Heated RW/Blower
Whilst the Mk2 switch fits the Mk1 plug, it won't function properly - Vauxhall swapped some of the wires round. Chop the Mk1 plug off the loom and connect the Mk2 as follows:

MK1 BL - GE MK2
MK1 GR - GR MK2
MK1 GE - SW MK2
MK1 BR - BR MK2
MK1 BRWS - BRWS MK2
MK1 SW - BL MK2

The top two connectors are for the illumination. If you are using a mk2 plug, these can be left alone. If you are rewiring a Mk1 plug, the chop looped black wire off at the end where i connects to the main feed black wire, and connect to the blue wire.

[EDIT] Note, this implies using a Mk1 plug on a Mk2 dash, i.e. having to cut the plug off and reconnect as above. If you're using a Mk2 plug, just connect colour for colour (which I think is where some of the confusion has come into the replies about this)

Foglamp
This one looks harder than it is. The Mk1 connector has 3 pins, whilst the Mk2 has 4 pins. However, the Mk2 has a looped connector on pin 4 (to pin 3) - follow the Mk2 loom up from the switch and you will see the looped connection. Ignore this loop and leave it as is, connect the grey/green wire that goes off into the loom to the yellow wire on the Mk1 loom.

Connect up any further illumination lamps.

Step 4. Install Mk2 Dash.
Position the Mk2 centre heater ducting atop the heater matrix. Insert the two side ducts if required (NOTE: if you have a poverty spec Mk1 heater, you will either need to cut out the side holes on the heater, or replace it with a Mk2 one). Place the Mk2 dash frame (i.e. no glovebox or cowling) into location, and put the switch wires into their appropriate places. Replace the 2 side screws on each side of the dash, and then the two nuts that hold the back of the dash in under the windscreen.

Step 5. Installing Mk2 Dash Attachments.
Connect cigarette lighter. Insert lamps for illuminating rotary controls. Connect heater control cables to heater (and rotary controls if not already on). Install centre vent cowling (with hazard switch) - one philips screw . Install right side cowling (with headlamp and foglamp switch). Install glovebox and attach glovebox lamp feed. Install steering column cowling (top half first, then lower half) and refit the 3 screws into the lower section as per Mk1.

Step 6. Installing Dials.
If using the Mk1 dials, follow section A. If using Mk2 dials, follow section B.

A. Using Mk1 Dials
From the drivers position, looking into the dialset space, there will be a top mount. Bend this down, and fit a bolt or large screw to it (tight). This will wedge the top half of the Mk1 dials into place. Connect the speedo cable and connector block to the back of the Mk1 dials, and push into place so that the bolt in the top mount pushes the dials outwards slightly. Install the dial cowling and screw into place (4 screws).

B. Using Mk2 Dials.
Mk2 dials have a 14-pin connector block, whilst the Mk1 has a 12 pin connector block - these need to be chopped over to allow the Mk2 dials to fit (Notes on this below). The speedo connects exactly the same. The Mk2 dials will also have three mounting points allowing it to bolt into the dash - fix a bolt in each, then fit the dialset cowling with the four hex screws to finish.

Jack
04-05-08, 09:06 PM
Swapping Mk1 dials to Mk2.

As mentioned above, the Mk2 dialset has a 14 pin connector, whilst the Mk1 only has a 12 pin connctor. So if you want to use Mk2 dials on a Mk1, you need to chop in the Mk2 connector block.

This diagram may also prove handy for people wanting to splice their wires onto Cavalier dials.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Cars/Mk1-Mk2.gif

Note:
1. Poverty spec Mk2 dials don't have a contact for Pin 7 (tach) on the back.
2. On the Mk1 dialset, Pin 12 connects to both Brake Fluid Warning and Handbrake On Warning. Whilst the Mk2 has seperate lamps for these, the Mk1 uses one lamp for both, but still has TWO cables.

Lynsey
04-05-08, 11:18 PM
Anyone Who Does This Is Gay!

noney82
04-05-08, 11:21 PM
it looks so much better when you see the end result the mk1 dash is plain and boring

Jack
04-05-08, 11:28 PM
Anyone Who Does This Is Gay!
You're a hobo

I forgot to mention as well. The Mk2 dash has a mount in the centre, at the bottom (on the centre tunnel). You may find the dash doesn't sit right, that it poke out at the bottom, but if you fit and screw in the centre console this can support it better

nova258
10-05-08, 09:24 PM
the nova is lego :P avery thing wou want to fitt it fits :)

thedjse
26-07-08, 10:11 PM
Right can someone help me out please i have managed to wire everything up apart from the heater blower switch

Heated RW/Blower
Whilst the Mk2 switch fits the Mk1 plug, it won't function properly - Vauxhall swapped some of the wires round. Chop the Mk1 plug off the loom and connect the Mk2 as follows:

MK1 BL - GE MK2
MK1 GR - GR MK2
MK1 GE - SW MK2
MK1 BR - BR MK2
MK1 BRSW - BRSW MK2
MK1 SW - BL MK2

The top two connectors are for the illumination. If you are using a mk2 plug, these can be left alone. If you are rewiring a Mk1 plug, the chop looped black wire off at the end where i connects to the main feed black wire, and connect to the blue wire.

Can someone explain these to me a bit simpiler please as in colours??

Thanks

Jack
26-07-08, 11:07 PM
The colours are there, I've used the haynes colour codes as it was easier than typing out the colours each time.

MK1 BL (blue) - GE (yellow) MK2
MK1 GR (grey) - GR (grey) MK2
MK1 GE (yellow) - SW (black) MK2
MK1 BR (brown) - BR (brown) MK2
MK1 BRWS (brown/white) - BRSW (brown/white) MK2
MK1 SW (black) - BL (blue) MK2

I think I did a diagram for it, but overwrote it with the hazard one. OOPS lol

thedjse
27-07-08, 09:17 AM
Thanks RJ Much appreciated!!!

thedjse
19-08-08, 09:34 PM
Realy struggling on the heater/blower switch wiredit up same as that but nothing happenin at all!! :confused:

Jack
28-08-08, 11:33 AM
Fuse? I don't have the manual to hand so dunno which one it is, but it should say on the fuse box cover.

thedjse
06-09-08, 04:53 PM
Its number 9 i think a 20amp but checked that too and still nothing

Any other things i should check mate?

thedjse
08-09-08, 09:01 AM
? :confused:

Andy
19-10-08, 01:27 PM
That doesnt make sense the wiring diagram for the blower,1-theres no brown and black-its a brown+white and 2 when i wired this up,it would only work on position 2.I then wired them like for like and it worked fine?!

Spudly
19-10-08, 03:34 PM
All wires should be like for like iirc but if you remember from you digi-dash swap andy, nova looms differ in colours across different models and years so thats probably where the error has occured.

God i feel so brave looking back as i did mine in 2002 with no guides or anything and apart from the odd switch light it all worked!

General Baxter
25-10-08, 11:11 PM
i know i dont need the headlight adjuster switch, but id still like it to light up,

please help :)

Ernie
26-10-08, 08:28 AM
Hi GB i think there is a green angrey wire on there.if you bridge that into another grey green and then do the same with the brown wire from the switch then it should light up.
Hope that helps.
Chris.

bmw156
30-10-08, 08:37 PM
hey, recently changed dashes, from mk1 to mk2, using this guide.

where it says the heater switch and you have to swap some colours. this was wrong for me, every wire i rewired went colour for colour. the way that RJ said made it work but was just on and off not speeds 1,2,3 off.

also if there were like 4 wires on the mk1 and 6 on the mk2, i would wire each one up and say there were two black mk2 and 1 on the mk1 loom i just wired the two black into one black if that makes sense, and it all works now.

hope this helps some poeple.
pm me with any questions

Andy
30-10-08, 09:33 PM
Same here.Everything is like for like.

Jack
30-10-08, 10:09 PM
Hmm, wasn't on the two I did.

Andy
30-10-08, 10:36 PM
This was my Breg 1l.Is there any variations in wiring?? With your guide all speeds were the same.Like for like was how it usually is????

bmw156
30-10-08, 11:47 PM
RJ were you doing loons???
i did a standard 1.2
maybe add that in the guide as it was a pain in the ass
many thanks
P.S the steeruing wheel was impossible to get off, took it to vauxhall and they couldnt get it off!!!

Jack
31-10-08, 09:10 AM
Yep, but wiring is the same on the saloon as it is on the hatchback.

browndk04
12-11-08, 06:52 PM
Just done this and followed the wiring diagram with success on everything except the heater. Like for like it's not even working and following the guide it only works on full power :roll: Any advice?

bmw156
12-11-08, 07:12 PM
i wired it up as this diagram said and it only worked on full power. then wired it like for like and it worked, are you sure you have all wires wired up?
if there are any double's coming from the mk2 then splice them into the one from the mk1 if that makes sense.
just double check you have all wires covered, or wire them lightly with no wire just to test it, is what i did.,
check fuses also??

Andy
17-11-08, 10:04 PM
What did people do for the heater cables? I know you need mk2 cables and i have them.Was just wondering how they mount as after a quick look earlier they are different?

Jack
23-11-08, 11:14 PM
I've just checked the wiring diagrams with my car (as the dashboard is out at the mo) and all is wired up as per the instructions and working.

Not sure what you mean about the heater cables not fitting - both Mk1 and Mk2 have the same ends (heater end), only the control end is different, hence needing Mk2 cables...

Just done this and followed the wiring diagram with success on everything except the heater. Like for like it's not even working and following the guide it only works on full power :roll: Any advice?
Resistor on the blower motor could be dead - mine went the same way, replaced with a spare and it worked.

Curtoise
16-01-11, 08:19 PM
just done this today, went pretty well, except had to extend the earth wire for the headunit and now it doesnt have any power ? i will have a look tomorrow, also my mk2 center console does not go far enough under the dash and doesnt sit correctly it sits to far back. another problem i have encouterd is that the steering cowling when screwing it up to the colum it doesnt match the holes in the mk1 colum.
also what do you do with the rear wiper switch on the mk2 dash ????

Damo
16-01-11, 10:08 PM
^^^ rear wiper switch needs wiring into the wiper stalk as thats were mk2's are.

Mazz
16-01-11, 11:00 PM
are they?

brainsnova
16-01-11, 11:47 PM
Mk1 rear wiper switch was a toggle switch on the dash near the headlight switch . Mk2 was front and back combined in the stalk.

b16nov
06-11-11, 02:03 AM
hi have just got all parts for the conversion ecept heater control cables, also the bloke i got all from seemed to say i needed a mk2 heater box and matrix or wouldn't fit? is there any truth in this before i get all my dash out and play about with it?

brainsnova
06-11-11, 02:18 AM
No you just need the cables and the 3 bits of ducting

Curtoise
06-11-11, 12:10 PM
brains right, you need the cables these can be fitted after iirc but would be a pain, and the 3 bits of black tube ducting.

Jack
06-11-11, 01:25 PM
If your Mk1 didn't have side vents connected, you'll need to either switch to a Mk2 box or cut the holes out the side of the Mk1

b16nov
09-11-11, 10:11 PM
have just swapped all the wiring over and all ok on fog, headlights and hazzard, the heater only seems to work on the first setting and is quite powerful, nothing happens on the second or third setting, any help pls??????
have wired up with a few of the colurs miss-matching as told in page 1 but havent tried like for like just yet? has any one else had this happen?????

b16nov
09-11-11, 10:24 PM
also my front old speakers were attached to my mk1 dash but there are no speakers in my mk2? do these just bolt in easy enuff as i always prezoomed that there was a mounting bracket of some sort under the actual dash?????

brainsnova
09-11-11, 11:39 PM
Mk2 speakers are different and fit under the grilles on the top left and right of the dash accessed from above and your heater switch is wired wrong.

b16nov
10-11-11, 01:06 AM
heater switch was just colour to colour match and seems to be working fine at the moment, will try the speakers when it gets light, thanks to all