PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!!! bondage question! - spoiler URGENT

mikeoxford
03-09-02, 10:02 AM
hi all

how can i fit the spoiler to my tailgate?

i used the tailgate off my old car without spoilers, drilled the holes, fitted a GTE wrap around one, with a custom one on top.

i have used the bolts at the top to temporarily hold it on to see what it looks like, but i need to secure the sides and the top stronger really - im worried about drag caused by extra spoiler.

i thought about double sided carpet tape down the sides? and then heard about araldite or using another glue or even an epoxy.

i need a quick(ish) solution PLEASE guys cos i need to have this on for trax on sunday! also need a solution using parts that are readily available, so no obscure stuff PLEASE!

any help would be greatful

Ben (lurk75)
03-09-02, 11:14 AM
araldite is quality stuff but dont know how it would hold up with the amount of drag on it.

Go for an epoxy resin as this is what it does best! ask Ade what one he uses as i know he swears by one of them!

mikeoxford
03-09-02, 10:53 PM
cheers m8. wil give it a bash, will pm ade.

no doubt the novaload report will show me up if it does!!!

cheers
mike

mikeoxford
05-09-02, 10:22 PM
expoy resin?

whats that?

can someone mention some brand names??

im thinking of trying a VERY good dowsing of carpet double sided tape used in the house, will it hold up for trax at least???

mikeoxford
05-09-02, 11:08 PM
i had a poke about on the epc 2.4 and found that vauxhall sell the self adhesive stuff in a roll

comes on the spoilers as standard so should be more than upto the job, in areas it dosent go on ill use carpet tape as well. (extra drag caused by extra spoiler)

i tested a 4 inch square, put carpet tape on the kitchen work surface, ad stuck one of our trays to it, suprised me! took both hands and more force than i expected to shift it.

dont think it is upto the job alone tho.

cheers all

will report back on my findings

ade
06-09-02, 03:54 PM
see me pm m8. Epoxy resin's the same as araldite - basically you mix 2 tubes of glue together - a resin and a catalyst and it bonds within the hour. You can get fast drying stuff that goes off in 20 mins. Its like super thick resin - which you could also use - make sure you mask everything off around it though - epoxy resin is like melted cheese as far as the tendrils coming off it - you dot ewant to get it on other bodywork!

I used it on my mk1 - had no bolts at all - just glued the bugger on - held for 3 yrs ands thats in west coast of scotlands salty sea air and freezing weather!!!

Ade