PDA

View Full Version : oil light

General Baxter
04-05-08, 03:01 PM
what would cause this to flash (digi dash) :roll:

the story

started engine yesterday, was a slight tap at the top end, tipped some wyanes oil treatment in (like syrup), ran it for about 100mile all good

went to bed,

come out this morn, removed battery, and done a spot of welding for when i get the bigger engine, started car, oil light flashing, give it a little rev still flashing, let it warm up see if it would go off, still flashing, droped 90% of the oil changed for new, still flashing,

i can not even touch the cam belt cover its that hot now, and when i take the oil cap off with it running, i dont get oil everywhere

AlexW
04-05-08, 03:28 PM
My lack of mechanical skills makes me belive oil pump? or a blocked pipe somewhere? :confused:

meritlover
04-05-08, 04:13 PM
you will have to fit a proper gauge to confirm whether its genuine oil pressure or a faulty of the dash.

you have 2 scenarios,
youve damaged an IC in the dash by welding (very unlikely)
or
you have a sad engine with next to no oil pressure

General Baxter
04-05-08, 04:21 PM
well iv just taken the sump off and half of it is full of sealer, and jammed in the pick up pipe i mean WTF, it looks like bath room sealer

meritlover
04-05-08, 04:23 PM
congratulations, theres your problem :thumb:

draper
04-05-08, 04:23 PM
gotta love scrapyard engines

meritlover
04-05-08, 04:25 PM
i love ALL nova engines, with a passion

General Baxter
04-05-08, 04:26 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/pickuppipe.jpg

General Baxter
04-05-08, 04:27 PM
gotta love scrapyard engines

sorry but the block come from adam, and i cleaned the sump and pick up pipe before fitting, so i have no idea, id understand if it was red, as thats the gasket sealer in using :roll:

meritlover
04-05-08, 04:31 PM
what a criminal violation!!!
that is a horrible use of SILICONE!! thats why it should never be used. Hylomar blue is a much better product.

oh i do hope that the white metal on your bearings are ok!!!! that will have been almost totally starved of an oil!!

it is a good thing you were prompted to check the oil rather than continue to drive and blame the light!! you are a wise man! please i wish you well with the future of your engine and hope that it is not scarred for life! and do not blame the nova for this problem it is not its fault!!!

Adam
04-05-08, 04:49 PM
Hmm.
When i did the sump gasket on that block, i used a new gm rubber one, cant remember using any sealent tbh?

Unless its sealent you used on the cam housing, thats circulated down the supply holes in the head and found its way into the sump? I dont see the sealent keeping its red colour after going through the oil galleries etc

General Baxter
04-05-08, 04:52 PM
theres that much in the sump i could go round my bath twice lol

Adam
04-05-08, 05:14 PM
Anything to do with using silicone sealer instead of a rocker cover gasket do you recon? lol lol :p

General Baxter
04-05-08, 05:35 PM
Anything to do with using silicone sealer instead of a rocker cover gasket do you recon? lol lol :p

that was the proper gasket sealer stuff, and there were a 'few' red bits in the bottom on the sump,

bah humbug i blame you :thumb: lol

all better now tho :D

Adam
04-05-08, 05:40 PM
But i did 4k on it before i removed it, so it had plenty of time to die on me....
Which it didn't ;)