PDA

View Full Version : HSE warning about angle grinders :)

Stuart
03-09-02, 12:26 AM
today i had a brief trailer for the highlight reel of my lifes events. twas scary to cay the least. was using the angle grinder (in cutting mode) grinder kicked out and i managed to throw it away from me, after it had scraped my upper left breast.

it only stings and is a bit of a graze, but bugger did i suffer from shock for the next 30 mins, and my heart was racing major quick lol

moral to story, make sure youve got a good grip on yer tool ;) and dont grind above waist height

Tilly
03-09-02, 12:31 AM
so your saying grind bellow. Think thats dangerous for men :?

Ben (lurk75)
03-09-02, 10:44 AM
when i was 16 i got an aprenticeship as a fabricator, 9 days later i was using a pivot head saw and chopped my right index finger clean off! i also took a chunk out the back of my thumb and the inside of my middle finger. they replanted my finger in a 12 hour operation and i had to go to physio every day for 6 months afterwards. Since that i have had follow up operations to try and re-straighten my finger but it dosent work.

They got done for lack of safety equipment and lack of training as the guy who was training me admitted he taught me wrong to save time!

now i dont go anywhere near saws or grinders, still feel funny if see a saw like it.

GO CAREFULL

BrianS
03-09-02, 06:15 PM
Don't chuck it away!!!

You must be prepared for it to kick when you rip the sanding disc, or the cutter gets stuck. You need to have a tight grip all the time with an angle grinder!! You can't just chuck it down! Keep a tight hold of it!!

Mr_Moo
03-09-02, 06:46 PM
I think he was saying that he threw it away from him wen it had already cut him....so it didnt get more out of hand and cut him more!

dan16v
03-09-02, 07:46 PM
yea i dont think peps realise what there in for if it all goes wrong! im a pipefitter n ive seen so many injuries due to concentration lapses etc so rememba always wear eye and ear protection as you cant go down the shops n buy new ones!

carltoncrazy
03-09-02, 08:13 PM
paintfull injury i sufferd 2 yrs ago
changed rear spocket on my kx125,me being a dick head left it runngin in neturl whilst on the stand,whilst checkin the tension on the chain i knock it into 2nd,my HAND went around the chain n spocket,
it fuckin kill for bout 2 mnths.
stil got the marks and its dented the bone i think,coz u can feel it when u push my skin down.
serious cars r more dangous standing stil.lol
tho ive neva got myself with a grinder

locky
03-09-02, 11:36 PM
I use angle grinders all day long, id never use a cheap disc either, cos they shatter under stress, f me that hurts wen they do that!
Iv been to the infirmary x amount of times wher i go to do a quick job, and not use goggles, u geta a spark in ur eye that hurts, i always wear goggles now, iv only got 1 pair of eyes!
Dan 16v, wot pipes do u fit?
If hydraulic pipes, who do u work for?

dan16v
05-09-02, 06:48 PM
i work for vosper thonycroft m8 we build war ships for m o d i do hydraulic, water, hp air, plastic, cni the lot how bout you?