PDA

View Full Version : what issues when lowering a nova lots

8v screamer
03-05-08, 03:14 PM
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v241/16/3/1029869664/n1029869664_68563_6525.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=68564&id=1029869664)
Far from low enough

im about to oreder my coilovers from rennsport and have a quick question.
Are there any mechanical issues when slamming a nova between 80 and 100mm i,e parts that need upgrading from standard , or any major geometry issues.
Tyre rubbage isnt a problem as i can have any size spacers made and will sort the arches out at ny nates workshop.

cheers
Lloyd

meritlover
03-05-08, 04:11 PM
oh dear,

yes there will be geometry issues at the front, camber will be too negative, the CVs will be over stressed, the wishbone inner bushes will tear unless slackened off and reset.
rears, axle will foul exhaust, and it will handle like a bad car will.

craig green
03-05-08, 04:11 PM
Plenty of comments on the subject here.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97437

However it depends wether you want it slammed for looks or lowered, uprated & sorted for the handling?

Simply dropped to the floor, the geometry of the front wheels will suffer with negative camber issues, resulting in the inner edges of the tyres having a hard time & wearing unevenly with the rest of the middle & outer tread. As a result of the lesser tyre contact patch, the ultimate grip will be lower & the car will understeer & lose grip more readily when pushed hard.

However the handling can be reigned back in if you sort the negative camber with either lower camber bolts at the base of the dampers to hubs or use eccentric top mounts to alter the angle of the strut. It all starts to add to the cost & becomes more suitable for people looking to hone a track day car.

-50mm on the ride height is usually OK without resorting to sacrificing the grip or tyres. The rear will go as low as you'd want really, at the expense of tyre clearance & you must use et49 wheels & 45/ profile tyres. 6.5'' width being about the max too.

Coilovers are the best for adjustablity & supposed best option for track dayers & big engined cars. You can buy stiffer springs too if you upgraded to a big engine or wanted to tune the ride further.

Its a minefield tbh. What are your plans for the car?

8v screamer
03-05-08, 04:32 PM
the car is going to be a low street sleeper on 15inch cavalier gsi wheels, i have an overbored 1400 8v mpi lump on throttle bodies to go in, with a big ported head,cam etc etc should be making around 120 - 130 bhp.
Its going to be used purely as a street car, i think i may still fit the coil overs but not drop past the 60mm mark.
cheers for the info guys.
Lloyd

meritlover
03-05-08, 04:38 PM
60 is reasonable as long as you dont go below. do as Mr Green says and you will be blessed with a good nova.
you will have to work hard to get a 130hp from a 1.4

8v screamer
04-05-08, 09:33 AM
well 2 and half grand has been thrown at that engine so it should be pretty close , it has had a lot done.