PDA

View Full Version : setting up my twin 40 webbers

shaneyboi35
03-05-08, 09:15 AM
brought the car last night, but its running really lumpy at the moment because the twin 40's need setting up again, i kno i can just take it downand get them properly tuned but i thought id have a go my self whilst its just sitting there. any ideas?

meritlover
03-05-08, 09:18 AM
start by checking the timing, adjusting the linkage to give correct travel and slack, balancing them, then the mixture. dont just go randomly twiddling screws in the hope that it will just start purring like the beautiful leopard that it is.

Adam
03-05-08, 11:42 AM
You cant have a go yourself really, as if the jets needed changing, they need changing....

You can adjust the idle mix and the throttle balance, but thats all.

tom_beverley
03-05-08, 12:36 PM
purring like the beautiful leopard that it is. LOL lol

If you really want to have a crack at it yourself then Meritlovers comments are good steps, if you get stuck there are some good carb tuning books available too. If you've got good ears its possible to balance the carbs roughly by listening via a pipe to each choke, otherwise buy a carb balancing tool. Most importantly don't go altering settings willy nilly as you will be lucky to get them running right yourself - maybe record where things are set to BEFORE altering anything would be my advice!

Personally, I'd get it running reasonably well and then take it to get tuned properly. If your near the north east/north yorkshire then I know Bogg Brothers (01944 738234) near Malton are really good and will only set you back ~£80 for a tune.