PDA

View Full Version : Would an XE...

Mike
03-05-08, 07:38 AM
be able to adequatly pull a Nova GTE/GSi on a twin axle trailer?

John
03-05-08, 07:51 AM
can't see any reason why not mike, what's the xe in? a nova or astra/cav.

John
03-05-08, 07:52 AM
iirc will f runs an xe combo as a tow mobile.

Mike
03-05-08, 07:54 AM
Im yet to buy the XE, but it'll either be in a Nova/Corsa/Astra or Cav tho lol

Personally i dont think a Nova/Corsa XE would like pulling a trailer anyway lol the rear suspension would get hammered I reckon.

John
03-05-08, 09:26 AM
much better in cav/astra form as a tower i'd say.

meritlover
03-05-08, 09:30 AM
you need something with a good weight, not just a torquey engine. damage to the car suspension shouldnt be an issue as the nose weights should be low if the trailer is loaded correctly over the axles. the problem is descending a hill and the car has to brake for the trailer, if its not heavy enough, it will want to jack-knife.

General Baxter
03-05-08, 11:06 AM
well burgo was planning on towing his other loon to pv with his 1.2 loon lol

the max gros weight is about 1.8ton so work it out :)

Sturge
03-05-08, 11:14 AM
Think Burgo will find that's well over the max combined weight for the nova lol

cav xe will do it no probs, i towed an e30 325 bm back from norwich with my old cav td, was a bit too much for it really but did it ok, also towed the same bm on a funked trailer with an astra estate na diesel, that was definately too much but think that was more down to the trailer and the lack of power. Cav will tow a nova all day long as long as the trailer's not too heavy. Just make sure the trailer has decent brakes!

Also depending on when you passed your test, max towing weight is 750kg OR heavier providing the combined weight is less than 2.8 tonne. My old trailer was 750kg, stick a 780kg Nova on that you're already over 1.5!

Ernie
04-05-08, 12:44 AM
That dont sound to safe to me fella but make sure you film it if you do as it will be a huge hit on youtube lol.

Mike
04-05-08, 11:55 AM
Do you reckon an XE Nova Van would pull both a light weight trailer and my stripped out GSi? (GSi weights about 730kg now)

General Baxter
04-05-08, 11:58 AM
Do you reckon an XE Nova Van would pull both a light weight trailer and my stripped out GSi? (GSi weights about 730kg now)

piss easy lol

might have a problem with the license unless your trailer weights 20kg lol

Mike
04-05-08, 12:00 PM
piss easy lol

might have a problem with the license unless your trailer weights 20kg lol

Yea apparently i can only tow upto 750kg.......like thats going to stop me anyway lol lol

db_1.2
04-05-08, 05:37 PM
Meh, whats the worst that could happen?

We tow all the time using a Disco and even that jack knives sometimes with the right car behind it on a bar. But never had any trouble with the trailer and weight issues, although we have used a 205 diesel to pull it with a car once for a laugh, in all truth it didnt like going or stopping, but we never took it onto the road to actually try it as you would use it,in my opinion i wouldnt even try to pull a trailer with a nova as its not just your vehicle on the road thats at risk. If your gonna tow i'd do it properly because for one your more likely to get stopped and its a bit more complicated than just driving and stopping a car.

Why not try a dolly?

General Baxter
04-05-08, 05:50 PM
Why not try a dolly?

becasue there for emergancy use only ;)

db_1.2
04-05-08, 06:22 PM
becasue there for emergancy use only ;)

Are they? Never realised, never really understood how they work but they look like they work well.

twistysnovagte
04-05-08, 07:39 PM
used a astra estate 1.7td twice to pull a 3.5t digger as the transit broke down,it did strugglr to pull it but once it was on the move all ok,untill the lights changed:eek: lol

Dod
05-05-08, 08:30 PM
Hi, just spotted this message. If you meet the wrong cop, it can all go belly up with regards to towing. Over here its illegal to tow a car transporter with a car or even a small van such as a Combo. You need at the bare minimum a Transit sized motor.

General Baxter
05-05-08, 08:31 PM
a nice modded TD nova van would pull it easy lol

mayhem
07-05-08, 03:53 PM
dont know about a trailer, but i easely towed my mates astra mk3 16v with my nova xe.

craig green
08-05-08, 11:21 AM
Its the clutch I'd feel sorry for.....

Dod
08-05-08, 11:50 AM
LOL, I just remembered, I used to use a 1.1 Fiesta to tow my Cavalier when we were going to Track day it. WOW, that was ****!!