PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel problems.

NovaLad
02-05-08, 04:57 PM
Only just started happening or noticed the past day or so.

When i pull the steering wheel even a bit it pulls out then i can push it back in.

It's starting to worry me as i don't want to be driving and end up with the steering wheel becoming disconnected.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

How can i sort it?

meritlover
02-05-08, 04:59 PM
sounds like the column is worn. check the shear bolts are tight in the slides (if the whole column moves) if the wheel/spindles mooves independantly of the column then theres internal wear in a thrust washer/circlip

AlexW
02-05-08, 05:00 PM
could be the bolt behind the horn (althou i doubt it) or could be a connector is there one half way down the colum on a nova? havnt looked myself...

I remember my mums clio had that sort of prob it was due to the connector 3/4 of the way down the collum the rubber bush had gone. welded it up and never had a prob with it

NovaLad
02-05-08, 05:01 PM
My uncle changed the horn on my nova for M.O.T but don't know if he had to mess about with the bolts in the steering wheel for it.

Iain
02-05-08, 05:05 PM
Check it then. It's only a few seconds to check its on and tight!

NovaLad
02-05-08, 05:15 PM
Do i just pull the horn off unclip the wires and theirs a bolt behind it?

Iain
02-05-08, 05:16 PM
Remove the horn and you'll see a threaded shaft in the middle with a nut on.

You need to check if it's the wheel, shaft or entire column moving though as mentioned above.

meritlover
02-05-08, 05:16 PM
theres a nut, yes.

NovaLad
02-05-08, 05:17 PM
Ok let me go have a tinker with the shaft and nut brb.

NovaLad
02-05-08, 05:20 PM
Ok the nut is fine it doesn't seem loose or anything but their is still play behind it.

Aslong as the nut is on then it should be fine shouldn't it?

meritlover
02-05-08, 05:26 PM
as long as the nut is TIGHT it should be fine.

where is the play exactly?

NovaLad
02-05-08, 05:27 PM
At the very back of the steering wheel where it goes into the plastic bit

meritlover
02-05-08, 05:33 PM
but is the wheel moving independant of the spindle, or is the spindle and the wheel moving together in the column?

NovaLad
02-05-08, 05:34 PM
Everything turns fine but it pulls out and is freeking me out when i'm on teh motorway lol.

meritlover
02-05-08, 05:38 PM
AAAHHH!! WTF is pulling out? im tired of asking.

Iain
02-05-08, 05:38 PM
You have a lot of patience Meritlover lol

NovaLad
02-05-08, 05:39 PM
The steering wheel physicly pulls out towards me.

Iain
02-05-08, 05:41 PM
No way! Why didn't you say so. :roll:

but is the wheel moving independant of the spindle, or is the spindle and the wheel moving together in the column?

Answer this question.

NovaLad
02-05-08, 05:41 PM
WTF is the spindle lol

That's a shopping centre around my way... Spindles.

meritlover
02-05-08, 05:44 PM
the steering shaft. the thing with the taper/spline that bolts to your wheel to transfer the rotating motion to your rack!!

NovaLad
02-05-08, 05:45 PM
I don't know i don't think it is.

I could be wrong.

I don't know what i'm looking at. or if i can even see it.

All i know is that the steering wheel physicly pulls out towards me.

Iain
02-05-08, 05:46 PM
Look at the whole column from underneath and pull it in and out to determine what's moving.

meritlover
02-05-08, 06:04 PM
well if you dont know, im fu**t if i can work it out

jimbob-mcgrew
02-05-08, 09:10 PM
lmao this thread... nova lad, get down low on your hands and knees and have a butchers in the drivers footwell, right next to the clutch pedal, almost directly behind it, theres a section of the steering column that slots into the guide on the steering rack, what meritlover mentioned before, check those shear bolts.. i cant remember the size exactly.. but i think youll need a 13mm spanner or socket, check thats tight. if theres no prob there, i would say check the main column bolts, theres 3 of them, 2 at the topside of it, prety much directly under the main dials (speedo/rev/etc) and one further down about half way bolted near or next to the brake light switch.. but i doubt if they were loose it would move toward you, only jiggle about. i dont know the technical names but what someone else was on about on the first page with play in the bush etc, might need a look at if u cant find anything obvious.

AlexW
02-05-08, 09:31 PM
Another susgestion..... Get someone who knows what there doing to take a look... Sorry novalad

mowgli
02-05-08, 09:40 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST, TIGHTEN THE NUT ON THE STEERING WHEEL & MAKE SURE THE LOCK TAB IS BENT ON IT, & THEN IF THE WHEEL IS STILL LOOSE, DO NOT DRIVE IT UNTIL SOMEONE MECHANICALLY COMPETENT LOOKS AT IT.....

Sorry to shout, but I don't want to have to pay my respects to you as you pass by slowly, if you get what I mean.................

Lee
02-05-08, 09:47 PM
Use the spring compressors again! lol

EDIT: we have this smiley for things like this by the way >>>> :wall:

NovaLad
02-05-08, 11:43 PM
I'ma drive it till i die anyway it's a bloody nova lol.

I'll get someone to look at it.