PDA

View Full Version : coilover help wanted if you please

scottydogg38
02-05-08, 09:43 AM
hi, i want to update the suspension on my 1.2 nova because it's getting a little old now, i heard coilovers were the best option, although i mite struggle to find space for them at the rear, apparently. is this true? and i have also heard that when you do fit them, that you take your car as low as possible, but i live by alot of speed bumps :confused: lol and finally which makes do you find work well and which would you recomend? sorry for all those questions but any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :D

meritlover
02-05-08, 09:48 AM
hi, i want to update the suspension on my 1.2 nova because it's getting a little old now, i heard coilovers were the best option, although i mite struggle to find space for them at the rear, apparently. is this true? and i have also heard that when you do fit them, that you take your car as low as possible, but i live by alot of speed bumps :confused: lol and finally which makes do you find work well and which would you recomend? sorry for all those questions but any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :D

height is adjustable,
rears may suffer clearence in the inside edge of the tyre depinging on width/offest.
to do the rears properly, you should brace the OE top damper mount and strengthen it as this will be taking the weight of the car now apposed to the chassis leg where the spring used to mount.
make/manufacturer depends on budget.

The Simps
02-05-08, 10:35 AM
I say it depends what your long term plans with the car are. If you're going for an xe/let in the future and want it to handle right then you'll end up with coilovers anyway.

Coilovers are the best route to go for handling because of the adjustability, swapping of spring rates etc.

As far as rear clearance goes as said above. Depends mainly what wheels you're running. I was running sofstars on my old nova and they cleared fine and I only had to hammer one side on the rear arch for it all to clear.

You don't have to brace up or turret the rear, its better, but not necessary. If its a trackcar I'd say yes but for normal drivng and a 1.2 you'll be fine. Its 3 skins thick back there.

If you've got a lot of bumpy your way I'd suggest getting something like the yellow bilstein dampers and some eibach 35mm springs. Won't sit silly low but will handle ace on the back roads.

If you want coilovers I've been happy with my avo's but a lot of others swear by Gaz and I must admit the build quality of them does look ace. Expect to pay around £450-600 for new coilovers.

The Simps
02-05-08, 10:39 AM
The above is all from personal experience and just my opinion. I used to run the yellow billies setup and on norfolk back roads it felt great. The ride height was like this....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/Nova/P5080019.jpg

The only reason I went to coilovers is I found them too soft on track. The coilovers felt much better on track but were way to hard for back road fun anymore :(

craig green
02-05-08, 10:43 AM
On a 1.2, I'd say use regular shack & spring combo tbh, unless an engine transplant is around the corner.

Just stay away from GMAX & other boy racer nancy branded stuff & it'll be fine. A -40mm drop should be fine striking a balance between looks & road holding. If you havent fitted them already, get some GTE/SR type sports seats in.