PDA

View Full Version : Uneven tyre wear

Dicko
02-09-02, 05:18 PM
Iv had various novas as some of you will know.

my nova is a k-reg sri with a corsa gsi 16v engine fitted.

when it was a 1.4 when i got it, the inner side of the tyres had more wear than the outer side.

The car is lowered 65mm at the front.

I did the camber mod and moved my suspension tops out by 6mm, i then went to a local garage where they set the tracking. (very good place does work for rally's etc)

now iv had new tyres a few months ago and iv noticed that they are still wearing alot more on the inner edge.

has anybody else hadthis problem? do i needto move my camber further over?

Anonymous
03-09-02, 10:30 AM
Get the camber checked, thats the only way to tell if it needs moving over, you probably dont want any more than 1 or 2 degree of neg on there.

If the wheels (or tyres rather) are wider than standard youll want it tracked straigther than the book figure too, i normally run mine at 0.5 degree of toe in, gets rid of a little understeer this way too.

Certain driving conditions do put more load on the inner edge than the outer, booting it off of roundabouts etc for example, so its fair to expect the inside to wear sligthly quicker anyway even when perfectly setup, so there may be no problem at all though!

Chip

mowgli
06-09-02, 09:44 PM
Don't take off too much camber, or under load only the outer edge will be working on the road, causing understeer big time.
When I had a set of Yoko A510s, the inner edge wore down in 5000 miles. before they got too bad, I got my local tyre man to swap them over ( they were directional) left to right. they lasted another 5000 miles easily, then got put on the back. that was with 30mm lowered spax, and straight tracking.
Total Vauxhall Mag reckoned that Novas should run with 2mm toe out. I would like to know if anyone does, and what the tyre life is.

CP
06-09-02, 11:50 PM
Well I reckon its pretty difficult to stop inner tyre wear on a performance front wheel drive car. For a start some negative camber is required which is straight away putting the load on the inner edge. If you like to drive rapidly this can only make it worse as far as i can see. Plus if you have significantly lowered it as you have and are running large wider low profile tyres its gonna compound it even more cos the camber mod that you have done may not be enough when being driven. I've noticed that many of the bigger more performance orientated std front wheel drive cars have the same probs.

You can buy or make your own camber testing equipment to check. I have done a fair job by rigging up a straight edge and a large set square with a spirit level or plumb bob line. Must be parked absolutely level to do this tho. The best solution is to get fully adjustable top mounts plus adjustable TCA's ?