PDA

View Full Version : 2 forms of induction

Breeny
02-09-02, 04:36 PM
Come on then geeks.... i wanna know how you can have 2 forms of induction IE twin carbs and a low pressure turbo ;)

Nothing is impossible!

Ben (lurk75)
02-09-02, 04:40 PM
Nothing is impossible!

no quiet true but some things are damn right mad![/quote]

Dicko
02-09-02, 05:28 PM
well you would have the twin carbs feeding fresh air into the system,. which is recirculating the compressed exhaust gases :) and then the nitro is squirted in after that ;)

muhahaha

Ben (lurk75)
02-09-02, 05:35 PM
so how hard is that to acheive or safe to do?

Chris_W
02-09-02, 08:59 PM
Breeny,
Give it up, the 40's are better! ;)
Seriously though, if you want to do it there's gonna be alot of fabrication involved for little, if any gain (yes I know your only doing it for the dumpvalve;))
First off you'd need to get a turbo manifold sorted out, and then a new downpipe. You could buy these from Courtenay amongst others, though the manifold alone is ?260 :O. Next up is to put on the turbo of your choice, then you can start worrying about your pipe work. Basically you'll need to pipe up somekind of induction cone and trunking to one side of the turbo, then from the otherside of the turbo you'll need to go through an intercooler, then from there you'll need to go up to your carbs. Your best bet is probably to get a box fabricated to go over the 40's with a 2" outlet on one side to connect to the pipe from the intercooler. You've also got to bare in mind that your turbo will probably need an oil supply, mine is taken from the block and the return goes into a new pipe welded into the sump.
Thats just the basics as I see it. I know it isn't 100% correct, but I don't claim to be an expert, they'll reply later ;), but it gives you an idea of the work involved. As for cost, I haven't a clue, I suppose a good raid on the breakers could get you a suitably cheap turbo and intercooler, but as I said there's gonna be a fair bit of fabrication involved for the air/fuel/water/oil pipework, and then the box for the 40's. Basically is it worth it? Only you can decide that.

HTH

Chris

PS. Windows and stereo still going ok? And what was that muppet in the golf on! LMAO

Breeny
02-09-02, 11:37 PM
lol yeh i know, im just gonna wait for the 16v turbo ;)

Yeh muppet in the gold :lol: was funny whooping his ass tho and he still wanted more mwhahaa

Dicko
03-09-02, 02:46 AM
there was a 16v turbo at billing wasnt there in a nova?

i did have the pic but lostthe lot :(

velos are working on a 300bhp 1.6 16v kit which is supposed to be released sometime soon :)

Anonymous
03-09-02, 10:12 AM
ALL turbo systems have to have either a carb or injection system as well, the turbo is jsut a way of pressuriving the air, the carb is a way of metering the amount of fuel that accompanies it.

Youd need to lower your CR a fair bit for even a low pressure turbo breeny, as im guessing your is running very high CR at the moment in order to produce the torque it does currently, jets and chokes in the carb would probably changing so would take a long time on the rollers to set up again, all of which is mroe expense.

Would not be worth the cost effort IMHO, youd be better off selling your engine and getting a standard injection 1.6 to turbo, or if you dont mind it getting a little less agile, go fro the C20LET lump.

Chip